Litter

ilovemyhades

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How often do you change out the cat litter? (We use tidy cats litter) Is there a better one we're supposed to be using that doesn't smell so fast?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hummmmmm.... I don't!
I use a great clumping litter (Dr. Elsey's precious cat), and just complete as needed. I clean it everyday, and once a week I clean the sides of the of the litter box with a disinfecting wipe...

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Hummmmmm.... I don't!
I use a great clumping litter (Dr. Elsey's precious cat), and just complete as needed. I clean it everyday, and once a week I clean the sides of the of the litter box with a disinfecting wipe...
I've been doing the same thing.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh good! now I feel normal.... I was afraid to post that
I probably wouldn't have had the courage if you didn't say it first ...But I'm sure someone will still say that's bad.....

HIJACK:
what do you do with the clumps after you scoop them out? Lol this may be a dumb question, but I've been throwing them in the trash, but our trash gets picked up once a week so I have a week worth of poop sitting in a trash bag in the garage waiting to be picked up. It's really gross...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Hummmmmm.... I don't!
yeah, me, too. i only 'clean' the box if someone is sick w/runny poop & it gets everywhere - hasn't happened in a long time.

Originally Posted by ut0pia

I probably wouldn't have had the courage if you didn't say it first ...But I'm sure someone will still say that's bad.....

HIJACK:
what do you do with the clumps after you scoop them out? Lol this may be a dumb question, but I've been throwing them in the trash, but our trash gets picked up once a week so I have a week worth of poop sitting in a trash bag in the garage waiting to be picked up. It's really gross...
and that's the reason my trash cans are in the garage.
those old clumps get even smellier w/age

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
For odor control I like TidyCats for multiple cats in the tubs with the turquoise lid. It's labeled for immediate odor control rather than long-lasting. The problem with that one is those little beads scatter all over the house. I've started using the Walmart Special Kitty litter in the green box. Odor control is pretty good and it doesn't track nearly as much. I do occasionally sprinkle sone baking soda in it if one of the cats has a really stinky poo.

I scoop the clumps into a heavy plastic garbage bag with baking soda in the bottom. I keep it in an old litter bucket with a tight lid until garbage pickup day, then toss the plastic bag in and save the bucket for the next load.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovemyhades

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I had never heard of this clumping litter beforre I think I might try that so I don't have to constantly change it out!

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't completely change out the litter either. I am relieved to see that others don't either. I only have one cat and I use the World's Best (which is clumping) and I scoop out 2 or 3 times a day (I don't work so I am home all day.) About once a week I take the box out in the yard, empty the litter into a large flat cardboard box and wash out the litter box. Then I leave both the box and litter out in the sun to dry and air out.

The World's Best Litter is flushable which is why I use it.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since getting Genever 2 months ago I use Arm & Hammer, I can't think of the name exactly but it's made of corn. But IMO a million times better than World's Best. I got that once and it STANK so bad and seemed really dusty so i scooped lots out at a time to get rid of it. And then i completely cleaned out the litter box. Otherwise i just scoop once a day unless there's an unusually stinky poo that needs to go immediately. Since i live on the 10th floor in an apartment I use plastic shopping bags and throw them down the trash chute. Fun times.

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use the tidy cat clumping kind.. With 15 cats i have 5 cat boxes and scoop them once a day..
Maybe twice a year i actually clean them outside with mr clean an the water hose..
Actually its about that time of the year

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We've been using Tidy Cats litter ever since our first cat 30 yrs. ago and don't see any reason to change. We've had good luck with it, the cats don't seem to mind and we are fastidious about keeping it clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovemyhades

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say thank you. We went out and bought the clumping litter by arm and hammer it works so good and it does't smell!!!!

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Arm and Hammer as well.I have 6 cats and 5 litter boxes.I scoop in the morning and at night.I also add fresh litter as needed and completly dump them and clean them out once a month.