Odd methods of picking sport pool winners?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
March Madness is upon us in the states, and the sports pools are everywhere. I don't follow sports very much, but do jump into pools just for the fun of it. Since I don't follow the teams, I have no idea how to pick the winners, so have developed weird ways to pick my teams.

I won a football pool once by picking the teams that had more "environmentally friendly" names. For example, the Bears had to beat the Packers. The Eagles had to beat the Rams, but only because eagles are more endangered than rams. And of course Redskins over Steelers.

I have a friend that has won pools by picking her favorite jersey colors.

For March Madness, I always pick heartland farm boy based teams over others, and next based on if I like the city or the area in the country. I've come close to winning using this method.

What method do you use to pick your teams in sports pools?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I write down the names of both teams next to one another and spin a pencil - whichever side the pencil points to is the team I pick to win.

I actually have a pretty good hit rate this way.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pick the teams based on which team's mascot would be able to beat up the other team's mascot. So, for example, I would suppose that a "Fighting Irish" should be able to take out a "Banana Slug". This gets difficult, though, when dealing with ambiguous team names. For example, what is a "Sooner" and could it beat up a "Hokie"?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

I pick the teams based on which team's mascot would be able to beat up the other team's mascot. So, for example, I would suppose that a "Fighting Irish" should be able to take out a "Banana Slug". This gets difficult, though, when dealing with ambiguous team names. For example, what is a "Sooner" and could it beat up a "Hokie"?

Had I actually been taking a sip of something, I would have spit it out on this answer. That is just too funny! I suspect it would be entertaining just to have a conversation on whether a Sooner could take out a Hokie!

I'm trying this next pool!