Building some cheap temporary kitty play things.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With the exception of Da Bird, I've found that Ally responds best to stuff I build for her. She's got at least $200 in stuff that I bought for her, but loves the few things I built more than them for some odd reason.

I am going to start building some stuff using PVC, rope, carpeting, and maybe some stuff that could be mounted, like a iScratch. Also, the PVC will be filled with copper shotgun shot to add weight so the unit doesn't tip over. I have to use copper or steel shot, because I don't want lead anywhere near them.

Any design ideas or photos would be great. I want to make stuff that would let Ollie and Ally play interactively.

Thanks.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest you search the forum for "tupper lair" or some combination of similar words. One of the most creative idea's I've seen for plastic storage containers. Other than that, cardboard boxes with holes cut in the sides and tops are every cat's favorite if you want something temporary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I just wanted to add that taking care of Ollie and getting my little boy feeling well takes priority, followed by keeping Ally happy, so this suff will be built probably in the middle of the night while they're asleep.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it comes to Jake- the best toy is something that has been stolen from my things
He will take my hair bands, socks, just a few minutes ago I found him playing with a little make up applicator brush... and I find the stuff scattered everywhere later. I don't mind and I just let him play with w/e.
You can make your own version of da bird. I found it works better if there is an actual objects on a string that's attached to a wand rather than the feathery things they sell...That way they can try to pull it from you ..It's really funny
But I think cats are like babies, if it's a toy it's less exciting than if it's something they see people use all the time lol

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cardbox castle that they both love it - it's ugly, but....... After these pictures I made some holes on the side, and they LOVE playing hide and seek in it!
It takes 5 minutes to make, and the only thing you need is empty boxes, a knife, and some tape.
Here it is:

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm... Carolialima, I can see making that out of coroplast for durability. I'll think about that. Thanks.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

Hmm... Carolialima, I can see making that out of coroplast for durability. I'll think about that. Thanks.
Sure! This one is lasting though.... The only problem is how ugly it is...
Another great thing you can do is to put shelves on the walls for them to climb/jump into. You can glue carpet on it so it's not a slippery. That is going to be my next cheap project!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Another great thing you can do is to put shelves on the walls for them to climb/jump into. You can glue carpet on it so it's not a slippery.
Slippery or not, I think he probably doesn't want Ally getting too high up.

Also, LawGuy, cats are naturally nocturnal. If you think you'll find peace at night, think again. They'll be in the middle of whatever you're doing trying to help.

A thread with some pictures of Skippymjp's "tupper lair".

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Also, LawGuy, cats are naturally nocturnal. If you think you'll find peace at night, think again. They'll be in the middle of whatever you're doing trying to help.
LOL I've never noticed cats were nocturnal before
I have one that sleeps 10 pm-5 am. Just like a lot of humans I'd say!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Mine adapt their habits around ours. If we're up they not far, if we're in bed at least one or even all three will be too. But I still hear Tomas and Sherman running through the house some nights at 3 am.

On a somewhat related note to that. Those driving after dusk till about 10-11pm, beware of cats being out more now that weather is warming up in most places. Here Monday nights (trash is put out to be picked up Tuesday morning) is very hazardous for any cats outside.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh no that makes me worried. I avoid driving that late in general..Okay so when I lived in a very urban area there were many cats around the streets around restaurants..And I've never had one disappear I've fed many as strays...But for some odd reason in suburbs and rural areas cats are so much worse at keeping themselves from being hit...I dunno why and can never figure it out!!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A thread with some pictures of Skippymjp's "tupper lair".
Originally Posted by ut0pia

LOL I've never noticed cats were nocturnal before
I have one that sleeps 10 pm-5 am. Just like a lot of humans I'd say!
Nora's most active time of day is between 2 and 4am. lol She's absolutely bonkers at this time.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I suggest you search the forum for "tupper lair" or some combination of similar words. One of the most creative idea's I've seen for plastic storage containers.
ah, yes, Mike's famous tupper lair! i even attempted a small version, myself - but it was never as popular as his seems to be!

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, LawGuy, cats are naturally nocturnal.
True, but Ally adapted pretty quickly and Ollie seems to sleep 90% of the time right now (sick kitty). I will do the same thing I did with Ally with Ollie when he's healthy and transition his natural rhythm.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For really cheap, gift wrap tissue paper!!! My two absolutely love when I leave some tissue paper on the floor - they pounce on it, hide under it, roll on it, etc.

I thought cats are most active between dawn and dusk, but mine have pretty much adapted to my work schedule - up at 4:30 and asleep by 9:30 or so. They do, however, meander around at midnight or 2:00 am as well.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh... I forgot to mention that this is just for use until I move.

Once I move, I plan to "pimp out my apartment" kitty style and have cat condos scratching/posts, etc. (the works).

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you seen my threads on constructing cheap kitty toys? There are a couple, with pictures, videos, etc.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ping pong balls in the bath tub. Wads of paper. Tie a cat toy to the end of a string and tie that to your back belt loop as you walk around your home. And my cat's favorite: an empty 30 pack box, preferably on a slippery surface that moves when they fling themselves into it.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since rummage sale season is soon to get underway, you could try checking some of those for 1 or 2-story cat condos. My cats LOVE the forts we got for free, close to free, or made ourselves.
If it's on clearance for dirt cheap, that counts too.
Those $3 cubes from Wal-Mart/Target are also very popular with our cats. More recently I got a crinkly tunnel and they all play with that too. $7 @ Wal-Mart. The home-made easy things I've done is just tossed a box on the floor. They tip it. They slide it. They chew on it. Generally it's well used by the time we toss it.
I've spoiled mine on catnip so they only want Ducky World catnip toys now.

My cats range in age from 1 year old to almost 12 years old and they all play with the forts we have. We have a big one my DH made too.