How to Explain???

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
how can i tell someone nicely that this is NOT a good food for cats? its sophistacat. i've tried telling them that cats are obligate carnivores so they do not need all of the corn in this food. they are conviced though because it is approved by AAFCO (is that right?) and has protien listed as a guarenteed analysis, its good for cats. i can't get them to understand that plant protien is hard for cats to digest, and there is little protien in this food that comes from animals.

Ground Yellow Corn, Digest of Chicken By-Products, Corn Gluten Meal, Pork and Bone Meal, Poultry By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Natural Flavors, Fish Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed-Tocopherols- source of Vitamin E), Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Salmon Meal, Tuna Meal, Beef and Bone Meal, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Caramel Color, Red Iron Oxide, Yellow Iron Oxide, Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A-Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Inositol, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I often use AFFCO = our RDA ... it will sustain life not make it optimal...

can you direct them to the site/??

Can they actually afford better??

Petsmart has literature ( at least here) showing the benefits of even mid grade premiums like Authority

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

sorry, looking at the ingreds in that food.

Could you give that person some links to websites explaining why that is not a good food?

My only advice is to educate..... that's all you can do. Back up what you are saying with articles/proof.

But ultimately, its that owner's choice. Before we knew what we know now, cats still lived long healthy lives (some did some didn't) so while I would not feed that food, it may work for her cat and budget.

Personally I consider that food the equivalent of me eating only deep fried fish sticks, or potato chips. yuck.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yuck. If you can't convince them to go to a really good food, at least tell them to try Purina Cat Chow. It's better than that junk, at least, and shouldn't cost much more. Baby steps

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It breaks your heart doesn't it?

I had to stop cat sitting for someone because I just couldn't continue being part of the way they care for their cats. Although I always say alittle prayer for them, and I never forget to tell my boys that they will always have the best I can provide for them.

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

It breaks your heart doesn't it?

I had to stop cat sitting for someone because I just couldn't continue being part of the way they care for their cats. Although I always say alittle prayer for them, and I never forget to tell my boys that they will always have the best I can provide for them.

Leslie
it is just really sad to have people still feeding their cats that. my farm cats are taken care of better than that! okay, so they are a bit unusual

i don't know if they have money to take care of their cats better than that, they are from another forum. the forum doesn't have PM's, and most sites will not let you give a link to a competing forum.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

it is just really sad to have people still feeding their cats that. my farm cats are taken care of better than that! okay, so they are a bit unusual

i don't know if they have money to take care of their cats better than that, they are from another forum. the forum doesn't have PM's, and most sites will not let you give a link to a competing forum.
Don't link to another forum, post a bunch of links about nutrition.... There's tons out there

In the food you posted, I'm more concerned about all the by-products (and I am a firm believer that not all by-products are bad) and "meals" listed, rather than the 2 corns.

Ingreds to avoid: http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodandn...voidingred.htm

about byproducts/meals/etc
http://www.homevet.com/petcare/foodbook.html

those 2 are pretty good at explaining why the food you listed is not good.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

how can i tell someone nicely that this is NOT a good food for cats? its sophistacat. i've tried telling them that cats are obligate carnivores so they do not need all of the corn in this food. they are conviced though because it is approved by AAFCO (is that right?) and has protien listed as a guarenteed analysis, its good for cats. i can't get them to understand that plant protien is hard for cats to digest, and there is little protien in this food that comes from animals.

Ground Yellow Cornfine but not first give the bulk of the nutrients , Digest of Chicken By-Products this is NOT a by product it is a chemically or enzymatically treated by product , Corn Gluten Mealcorn protein fine but not with corn , Pork and Bone Mealpork is not a good cat meat and this could be 80 bone and 20 meat meal , Poultry By-Product Mealanything that flys head ft and internal organs ( including vessels ), Soybean Meal, Natural Flavors, Fish Meal, Animal Fat soy is a thyroid and allergen issue.. flavors can include almost anything including msg .. who is the fish(preserved with mixed-Tocopherols- source of Vitamin E), Brewers Dried Yeast, Saltallergen and way to high IMHO it is adding flavor , Salmon Meal, Tuna Meal, Beef and Bone Meal, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Caramel Color, Red Iron Oxide, Yellow Iron Oxide, Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A-Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Inositol, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.
maybe dissect it :_)