Powdered Cellulose???

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
one of the foods that i found has powdered cellulose (sp?) as the 10th ingrediant. i can not for the life of me remember what the brand is called though! the first two ingrediants are chicken and chicken meal then rice and fat i believe. isn't powdered cellulose a fancy word for sawdust?

also has anyone used these brands and are they good or not? did your cats like them?:

-Pinnacle
-Natural Balance
-Instinct
-Felidae
-Taste of the Wild
-Wellness

sorry for having so many questions!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

one of the foods that i found has powdered cellulose (sp?) as the 10th ingrediant. i can not for the life of me remember what the brand is called though! the first two ingrediants are chicken and chicken meal then rice and fat i believe. isn't powdered cellulose a fancy word for sawdust?

also has anyone used these brands and are they good or not? did your cats like them?:

-Pinnacle
-Natural Balance
-Instinct
-Felidae
-Taste of the Wild
-Wellness

I have used Wellness - it's a great food, the cats liked it, but it was too pricey for me. I am feeding them Orijen now, which is the same quality (better, cleaner formula, in my opinion), and a little more affordable. TOTW (taste of the wild) is also a good and affordable grain free food. Felidae is also good, but too much grains and carbs, IMO. The other ones I don't know...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

-Pinnacle- decent
-Natural Balance- good but often too rich
-Instinct- very good just many not fond of taste
-Felidae- chn and rice good other decent
-Taste of the Wild- I like for quality and price
-Wellness- good reg is grainy ... core can be to rich

Unless stated otherwise yes it is safe to assume cellulose is sawdust or another completely indigestible fiber....

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just so you know, powdered cellulose is used in human food, too. If you have a shaker can of parmesan cheese, look on the label, powdered cellulose is one of the ingredients. It helps keep the cheese from sticking together so that it easily shakes out of the can. Some brands of high-fiber bread, also, use powdered cellulose to raise the dietary fiber level. It is used as a thickener and a stabalizer in other foods and in pharmiceuticals.

If it doesn't bother you to eat it yourself then it probably doesn't matter if your cat eats it.

Do a Google search on 'powdered cellulose'. You will be surprised. To me this is a minor thing to worry about compared to melamine, salmonella, ethoxyquin, etc. that contaminate our pet's food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
http://www.professionalpetfood.com/p...plete_formula/

thats the company's website that i could not remember! apparently the adult food is differant than the kitten-the one i have samples of. the farm cats went crazy over the kitten formula.

they say the powdered cellulose is to help control hairballs. IF it would actually, right now it would be good to add a hairball food to their food, because so many of them are having hairball problems right now. i can't give them all hairball medicene because most of them aren't that tame. or is there a better choice for hairball food????

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are not humans, they have a LOW need for any form of fiber and indigestible ( ie what we call insoluble )is negligible... Yes it could help with hairballs but so would any bran ie oat is a common good one , wheat ( which can be a common form of cellulose along with sawdust but I ?? why not label as such
, it can also come from some veggies ... ... I would NOT eat it myself unless it was specified what plant the cellulose came from
... MY main reason is the allergy concern of accidentally poisoning a cat or human who is allergic to the specific plant used without being labelled

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Powdered cellulose
A natural plant fiber source. This ingredient is highly refined, a white powder that provides insoluble fiber to the diet. The purpose of insoluble fiber is to lower calories or help control hairballs in cats.
that is what their website defines it as. i emailed them asking the exact plant fiber, so if they give me a round about answer or don't email back, i am not going to use their food. also if it is bad 'natural plant fiber' i won't use it.

thanks for helping!

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
all they will say is that it comes from 'various plant sources'. so i think that food is out.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

all they will say is that it comes from 'various plant sources'. so i think that food is out.
I love those replys

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

-Pinnacle
-Natural Balance
-Instinct
-Felidae
-Taste of the Wild
-Wellness

Taste of the Wild is a great food IMO.... It is what I feed. I tried Wellness Core, and it was way too rich for my cat's tummy. (diarhrea, stinky stinky stinky).

I can't comment on the others...although I did try a trial pack of Felidae, and I wasn't impressed with the ingreds.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I love those replys
lol ya
they said it was from the plants, though it wasn't sawdust. though technically isn't a tree a plant? it also made it sound like it was the leftover stuff that you can't use in people food. so why not call it plant by-products instead?

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's used as a filler. Cheap filler. Hill's uses it in all their food too. I'm not sure about Medi-cal/Royal Canin but these foods cost so muchyet people are conned into paying ridiculous amounts for sawdust.

You can also try Nature's Variety Instinct food. They also make Prarie which is not grain-free; their canned food is called Homestyle and it looks like stew youd make at home.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

It's used as a filler. Cheap filler. Hill's uses it in all their food too. I'm not sure about Medi-cal/Royal Canin but these foods cost so much yet people are conned into paying ridiculous amounts for sawdust.
can't speak for all the varieties of RC, but the one i feed doesn't have this as an ingredient.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

It's used as a filler. Cheap filler. Hill's uses it in all their food too. I'm not sure about Medi-cal/Royal Canin but these foods cost so muchyet people are conned into paying ridiculous amounts for sawdust.

You can also try Nature's Variety Instinct food. They also make Prarie which is not grain-free; their canned food is called Homestyle and it looks like stew youd make at home.
RC actually will tell you what theirs is ... last time and for the bag I used ( a few yrs ago) it was in fact wheat fiber

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
*sigh* i emailed again and asked what the ingrediants are in the powdered cellulose because some of the farm cats are allergic to certain plants. if i email back again and say exactly what plants they are allergic to they will say if those certain plants are ever used in powdered cellulose. i am not sure exactly what they farm cats have problems with, but after switching away from wheat/corn/soy they did much better, so i am going to say those.

and they say that the adult food doesn't contain any... the food is about 50% meat btw, another thing i asked.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

*sigh* i emailed again and asked what the ingrediants are in the powdered cellulose because some of the farm cats are allergic to certain plants. if i email back again and say exactly what plants they are allergic to they will say if those certain plants are ever used in powdered cellulose. i am not sure exactly what they farm cats have problems with, but after switching away from wheat/corn/soy they did much better, so i am going to say those.
There probably isn't much point in asking. If they are including it just as a source of insoluble fiber the exact composition of it may change from time to time.

joy92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
not familiar with all those brands, but my cats (2) hated Wellness.....

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried them all and natural balance ultra wins hands down on sale at chewy.com. It is good food at reasonable price you can get 5.5 ounce cans if you have two cats like me

allison grondin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
powdered celluose is made from maple trees,not exactly sawdust but my cat has developed ibd and i think it is the powdered celluose that caused her flare-ups,maybe superstitious but the fact that once i switched to another food without it and she improved at all,tells me it might be the thing .the bad news is it is everywhere in most of the foods which limits my cats options if there is another thing she is reacting to.Camille and Allison