Prayers, vibes, candles...do it all

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow morning we go to court to find out if we get to keep my 4 week old great nephew. My fiancee and I are wanting to adopt him and tomorrow we find out if we get to bring him home. He's been here for a week and some other family members got social services involved so there is a chance this sweet little baby boy will end up in foster care, we really REALLY want him to come home with us where we know he is safe and cared for. Any vibes for this little angel would be wonderful.

Thanks!!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everything works out for that precious little baby. Make sure you let everyone know what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As soon as we get home I will let everyone know. Thanks for all the vibes. If we bring him home I'll get pics of him up ASAP.

Thanks again

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many for you, and your nephew (what is his name?)

I'm sorry if this is out of place but....

why on earth would a child who has family, be put into foster care? I don't understand it. I can understand if there was an abusive situation, etc... but when you have been caring for them, why would they take him away?

It just doesn't seem right to me. I do not know anything about your adoption or social service and the procedures.

I hope he gets to stay with you.... someone who knows him and loves him. You will be in my thoughts.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Many for you, and your nephew (what is his name?)

I'm sorry if this is out of place but....

why on earth would a child who has family, be put into foster care? I don't understand it. I can understand if there was an abusive situation, etc... but when you have been caring for them, why would they take him away?

It just doesn't seem right to me. I do not know anything about your adoption or social service and the procedures.

I hope he gets to stay with you.... someone who knows him and loves him. You will be in my thoughts.
Okay, let me see if I can get this in order of how it happened. My niece had the baby whos name is Max on February 25th. She and the father have been on again off again for the whole pregnancy. She is 20, he is 21. They found after 3 weeks that they are NOT ready to be parents. Last Thursday the people they were living with told them they had to leave. My niece asked her sister and a friend of the family to take the baby and begged me to let her and the father stay here. By the next morning the sister and family friend had called child protective services saying she had abandoned/endangered the baby and accused the father of shaking him (he did not, but was so frustrated and tired that he was afraid he might that's why they asked for help)
When CPS came out my niece and the father had already made a decision to give the baby up for adoption and had picked out a person that they trusted. The baby was brought to my home while they waited for the person to show up....she never did...nor did she even call. While this was going on the social worker basically put my fiancee and me in charge of the baby, never to leave him with the parents because they are so stressed out that they don't trust themselves.
My niece and the father then asked us if we wanted to have the baby...and the answer was yes, yes, yes!!

BUT.....CPS is involved and they still may take the baby which sucks!!!

Hope that all made some sort of sense, I'm a little stressed.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for explaining the situation, especially at this awful time.

Doesn't the fact that you are Max's relatives have any part in it? I would HOPE that it helps keep him where he belongs. Especially when a SW put you and your spouse in charge of Max's wellbeing. That should definately help keep him where he belongs.

and

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can file for guardianship papers. I am assuming that the court has already filed the 300 petition and if that is the case, then attorneys will be appointed - 1 for Max and 1 for each of his parents. Provided your house passes inspection for childcare and you and your fiance clear CPS approval, the court should leave him with you. Bear in mind that the law is that reunification must be attempted, altho it sounds like you have a great relationship with the parents.
You can visit www.courtinfo.ca.gov and click on "self-help" and check out guardianship. When you file, there is a form that allows you to ask for a waiver of fees.
My husband is a public defender and sometimes represents parents; other times, he represents the children.
He advises to avoid being defensive with CPS - a spirit of cooperation is your best bet! Are there any other relatives who would challenge placement with you?
Continuing lots of prayers and vibes that Max gets to stay home with you

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, here's how it happened at court today. Max is at a Foster home until we pass inspection and all the background checks. We also have to have the parents out of our home. I was letting them stay here for a short time.

My niece has visitation, 2X a week supervise, the father has NO visitation as he show lots of anger and hostility at court. My fiancee and I have 1X a week with more to be added as it gets closer to Max coming home.

Right now there are two that may challenge my having Max, on is my neice's sister, who is younger and also not financially able to care for the baby and the other is the maternal grandfather's fiancee, but the problem with her is that the maternal grandfather is in prison and when he gets out he'll have to register as a sex offender. Neither is a really good choice for the baby.

My fiancee and I have a good relationship with the SW and she's seen our home, it's pretty much just waiting on the background checks.

I get to go see Max tomorrow afternoon. I miss him so much.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by badgeygirl

Okay, here's how it happened at court today. Max is at a Foster home until we pass inspection and all the background checks. We also have to have the parents out of our home. I was letting them stay here for a short time.

My niece has visitation, 2X a week supervise, the father has NO visitation as he show lots of anger and hostility at court. My fiancee and I have 1X a week with more to be added as it gets closer to Max coming home.

Right now there are two that may challenge my having Max, on is my neice's sister, who is younger and also not financially able to care for the baby and the other is the maternal grandfather's fiancee, but the problem with her is that the maternal grandfather is in prison and when he gets out he'll have to register as a sex offender. Neither is a really good choice for the baby.

My fiancee and I have a good relationship with the SW and she's seen our home, it's pretty much just waiting on the background checks.

I get to go see Max tomorrow afternoon. I miss him so much.
I just hope and pray that the best thing happens for Max, that precious baby deserves that. Nothing is his fault, and yet he is the one that is suffering.

Please let us know what happens with him.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WE got to go see Max yesterday, we got two hours because the mother was too stressed to go. He is in wonderful shape and the foster parents are wonderful people. We've begun the process of becoming his guardians with the aim of adoption. The parents want us to be able to adopt him, but now that he's in the care of social services they most likely will have no choice. Now we are at wait and see and jump through the hoops. Our next step is to have the fingerprints done and the background check and that just takes time.

Waiting and missing our little Max.