TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Cat Yowling To Go Outside...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cat Yowling To Go Outside...

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
My 4 year old neutered male has been pretty content this winter to stay inside. Suddenly, with the weather changing, he is constantly yowling at the front and back door to go outside. He doesn't let up and he's miserable! We'll take him outside for short periods of time, but we don't have a fenced in yard so we can't let him loose. I've tried using a 'cat lead' so I could walk him but he hates it...try to tie him and he just twists. Then, I'll bring him in, and he begs begs begs for hours to go outside. What can I do? Will this wear off after he gets used to the warm weather? I don't remember him being this bad last year.

Thanks!!
post #2 of 12
I've found that with Bijou it is best to not let him outside at all - with or without leash. Once he is allowed out once he'll yowl and yowl and yowl every time my husband is near a door. He does not yowl to me as he knows I will not let him out and all I have to do is say no firmly and he'll go away from the door. Bear in mind that Bijou used to be indoor/outdoor (my hubby insisted on letting him out until he got hurt and I insisted he not be allowed out anymore).
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I've found that with Bijou it is best to not let him outside at all - with our without leash. Once he is allowed out once he'll yowl and yowl and yowl every time my husband is near a door. He does not yowl to me as he knows I will not let him out and all I have to do is say no firmly and he'll go away from the door. Bear in mind that Bijou used to be indoor/outdoor (my hubby insisted on letting him out until he got hurt and I insisted he not be allowed out anymore).
Yeah. I think some cats do just crave being outside more than others - and letting them out (understandably) makes them think that they just have to hit on the right combination of things to make going outside happen again.
post #4 of 12
Has he been only recently fixed or was he mature when he was fixed? He may be smelling a queen in heat (warmer weather puts them in the mood for love, I guess) and wants to go do his 'duties'?
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forensic View Post
Has he been only recently fixed or was he mature when he was fixed? He may be smelling a queen in heat (warmer weather puts them in the mood for love, I guess) and wants to go do his 'duties'?
How nobly and delightfully put!
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
No...he was fixed 2 years ago...

So should I prohibit him from going outside from here on out and hope that he forgets that I ever let him out? I like bringing him outside while I work in the garden but if I can't do it, I can't do it.
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia123 View Post
No...he was fixed 2 years ago...

So should I prohibit him from going outside from here on out and hope that he forgets that I ever let him out? I like bringing him outside while I work in the garden but if I can't do it, I can't do it.
As long as you let him out at all, any time, ever, he will cry to go outside. If you keep him in from now on and are consistent, he will eventually get the message and stop the crying. When hubby is home and Bijou goes to the door and cries, I sometimes go over to the door, firmly say no and gently push Bijou away from the door. He will then go and settle down somewhere. You will need to have patience (and possibly ear plugs ) and be firm.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
As long as you let him out at all, any time, ever, he will cry to go outside. If you keep him in from now on and are consistent, he will eventually get the message and stop the crying. When hubby is home and Bijou goes to the door and cries, I sometimes go over to the door, firmly say no and gently push Bijou away from the door. He will then go and settle down somewhere. You will need to have patience (and possibly ear plugs ) and be firm.
This!

This takes time and that amount varies from cat to cat. In my experience, the more persistant cats take about a week to two weeks, so be prepared for a bit of a haul.

They will settle down eventually.
post #9 of 12
Zane still makes half-hearted escape attempts, but I think he's gotten the idea that he's an indoor cat now.
post #10 of 12
My Rocko was doing this. He never did at my old apartment and now for some reason this spring he is all crazy. He does seem better when the windows are open. Unfortunately weather has been not agreeing with keeping the windows open. Can you have the windows open?
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Windows are open! I have no willpower...I've been letting him come into the yard with me and he's calmed down a little bit.
post #12 of 12
My Rocko has too. I think it was just spring crazies.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Cat Yowling To Go Outside...