Portions

labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two kitties. One is 13 years old and I think weighed in at about 13 pounds last time he was weighed. The other is a 6 month old kitten, that weighed in at 7.7 pounds. The older cat does not have kidney issues yet, but it looks like he's headed that way so my vet wanted to put him on K/D diet. Most everyone I spoke to (aside from the vet) suggested I just get more moisture in his diet by giving him more wet food. Max (older cat) was used to eating nothing but dry for his entire life, with wet food as an occasional treat.

I wasn't entirely sure what route I wanted to take for Max's potential issues, so I compromised. I switched both boys over to primarily wet food, with some kibble in the evening. The canned food is Nutro Max (wet version of the dry he used to eat), and for the kibble I did get him the K/D. I put down a 5.5 oz can twice daily for the boys to split, and in the evening put the kitten's kibble downstairs (Max doesn't like his food so he won't eat it) and I basically guard Max to keep the kitten from stealing his food while he munches on his kibble upstairs.

Is this enough food for them? I'm used to free feeding kibble and I don't want them to be hungry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would ask a different vet ... no kidney issues = NO NEED for a kidney diet ... IMHO read the crf thread in the health forum and maybe add wet food

Do you have access to NO grain foods?? ( acana and indigo moon are lower protein and potentially better for the older one) or premiums with only one grain??( ie natural choice or California natural)

general rule of thumb - wet one half to one ounce per lb( if feeding 50/50 with dry one quter to one half ounce per lb) ... most premium dry s a 13 lb will eat 1/2 to 1 cup ( ie with wet figure the lower end

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The reason he recommended it is because the kidney health level (can't recall what it's called) is on the high end of normal. So he's on the verge of crossing that line. He suggested the K/D to keep him from getting any worse. He's eating more wet food (which is not the prescription food) than the kibble (which is the prescription food).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Labyrinth

The reason he recommended it is because the kidney health level (can't recall what it's called) is on the high end of normal. So he's on the verge of crossing that line. He suggested the K/D to keep him from getting any worse. He's eating more wet food (which is not the prescription food) than the kibble (which is the prescription food).
Is feeding all wet something you can financial and lifestyle wise do>?? IMHO on the verge is NO reason to use an RX but I am also using a holistic/ conventional vet and use the acupuncturist as needed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm practically feeding all wet right now (they weren't really getting wet food at all before the kidney thing came up), I just don't know if I'm feeding enough.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Labyrinth

I'm practically feeding all wet right now (they weren't really getting wet food at all before the kidney thing came up), I just don't know if I'm feeding enough.
if feeding all wet a general thought for a 13lb cat would be 6.5 oz to 13 oz a day ... kittens use the one oz rule and up to double it ( so a 5 lb kitten 5-10 oz per day