Throwing Up on Raw Rabbit

dwmeowmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if any of you had any experience with kitties throwing up raw, organic rabbit? I have a kitty that I rescued from a kill-shelter about 6 months ago. She had no problem eating raw food from day one. I recently introduced her to rabbit and within about 30 seconds of eating it (no problem with chowing down) she threw it right back up in the food dish! (gross...
) She's done this more than once. What gives? I've never heard of a cat being allergic to rabbit before.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It may not have anything to do with allergies, I have heard of several kitties that don't tolerate Rabbit. It may be too rich or something.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps it is too rich and you could try feeding it along with another protein, so that they aren't getting so much rabbit at one time.

I haven't fed rabbit yet as my hunter hasn't hunted me any...but I feed venison and was told it was rich as well and I don't feed it as a full meal I always feed it with something else.

Leslie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had one intolerant to raw rabbit but not cooked ( yeah go figure , I did figure it out with oriental medicine chart )... Rabbit raw is a VERY cooling meat thus it takes alot less to digest than some ... ie chicken raw is mild cool to neutral

I will explain in more depth if needed ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dwmeowmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I had one intolerant to raw rabbit but not cooked ( yeah go figure , I did figure it out with oriental medicine chart )... Rabbit raw is a VERY cooling meat thus it takes alot less to digest than some ... ie chicken raw is mild cool to neutral

I will explain in more depth if needed ...
Please do. I don't understand what you mean by cooling meat. This is something new to me.

dwmeowmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

Perhaps it is too rich and you could try feeding it along with another protein, so that they aren't getting so much rabbit at one time.
<snip>
Leslie
I'll try that. I've been trying to find a meat source that all the kitties can eat together. My IBD kitty is sorely missing the communal food dish and his raw food but I'm not having much success finding anything he can eat. I haven't tried chicken or turkey yet because he's been SO sick and he's so thin. I'm afraid to give him anything but the Natural Balance canned venison the vet & I comprimised on.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In oriental medicine ( works for humans too) they rate foods and herbs by weather or not they use heat or give it off ... rabbit being cooling in a raw form does NOT give off heat thus it is good for animals with inflammatory issues , but takes a lot of heat from the body to digest ... Chicken on the other hand takes and gives off very minimal heat thus making it neutral in the raw form... Ie chicken is VERY easy to digest ... Lamb and Venison are HOT meats = they give off and take heat thus making them not a great choice for MOST forms of inflammation

dwmeowmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

In oriental medicine ( works for humans too) they rate foods and herbs by weather or not they use heat or give it off ... rabbit being cooling in a raw form does NOT give off heat thus it is good for animals with inflammatory issues , but takes a lot of heat from the body to digest ... Chicken on the other hand takes and gives off very minimal heat thus making it neutral in the raw form... Ie chicken is VERY easy to digest ... Lamb and Venison are HOT meats = they give off and take heat thus making them not a great choice for MOST forms of inflammation
Hmmm, interesting. Do you have any links or anything where I could go to learn more about this?

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carmelo will do this on occasion when eating his chicken. He throws up while eating, but will eat what he threw up
Sometimes he eats so darn fast, as if I haven't fed him in week
He eats about 6 pounds of food in one serving

dwmeowmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Carmelo is such a stately looking cat. Is it politically incorrect to ask if you run a big cat rescue or something. I was just wondering how you got so lucky as to be able to work with these magnificent animals.