TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Need opinions on a carpet colour
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need opinions on a carpet colour

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Ok, so here's our basement (rec room) with the new couches.





The last thing needed to finish the basement is the carpetting, which we've already priced out and it would be about $2000 to get it done.

We were going to wait a couple years, but right now Revenue Canada has a Home renovation tax credit up untill Feb. 2010, where you get 15% of the monies spent, back with your taxes

So I think we'll be doing that soon.

What colour of carpet would you put in that room? The pic above is pretty accurate as far as the colours... the furniture, only the 2 couches are staying.. The chair is not. That section of the room has 2 windows, and 2 white doors....white trim everywhere. The light fixture/ceiling fan is the dark red type of wood (which is also the type of end tables we want).

I'm leaning towards a similiar shade of burgundy (like the walls) but I'd like to hear what others think

thx.
post #2 of 28
I think sage green would look good in there. Burgundy would match, but it might look a little dated.
post #3 of 28
For basement/den/rec room type rooms, I'm a berber girl. We did our family room in a lovely berber at our last house and we got one that had different coloured flecks in it so it really matched everything. It was very easy to clean and keep clean as well.
post #4 of 28
Personally I would go with wood or wood laminate, but that's just because I'm so sick of carpet and people who don't take their shoes off, drop stuff on the floor, and the cats...

Whatever you choose, due to lack of windows (there's one?) you should probably go with something lighter so the room doesn't feel as small and dark.
post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Personally I would go with wood or wood laminate, but that's just because I'm so sick of carpet and people who don't take their shoes off, drop stuff on the floor, and the cats...

Whatever you choose, due to lack of windows (there's one?) you should probably go with something lighter so the room doesn't feel as small and dark.
There's 2 windows in that area, + a third back behind where I was standing....its actually fairly bright. Plus the furniture is light, all the trim is white, the doors are white. So I'm not worried about a dark colour with the lighting we do have in there... its actually a fair sized room, and open as well.

Hard to describe but.... You walk down the stairs and theres a "pathway" (bout 6-7' wide, ) then you get into the part of the room you can see in the pics which is pretty much a square.

EDIT: diagram won't format right....

3 windows total on the left side of my crude diagram.
We don't want hardwood there because of the coolness of it. We are carpet lovers
post #6 of 28
Navy blue.
post #7 of 28
I like the thought of the burgundy but I wonder if it would be too much. If it wouldn't look like the carpet is riding up the walls.

What about the top shade on the walls is it grey? I like that color too.

Is it going to be a high traffic area? Will food be allowed? I guess with kids and animals I tend to think of those things when deciding on color.
post #8 of 28
I agree about...

-Burgundy would be to matchy matchy.
-I'm a fan of berber too. You could go with a grey base with flecks of colors.
post #9 of 28
I have to agree about the berber. And I'd also do the pathway leading to the room I have a family room off a quarry tiled kitchen, which is also off a tiled foyer. The carpet has flecks of sage green which is the accent pieces in my family room. They come in so many variations and colors. Since you aren't having to worry about busy wallpaper, that'd be my pick. I've had berber for 8 years and it's so easy to vacuum and shampoo. I love it! If you're worried about the loops with Kizzy, I was worried too at first but I never had a problem. I also have a dog with gianormous nails (Rhodesian Ridgeback) and she runs through the room.
post #10 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snosrap5 View Post

What about the top shade on the walls is it grey? I like that color too.

Is it going to be a high traffic area? Will food be allowed? I guess with kids and animals I tend to think of those things when deciding on color.
Yup, the top is a grey (pewter was the actual name).

High traffic, somewhat... it will be the main tv area. No drinks (same applies throughout all of our carpetted rooms) and only certain foods. My dog is not allowed down there (arthritis in her hips, so we avoid stairs) and Kizzy hasn't been down their yet, till I get everything cleaned up...lots he could get into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil maggie View Post
I And I'd also do the pathway leading to the room .
Stairs and pathway will be done

The total room, pathway + square, is the full length of the house.... so it is quite long. The Pathway is ummmm, bout the length of the square part too.

We have a big freezer under the stairs, and a couple book cases and a hope chest in the "pathway" area.

I don't know what to call it LOL.... pathway makes me think narrow, and its not. You could probally fit 3 maybe 4 average sized men, shoulder to shoulder in between the stairs and the wall.

I may end up doing a corner aquarium, that you would see walking down the stairs, and could see from the rec area. Dunno bout that. Lots of thoughts, but right now, focus on carpet.

Keep the suggestions coming folks Appreciate them.
post #11 of 28
OH so the 'pathway' would be like a umm long foyer or larger long entranceway?
I love the aquarium idea!! You'd be all relaxed before even getting inside the room lol I love aquariums!!
post #12 of 28
I would go for a rich dark chocolate brown. Very modern colour, and all the furniture would stand out nicely against it.
Or, like Yosemite said, you can't really go wrong with berber!
post #13 of 28
Chris -
Great room!
I think a good way to match it all up would be Berber or cream carpeting, and a nice modern burgundy rug. The burgundy carpeting IMO, would be too much.
You can then put some accent pieces in Burgundy - Side tables, i.e. Accent in silver would be great too - like the lamp in the burgundy side tables . This way you would tie everything up without being overwhelmed. Right now, the couches feel a little out of place, but once you put the carpet and the accent pieces, i think all if going to tie up together.
post #14 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil maggie View Post
OH so the 'pathway' would be like a umm long foyer or larger long entranceway?
I love the aquarium idea!! You'd be all relaxed before even getting inside the room lol I love aquariums!!
Yup, it would be more like a long foyer.... pathway just seems narrow. The furniture guys had no probs getting the couches down. I believe the couches are 45" wide.... so I would guess that area to be about 6' wide. Not enough room to be a room in itself, but enough room to do the corner aquarium, plus my bookshelves n' such.

I have 2 aquariums now (used to have bout 30 LOL). One in each of the main rooms on the main floor. A 90gallon and a 110gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushylady View Post
I would go for a rich dark chocolate brown. Very modern colour, and all the furniture would stand out nicely against it.
Or, like Yosemite said, you can't really go wrong with berber!
hmmm, I can see the chocolate brown going with the grey, and the sofas, but I don't know if it would go with the burgundy.



Sidenote: I had to google berber.... that would be the carpet we really don't like
post #15 of 28
I would also go with the 'flecked' carpet with a light grey or beige base to tie in the four colors you have there - white, pewter, burgundy and cream/beige.
post #16 of 28
Ok - Well in my defense I couldn't have seen the window behind you. The photos make it look darker than it probably is, but as has been said - burgundy would be too much.

My in-laws have a neat carpet in their living room. I think it's called sandstone? or some similar name. It's a sandy color with bits of grey, burgundy, and even a little green (sage color) in it. Sounds odd but it is a very pretty. Your best bet is probably to just go get some samples and see how how they look next to everything.

As for bare floors, I guess that's the big difference with me being all the way down here in Oklahoma. They'll suit me fine, even if they are a little cool on the feet. But, a big deciding factor in that for me is because this house (with the exception of the converted garage) has hardwood floors in every room, they only need refinishing.
post #17 of 28
since Kizzy is predominantly a pale color, i'd go w/a paler carpet than burgundy or even chocolate brown [altho that latter would look pretty, color-wise].
i like berbers, myself - they wear well & look good. but if you don't like them, what do you like? loops? pile? carved?
color-wise, i'd probably go w/a flecked carpet, because it's easier to keep looking good. personally, i wouldn't get carpet at all - but if [for some reason] i did, i'd get a berber, too.
post #18 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
since Kizzy is predominantly a pale color, i'd go w/a paler carpet than burgundy or even chocolate brown [altho that latter would look pretty, color-wise].
i like berbers, myself - they wear well & look good. but if you don't like them, what do you like? loops? pile? carved?
color-wise, i'd probably go w/a flecked carpet, because it's easier to keep looking good. personally, i wouldn't get carpet at all - but if [for some reason] i did, i'd get a berber, too.
What do I like? Ummm, not sure what it is called. I'm not "in tune" with the carpet names...I think it would be pile....feels "plush".

We did find a carpet that we do like, its a solid colour.... we're just unsure of what colour to go with.

I'll be grabbing a sample book on the weekend though.

I do have to note that $ is an issue. The carpet we could afford and liked was $2.89/sqft, which brought us to $2000 for carpet/good underpad and install. There were other carpets we liked but cannot spend $5+/sqft.

(its roughly 400sqft that will be carpetted)

So far we have suggested:

berber
sage green
navy blue
rich chocolate brown
cream

Out of the suggestions, I like navy blue the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Ok - Well in my defense I couldn't have seen the window behind you. The photos make it look darker than it probably is, but as has been said - burgundy would be too much.
oh come on, why couldn't you see the window? LOL. It's not as light as an upstairs room, but its pretty nice for a room in the basement. If the laundry room door is opened (door seen in the pic) that makes a 4th window.

But yes I know why everyone is saying about making it darker. We were iffy on that in my snake room. It is a smaller room in the basement, one window and a closed door. It's a solid burgundy....but light coloured flooring, and white trim make it a very nice room... almost seems bigger than what it is.

I'll post a pic when I get the samples home, and see what ya'll think.

But if you have any other colour suggestions, feel free
post #19 of 28
I gave my carpet choice so I'm not giving you any more!

Hey, I know this sounds really silly but when you get the samples make sure you look at them during the day as well as at night with artificial lighting. In some cases the color tone or hue seems different You probably already knew this but you'd be suprised how many people don't
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by snosrap5 View Post
I like the thought of the burgundy but I wonder if it would be too much. If it wouldn't look like the carpet is riding up the walls.

What about the top shade on the walls is it grey? I like that color too.
That's what I was thinking too.
post #21 of 28
I think a burgandy print type of rug would look nice. Or a dark gray and then put an area rug in the middle with gray and burgandy mixed.
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushylady View Post
I would go for a rich dark chocolate brown. Very modern colour, and all the furniture would stand out nicely against it.
Or, like Yosemite said, you can't really go wrong with berber!
I was thinking chocolate brown too...
post #23 of 28
I think you'll be unhappy with a solid dark colored carpet, because it will show every single piece of lint, fuzz or fur, and it will drive you nuts trying to keep it clean, lol! (Think about how difficult it is to wear black pants, especially with a cat!) I also think that a lighter color base with, maybe burgundy, gray and/or green flecks would look awesome.
post #24 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil maggie View Post
I gave my carpet choice so I'm not giving you any more!

Hey, I know this sounds really silly but when you get the samples make sure you look at them during the day as well as at night with artificial lighting. In some cases the color tone or hue seems different You probably already knew this but you'd be suprised how many people don't
ohhh, actually I did not even think about that. Thanks for bringing it up. You are so right...everything looks different with different lighting.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady View Post
So far we have suggested:
berber
sage green
navy blue
rich chocolate brown
cream

Out of the suggestions, I like navy blue the best
i'm telling you, w/a pale long-hair cat, you DON'T want a dark color! you'll be vacuuming every 10 minutes!
post #26 of 28
I would go with a light color and a neutral color.
Burgundy would be way too much I believe too. We have carpet that matches part of the wallpaper and I hate it. I think its way too matchy and if we want to change one then it is going to be a lot more limited as to what we can do.

Here are some of my ideas:
Option 1
Option 2
Option 3
Option 4
Option 5
Option 6

Sorry there are so many! I would go with a sandy brown color for a solid or a light pattern.
Also for accents on the couches look into some silver and burgundy throw pillows and blankets.
post #27 of 28
I'm going to jump in with the Berber crowd.
A nice beige or grey based berber flecked in colours that accent the room would look really nice...and be pretty low maintenance in a high-use area.
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
i'm telling you, w/a pale long-hair cat, you DON'T want a dark color! you'll be vacuuming every 10 minutes!
Yup. I had chocolate brown carpet one time back in the days with only 1 cat and I couldn't keep the hair off of it. I would suspect burgundy would give you the same problem.

I vote for cream berber with gray and burgundy specs. It would bring all the colors of the walls and your furniture together. Berber is very good carpet, and would only discourage it if you had very big dogs (their toes can pull the loops up).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Need opinions on a carpet colour