Little is 9 weeks old tomorrow - update and pics! :)

tararose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is Little's 9 week birthday tomorrow so I thought I should post a few pics and an update
He is using the litterbox without fail, has been fully weaned from the bottle for 2 weeks and if starting to jump and play like a real cat. He's still does not groom himself and is VERY mouthy! I try not to handle him if he's in a bitey mood and wait until he's tired and snuggly

I still can't tell what color his eyes will be. At first they were green around the pupil fading to dark blue, now they are turned back to blue with a hint of green. Very interesting to see them changing. He weighed in at a chunky 2.5 pounds last week, we also started his shots last week. Afterwards we realized Pfizer recommends starting them at 12 weeks (oops!) so he got an extra set of boosters. He took them in stride and is actually turning into a very nice cat despite my fears of him turning into a crazy bottle kitten

Pepper, Little and Nala

The only 'awake pic' he's sat still long enough for me to take in weeks!

He is very rambunctious and is constantly running and playing and chasing things. I am so glad he is crate trained at night because otherwise I may not get any sleep. I swear he never stops going!!

At 3 days old

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adorable!!

Watch the biting - invest in some Bitter Apple & work hard to curb it now. My adorable bottle baby that was a horrible biter was euthanized by her owner as she did some mega serious damage to her owner. They were stupid & killed her instead of returning her to the shelter (they also declawed her, making the biting worse!).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tararose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the suggestion about the bitter apple spray. He is definitely not biting to be mean, he is just a rough player. We are working on redirecting but he's outgrowing his beanie baby and I can't find a replacment he'll accept!
I am going to the valley this weekend to the store see if they have the bigger version of his calico beanie kitten..

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update! I was just wondering yesterday how Little was doing!

He is adorable, and I'm happy to see that your other cats seem to like him as well. You've done a great job of raising him.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice job on the weight. You are to be commended. He should be fine to neuter by 3-4 months old. Is he eating solid canned food yet?

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yay, Little!

Try one of the kong wubba toys for cats. They make some with furry covers and long 'legs'. My cats love the one I got them.

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Watch the biting - invest in some Bitter Apple & work hard to curb it now. My adorable bottle baby that was a horrible biter was euthanized by her owner as she did some mega serious damage to her owner. They were stupid & killed her instead of returning her to the shelter (they also declawed her, making the biting worse!).
That's a sad story, people can be pretty dull in dealing with animals.

I agree with the biting, as don't let them get the habbit.

In our case, if we had let our Taz do it, it might have been "cute" or funny when he was 12 weeks old but now he's a 20 pound (big, not fat), strong "monster" and it would not be good if he was in the habit of biting.

He soon learned when he was little, when the biting started, the attention stopped, imediately. He is a happy, pleasant natured indoor cat as an adult.

Taz was like Little when he was a kitten, a perpetual motoin machine, now he spends a lot of time on his side, holding down a pet bed, he used up all his energy when he was younger

tararose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
SOunds like I am on the right track with discouraging the biting. I either redirect him to another toy or put him down when he is bitey.

As far as eating he eats anything he can fit into his mouth. He eats canned cat food, sometimes dry catfood, sometimes he even eats the adult catfood left out for the big guys. I even caught him eating a peice of bird food off the floor today.

The little fella had a very eventful day today!!! The fridge has become his new obsession. I let him go in there once because I thought he would go in, figure out it was just a fridge and lose interest. Not so! Well today I came out into the kitchen after fixing myself a snack and heard him meowing and meowing. I looked and looked and could not find him, and then I opened the fridge and out popped Little! He was probably stuck in there for a good half hour. Silly cat..he has since lost interest in the fridge!

Then this afternoon I was taking a bath and he just HAD to get up on the side of the tub. Well he inevitably took a mis-step and fell right into the tub!! Head first!!
Poor fella was very shaken up, and wet, but ok

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thats funny...my kitten seems to have an obbsession for the bath tub as well....she falls is and just walks around like..." hey I ment to do that "...Very cute pics .....you did a wonderful job

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Claydust

holding down a pet bed
that is absolutely hilarious

I haven't posted before, but I have been following your journey with Little and what a great job you've done

my suggestion for biting is a loud NO! and a tap on the nose

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

as far as I can gather Little has grown up without siblings and his mother so it's not suprising he hasn't learned to keep his claws and teeth to himself
. If he were to do that to a sibling he would soon learn that nobody likes to play with a rough biter that over does it.

If you tackle this issue now it shouldn't take long for him to realize he's actually hurting you when he bites.

If he's bitten you you should say "Ouch" in a whiney voice and then ignore him by standing up and leaving him alone.

Another method would be to blow him into his face when he's bitten you- this should resemble a hiss from a cat- and also tell him he's gone too far and has gotten carried away

regards,

Christine

tararose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I guess the real test will be how does he turn out in 6 months or so
The rest of my cats are all spoiled rotten brats so I guess we'll see

As for keeping him, there are really only a select few people I would give him up to and none of them have room so I am keeping him, for now (hehe).