Beds: mattresses.... getting a new set tomorrow... what do you have?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While we were looking at couches on the weekend, the bed section was right by where we were paying for the couches, and I got looking while DH was paying for the couches. Of course, the staff are commissioned so I was immediately "attacked" by a nice salesman. They had a couple really good deals on.....DH was iffy so we went to leave..... I got talking to him outside and convinced him.

trip 3, back in the store to buy our new mattress/box spring. The lady at the front laughed at us because of the in and out..... (we spent bout 4hrs in and out of stores.....luckily, 3 of them were pretty close so we parked and walked to the different ones)

anyways, paid for the bed and didn't know how long it would be till we got it. They didn't have any in stock, so he told us it could be a few weeks.... but the couches were scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

DH called them on the weekend, and our bed is coming tomorrow too

Our old bed could have done us a couple more years but it was going on about 10yrs old and getting uncomfortable. (it wasn't highly expensive or a deluxe mattress, etc.). With both myself and hubby with back probs, me with sleep probs and other comfort issues, a good bed is a nessecity.

The bed was regular $1597.99 on for $899.97.

Some of the features of The Aqua 3:

Comfort Quilt Layers:

StayTrue Fibre
1.5" SuperSoft Convolute foam, for the ultimate in ultra plush comfort. Deeply contoured, high density polyurethane foam.
0.5" SuperSoft foam

Comfort Support System:

5 Zone Pressure Relief.
Latex foam provides gentle orthopedic support to cradle, conform and support your body in the perfect sleep system. Plus, as a highly breathable and bacteria resistance material, latex delivers a healthier, luxurious and more rejuvenating sleep
SpaceTechâ„¢ Memory Foam: Viscoelastic polyurethane is referred to as memory foam because the foam returns to its original shape once weight is removed. Originally produced by the space industry, it responds to body temperature and weight and forms to the shape of your bodys contours for proper support and no motion transfer.
3"StayTrueâ„¢ foam, a high quality and high density polyurethane foam. Cushions and conforms to your body for a plusher, more comfortable feel. An innovative process produces a more uniform cell structure, making it 10% more durable than regular foam.
Non quilted inner panel.

Deep Down Comfort Layers:

2" Stay True foam.
Pressure Dispersion Pad.
1" UniCased Base & Posture Channel Support Technology: This revolutionary Posturepedic construction offers uncompromised support and comfort at every point across the mattress surface, including the perimeter for a firm seating edge. It stabilizes the mattress to reduce motion transfer. It gives the mattress bendability without damage for easy transport

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What kind of mattress do you have? I'm very excited to get this one
because of my back and sleep probs.... when we layed on it in the store, I could hardly feel DH move at all, which is my pet peeve. I can sleep if someone keeps moving beside me... when I go to bed, I lay still and fall asleep... hubby moves which keeps me awake.

I'll be even happier tomorrow when I can sleep on it.
I'm going out to buy 1 set of new sheets as this mattress is thicker than what we have... a couple sheets should still fit on it, but I kinda want a new set to go with the new bed

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our mattress is over 11 years old. We got it when DH and I first moved in together. We were broke and it was free, so we took what we were offered. Hubby used to deliver furniture, and he was delivering a mattress set to a lady and she had just purchased a set but didn't like it. Here are least, you can't return a used mattress, so she just told them to take it and do whatever they wanted with it. DH brought it home b/c we had just moved in together and were currently sleeping on one of those 4" thick sofa bed mattresses on the floor (the sofa bed tried to eat us LOL so we just pulled the mattress of and put it on the floor). It was just a firm king size coil spring mattress. It is getting pretty old and even with turning there are defined dents in the bed where we each sleep. We need a new set, but we can't afford it.

I would LOVE to get a memory foam mattress. That would be heaven!!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats Chris! Hopefully you'll get the best night's sleep!
I think my matress is from another century...might be straw, not sure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

Our mattress is over 11 years old. We got it when DH and I first moved in together. We were broke and it was free, so we took what we were offered. Hubby used to deliver furniture, and he was delivering a mattress set to a lady and she had just purchased a set but didn't like it. Here are least, you can't return a used mattress, so she just told them to take it and do whatever they wanted with it. DH brought it home b/c we had just moved in together and were currently sleeping on one of those 4" thick sofa bed mattresses on the floor (the sofa bed tried to eat us LOL so we just pulled the mattress of and put it on the floor). It was just a firm king size coil spring mattress. It is getting pretty old and even with turning there are defined dents in the bed where we each sleep. We need a new set, but we can't afford it.

I would LOVE to get a memory foam mattress. That would be heaven!!
Yup. I never had a new mattress up untill I moved in here with hubby 6yrs ago. I had skinny hand me down mattresses that were bought secondhand. The mattress we currently have, hubby's family works for this plant that used to manufacture the springs that went in most beds.... so he got his set really cheap for a decent quality mattress... lots of dents in it though, and the movement is really disturbing, especially if I'm in pain, finally get comfy..his movements will cause me to move and start hurting again.

Luckily we got money back from taxes, which covered the cost of the bed and couches. (coulda spent the tax money on our debt but.......)

Originally Posted by lil maggie

Congrats Chris! Hopefully you'll get the best night's sleep!
I think my matress is from another century...might be straw, not sure
LOL....I had one of those straw mattresses bout 18yrs ago. Thanks Cat, I hope so too. I think it will help alot with the pain issues..... not sleeping well on top of my normal issues makes it worse. Keeping my fingers crossed this helps even just a little.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a memory foam mattress. i got it last year. i really like mine! had to get new sheets, since i didn't have any that would fit the new, thicker mattresses.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a memory foam bed, and it is AMAZING - you will get great nights of sleep in it. I take a long time to fall asleep, as you well know
, and used to be a toss and turner, waking up at any little thing. Well, not anymore - I still take a long time to sleep, but with a memory foam bed, once I sleep, I don't wake up until it's time to. When I saw your post, I was going to recommend you getting one - but I see you will; I also think you are getting the best, which is a mix of latex foam for support, and memory foam for relieving pressure point.
Another AWESOME thing about my bed (and the one you are getting too) is that the other person can literally jump on the bed, and you will not feel it. So hubby and you will have great nights of sleep in it!!!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a Simmons BeautyRest. I love it, and the kitties love it too!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently have a waterbed but want and need to get a regular bed because of my back and neck. So I'm going to watch this thread closely for tips!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I currently have a waterbed but want and need to get a regular bed because of my back and neck. So I'm going to watch this thread closely for tips!
For your neck, what really helped mine was a memory foam pillow.

What impressed me with this mattress is the support. I laid on it, on my back and you know the curve at the base of your spine (if you lay flat out on the floor there's usually a gap) with this mattress there was firm support on the lower back as well ( my current bed does not do this ). It definately molds to you in all places whether you sleep on your back/side/stomach.

They did have a plush or firm version of what I'm getting. I did not like the plush at all.

Mine is supposed to come between 12 and 2, so you can bet I will have a nap on it

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Select Comfort Bed (you know the one with the "sleep number") and I recomened it to anyone who will listen, I've neer slept so well in my entire life! (now if DH would just stay on his side of the bed
)

katyabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a memory foam mattress and I looove it. I sink in o it and not e ven my toes move the whole night. Hehehe.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We drove to Miami, FL to pick up a Queen size TempurPedic Sleep Number 9000 series mattress back at the end of January. I LOVE IT!!
Rob had found it on ebay, and we were able to get it for $3,000 (usually $4,500-5,000). We weren't sending that kind of money through the internet or paying shipping, so we had an exciting road trip to get it. It's been an amazing mattress these past 2 months.

Before this mattress, we were sleeping on a crappy 30 year old hand me down full size mattress with a huge dip in the center from years of only 1 person sleeping in it (Rob, his uncle, his grandfather...). Rob and I both developed neck and back pain from sleeping on it together for 3.5 years. (And he had slept on it by himself for years prior).

We were sold on the Sleep Number when we spent the night before our honeymoon cruise in a Radisson that had a SN mattress in every room.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I had considered foam, but anything within our price range felt cheap. The TempurPedic's were much to expensive and I've heard as many bad reviews for them as I have good.

We went with a normal spring mattress, a Lady Americana. I think it was the Argos model or something like that? Which is the same as Paros, just in a different color cloth. It's a tad firmer than I originally wanted but it turned out to be better as my back was needing that. It did help a lot.
We almost didn't get it. The furniture store happened to have some of the discontinued models sitting up off to the side and I was curious as to why they'd have them sitting out on a showroom floor. DH just wanted to leave already.

As for that curve at the lumbar spine, due to how I place my pelvis when I lay flat to keep it from hurting - I don't have a curve there. Probably why I'm a side sleeper.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here it is:

I can't wait to sleep on it tonight.

The only negative I'm seeing at this point is that we shoulda went with the low profile box spring instead of the standard one....but we'll see how it works out. When I sit on it, my feet are a good 10" or so off the floor, and with bedding and pillows on it, the pillows cover the headboard up to the mirror.

Our old mattress was 9" thick, this one is 13". I am glad I went to the store and bought a set of sheets. But wow were they expensive (to me anyways, I usually buy cheap sheet sets for $20, these were $50 for a queen set but I needed ones with deep pockets and this one said fits 18" mattresses....they fit perfectly and have elastic all the way around so we shouldn't have the prob of the sheets coming loose at the corners).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is really tall, too. Poor Sho had problems getting up there at first, and would bounce off the side.

The only suggestion I have for sheets is pay attention to sales and overstocked.com.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

For your neck, what really helped mine was a memory foam pillow.

They did have a plush or firm version of what I'm getting. I did not like the plush at all.
I have chiropractic pillow that I got from my chiropractor. Unfortunately because of my waterbed it's not all that effective.

My chiropractor recommended that I get a soft mattress to start since I am large and going from a waterbed to a regular mattress. He said that a firm mattress would feel like sleeping on concrete and cause me all kinds of problems with pressure points on my hips and shoulders etc.

So the only thing I know is that I need a soft mattress. I don't want something too soft though because I need an improvement over the softness of my watebed.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I have chiropractic pillow that I got from my chiropractor. Unfortunately because of my waterbed it's not all that effective.

My chiropractor recommended that I get a soft mattress to start since I am large and going from a waterbed to a regular mattress. He said that a firm mattress would feel like sleeping on concrete and cause me all kinds of problems with pressure points on my hips and shoulders etc.

So the only thing I know is that I need a soft mattress. I don't want something too soft though because I need an improvement over the softness of my watebed.
ahhhh, gotcha.

The plush version of what I have might be worth checking into. I wouldn't even knock the one I do have even tho its labeled as firm. (I'm heavier too) With the memory foam, and pressure point support, it is quite comfy. (mind you I haven't spent a night on it, just a half hour today...I'll post tomorrow after I've spent a night on it) The plush one just didn't seem to support as well.

My advice tho, what works for one, may not for another. When we bought the mattress, we spent a couple hours laying on a bunch of them (even tho the best deal was the one we sampled first).... lay down, lay on your side/stomach/back, move about on it...spend 10mins on it....if you have a spouse, make sure they are there too and lay on it with you. (another selling point for me... I was laying on it and got my hubby to come on.... hardly any movement whatsoever.) Try different ones and see what you like. Places like The Brick or Leon's have huge selections (at least the ones here did) and often have sales or discontinued, etc. The one we got, is made exclusively for The Brick, and is being upgraded....which is why we saved $700 on it.

If you ever spend a night in a hotel, check out what kind of mattress they are using and see if you like it or not.