Cammy almost gave me a heart attack.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, for some reason, I'm really paranoid about losing some one I care about. Like I think it's a little on the crazy side.

Cammy was on the back of the couch, I was laying on the couch. She had her head resting near me and I was petting her head. She was just relaxing and falling asleep and her third eyelid started closing before her eye and it kind of looked like her eyes were rolling back in her head. I said "Cammy." and shook her a bit, she didn't move but her eyes were still halfway open. Then for some reason I just FREAKED and screamed "CAMMY! CAMMY!" and then she woke up and looked at me. Oh my goodness, my feelings for her just kind of took me by surprise, I flipped. I grabbed her and started crying and then Jon came home from work. I'm a little embarrassed, but relieved.

I'm crazy.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We were new to cats when we started rescuing in 2002. Neither of us grew up with one as a pet. When we adopted our first two cats, I cannot tell you how many times we called the vet after hours, said it was an emergency, and made him meet us at the office. That poor guy. After a couple of months we calmed down, but I bet every single person on this site can related to caring so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad everything was fine and it was just an oh-my-goodness moment!

Laurie

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Poor Cammy. She's probably wondering why a kitty can't take a nap around here.

When I first got Goldy I thought she was sleeping with her eyes open. Then when I looked closer I saw that her third eyelid was completely across the eyes. Really creepy looking, but apparently normal for her.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a cat do that. Hey, I would have freaked out too!!
I'm so glad Cammy is fine ..... she's my fav!!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen many cats in this very deep state of sleep. Pick up their head and drop it, and you'd swear they're dead. First time I really noticed it was while we were moving to PA from TX, with Snoopy on the front seat between us. I almost had a wreck when I thought he had suddenly died!

Cats sleep very deeply like this only a little each day.

myfamiliars

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've shaken my boys awake before for this very reason, so don't worry. You are not alone. Of course, then whichever boy I've awoken gives me the stink-eye before going back to sleep, but at least I have peace of mind.

My mom told me that she used to poke me when I was a baby because I was so still as I slept. I think it's pretty instinctual.

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I have seen many cats in this very deep state of sleep. Pick up their head and drop it, and you'd swear they're dead. First time I really noticed it was while we were moving to PA from TX, with Snoopy on the front seat between us. I almost had a wreck when I thought he had suddenly died!

Cats sleep very deeply like this only a little each day.
pumpkin did that to me once, sleeping in the bed i keep for her on my desk... her head was dangling off the edge at an impossible looking angle. i think she was glad that i woke her up, because it sure looked like an uncomfortable position and she seemed stiff for a while afterwards.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've wakened Dharma up too - and had the horrid feeling before she just turned round and gave me the eye. You can't help it!

tweetykiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad you and Cammy are alright. I don't understand though about "third eyelid". Sorry to sound dumb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tweetykiss

I am glad you and Cammy are alright. I don't understand though about "third eyelid". Sorry to sound dumb.
Look at goldycat's picture. It's that whitish film in a cats eye.

layitdown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Cammy was alright!
i've freaked out like that, about 6 yrs ago, I was still a kid. My cat was napping and he entered REM, well, ya know what happens there. He started twitching so much! I was so scared! I said his name, nothing. I picked up his paw and dropped it, down it fell. He felt lifeless! I freaked and got my dad, almost bursting in tears. My dad came in my room and there my cat was, yawning and stretching
I'm sure we cal all relate to you and your scare with Cammy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ferrets do that all the time, LOL. I can't tell you how many new ferret owners think their little weasel has died, when he's just trying to get a decent nap! I've also noticed kittens do it more often than adult cats.

bumblebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've recently had the same problem. x3 My new kitten was very deep asleep, and of course, being the paranoid thing I am, shook him awake because he was breathing really slowly. Bah. These kitties like to play tricks on us.

My other cat snores, and a few years back she decided she'd sleep with me for the first time, and of course I wasn't aware of her snoring, so I thought she was having some sort of breathing issue. Naturally, I prodded her away, and she gave me the eye before going back to sleep.

It took me a while to figure out she was snoring. >>

Anyways, I'm sure we can all relate. :3

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by tweetykiss

The third eyelid is actually a membrane that covers the eye sideways, starting from the inner corner. It's a protective adaptation to keep dust and such out of their eyes, probably very useful for kitties that live in the desert. It's not usually visible unless the kitty is sick, or sleeping with her eyes open like Goldy. I've never noticed it on my other cats.

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One morning last week Brady didn't come out of his little bed when I called them. It's not unusual for him as he isn't a big wet eater. I walked over to the bed( it looks like a soft dog house so it's only open in front. I bent down( I was half asleep as it was 5 AM) I put my hand in and touched him...no movement...nothing. I shook the house a little....nothing....I had a panic attack and 2 seconds later he looks out like What the heck do you want? I am paranoid but this place as much as I love it has made me even worse. So I can relate lol

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That happened one time with Pause he was laying upside down next to me on my bed sleeping and he just looked dead. I poked him initially and he didn't move and I totally freaked out. I myself was amazed at how I went from just hanging out to OMG just about to break out in tears. He just kind of looked at me like "What the heck mom, I'm sleeping!"