I can't get ear mites.... right?? seriously... right?

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is just a coincidence that only hours after taking the new kitten in (who has ear mites), and spending time with him to get him settled and comfortable - that my left ear is aching.... right?

I was fairly certain that ear mites can't infect humans... and even if they could, it would take more than an hour or two for me to feel anything..... correct?

It's got to be a coincidence... but I have to ask to be safe.

Once the otoscope is charged up, I will have my father look in my ears to double check.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you should be fine - cats and dogs can get it, as far as I know, humans can't... That's all in your head, not in your ears!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's what I figured. I had to double check though because I was wondering, "Ok... well, being pretty sure is great and all, but what if I'm wrong?" It's probably just an ear infection that is coincidentally timed.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now wouldn't you feel just silly having to go to the vet by yourself

Good that you asked, better safe than sorry.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that would be sure to put an end to my future legal career.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ear mites, not so much - ringworm, another story. Seriously, probably just coincidence and of course you're thinking about your boy's uncomfortable ears. BTW, how are you feeling? You've been through a lot yourself, not even counting Ally's adventures. Hope you're doing well.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, human CAN get it, but I've never heard of anyone getting it accidentally. I DID hear about one researcher who purposely gave himself ear mites, just as an experiment. He said it was a terrible experience, but very enlightening on why cats so infected have so much trouble.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of our technicians got some in her ear from an ear clean [the cat whipped it's head around] she said it made some weird crunching noise and she got it out with mineral oil.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

One of our technicians got some in her ear from an ear clean [the cat whipped it's head around] she said it made some weird crunching noise and she got it out with mineral oil.
All I can say is....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I DID hear about one researcher who purposely gave himself ear mites, just as an experiment. He said it was a terrible experience, but very enlightening on why cats so infected have so much trouble.
Does it make the thick black gunk in human ears too? I wouldn't think it would due to the shape of our ear canals.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to one of our vets, he did.

I don't know that they can live there - but they can transfer over.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

According to one of our vets, he did.

I don't know that they can live there - but they can transfer over.
I would be more inclined to believe my vet than something I read online. I would imagine their real life experiences would be more reliable. I would also imagine it's like anything else, you take precautions. Just as you take care with ringworm while treating it, I would take the same care while treating ear mites.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can see some transferring over and maybe living for a little while, but not reproducing so it would definitely end on its own after 3 weeks.

Anyways, I woke up today and my ear is killing me. We looked in it last night and it was inflamed for sure.

I started myself on clarithromycin last night.

I must have gotten water in there while in the shower and some of it sat for a while giving bacteria a nice little home.