Leash Training

kunskitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have advice for leash training their cat?

We got Cornelius used to wearing his collar but when the leash was attached he freaked out. Advice?

mn086

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

We've just leash trained our two kitties to get them used to their garden etc. before letting them out on their own. We got proper cat harnesses which are better than just a collar and leash. They go around the neck and also the chest behind the front legs and then the leash attaches to the bit that goes around the chest, it is less "pully" for them. If you get one of these and just put the harness bit on first and let the cat run around for a few minutes a day with that on and then gradually introduce the leash bit after a few days. We found that once our kittens were outside, they completely forgot about the leash! Distraction as always is a great thing with cats who don't want to do something you need them to do. Good luck!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats should not be lead around with collar/lead as their necks are not strong enough. You need a harness, we use Roman Style dog harnesses. I just put the harnesses on and took them right outside, they were so curious and busy exploring they hardly noticed they were wearing them.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mn086

Hi
We got proper cat harnesses which are better than just a collar and leash. They go around the neck and also the chest behind the front legs and then the leash attaches to the bit that goes around the chest, it is less "pully" for them. If you get one of these and just put the harness bit on first and let the cat run around for a few minutes a day with that on and then gradually introduce the leash bit after a few days. We found that once our kittens were outside, they completely forgot about the leash! Distraction as always is a great thing with cats who don't want to do something you need them to do. Good luck!
A few minutes a day, with a play session as a distraction, should work. Definitely get a harness, rather than trying to attach a leash to a collar, which is way too easy to slip out of.

Keep in mind that your cat will walk you, rather than the other way around. I usually take along some reading material, just in case "we" are waylaying birds, etc..

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great suggestions here - the play sessions are what worked for JC.
Hint: Cats will respond to pressure w/immediate release (think riding a dressage horse). I had a g-friend give it a go (she teaches dressage) and she was thrilled at how well the cat did!!! She says that other horsemen look at her like she's crazy, not believing that cats can be leash-trained & "driven"

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Piggybacking on this topic as I'm keen to leash train my new kitties too.

Do you walk one cat at a time? Or is it fine to walk two cats at a time?

A friend is discouraging me from taking the cats outdoors because we live in a wet area where there are ticks, fleas and mosquitoes. She said that there are meds to give to the cats to combat the pests but that they are very toxic and she is wary of the long-term effect on the cats.

I'm a little worried about opening up a can of worms if I take the cats outdoors. I don't want them to become door darters and to cry to go out constantly. My girls are pretty vocal as it is.

I live in a one bedroom apartment and am worried the kitties will become bored indoors all the time. There is no debate about them becoming indoor-outdoor cats though.

If anyone can address all or any of the questions, I'd appreciate it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3 go out all together. Fleas are not an issue where I am, but for you then you'd need to apply a product before taking your cat out.

Mine don't bother me to go out (and they are vocal cats), they have learnt that harness=outside. Soon as I open the container of harnesses they line up meowing in excitement.

To prevent boredom indoors, make sure you play with them several times a day. Leave toys for them and have a few cat trees for them to climb.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Missy. Your cats sound like they are very well-behaved!

So with 3 cats, do they more or less walk together? Or do you have cats going in all directions?