My cat just died and I don't know why

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was out for about 5 hours today and I returned to find Jasper dead. He is just 5 years old. Two years ago, Jasper had problems with crystals so he had a surgery that removed all his man parts so it was not a blockage. He was fine this morning. I have another cat and I am worried that it will happen to her.

We are painting a room in our house. Yesterday we were sanding and as it is an old house, there may have been lead paint chips. Jasper did get into the room for a few minutes. He was also sitting outside on the doorstep for a few minutes this morning. We salt our doorstep in the winter. Could there have been salt left over that did this to him? He is a inside cat.

I'm so worried for Kitty. I closed the basement off where their litter box is and bought a new box and litter for her and put in my bedroom so I can keep a close eye on her. I'm taking the day off work tomorrow. I"m so scared to leave her alone.

We are going to get an autopsy tomorrow. Poor Jasper has to spend tonight in our shed until the vet's office opens tomorrow morning. I just don't understand it. He was fine this morning. Does anyone have any ideas what happened to him?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry this happened to you so unexpectedly. It's very hard to say what may or may not have happened to him. It may not have been any of the reasons you mentioned. He may have been sick and was hiding it very well and you didn't notice - do you think he was acting funny or different at all? He may have had a heart condition that didn't present itself until today. Or he could have had a bad fall.

I think waiting for the necropsy results will help put you at ease, don't jump to conclusions. Accidents happen and there's nothing we can do about them. Spend some quality time with Kitty!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.
RIP Jasper

It's never easy to figure out something like this when he didn't give you any clues. I think he would have had to eat a huge amount of paint chips or salt to have much effect on him. It's more likely something that was going on without symptoms and you couldn't have done anything to prevent it. Keep an eye on your girl, but try not to panic. She needs you to be calm for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words.

When I left him this morning. he was sitting up in his favorite basket in the living room. I came back to find him laying in the same basket.

It really sucks. My husband just flew across the country on a business trip for a week. I had to tell him this over the phone. I'm so glad my dad is here with me to help.

Dad noticed that the basket was wet, like he had peed himself.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Goldy Cat, he would have had to eat a lot for him to get sick that quickly. It sounds like something went terribly wrong but he passed quickly and painlessly. RIP Jasper.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you lost your baby... That's really scary

Many hugs,
RIP sweet boy

sarha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kara Bear, I'm so sorry about Jaspar.

It's good that you are getting a necropsy done so that you'll have closure and so you won't need to worry about you're other Kitty.

We lost our 3 yo kitty in much the same way. He seemed fine and then he died suddenly and with no warning.
We also had a necropsy done because we were worried about our surviving kitty possibly "catching" whatever killed Andrei.

It turned out Andrei died of HCM, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy; cats with HCM can be asymptomatic and then die suddenly from a clot to the brain or heart.

I know how badly you must be feeling but I hope you can find comfort knowing Jaspar died suddenly and didn't suffer.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your sudden loss - I hope the necropsy can ease your mind a little bit. Prayers for you and your family.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had one cat die suddenly (I was there, she ran out from under the stove and then was very sick, I took her to the vet, they thought it might be poisoning or electrocution, but we were never sure) when I had three other cats in the house. I was very scared about the other cats getting behind the stove and dying as well, so I cleaned under the stove all night (in case it was old insecticide or insecticide-soaked food - we couldn't find any electrical problems). The other cats are fine.

Getting the necropsy is the right move in your case, but I want to re-assure you that, whatever it was (even if it was old poison or something), it is extremely unlikely that Kitty will suffer from the same problem.

I wish good health toward Kitty and calm to you.

There wasn't anything you could do to save Jasper (no matter what the necropsy shows) and you're doing everything right to protect Kitty.

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone.
I'm still shocked. I keep on expecting to see him trotting around the house.

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a picture of my big man. There never was such a laid back loving cat.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. there are no words that can take away your pain, I wish it were that easy. Bless you Jasper and rest in peace.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jasper is beautiful.

The wetness is likely from Jasper's bladder emptying after death. The sphincters will relax and urine (and sometimes feces) will be released.

I hope you find some answers soon. Bless your heart.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm really sorry, but these things happen. Cats will survive things that we think will kill them, and then be done in by things that we think they will take in stride.

You loved him, and cared for him as best you could. St. Francis has received him. Let him go and go on.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
((KaraBear)) I'm so sorry for your loss- he was a beautiful cat. I hope the necropsy sheds some light on what happened.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

The wetness is likely from Jasper's bladder emptying after death. The sphincters will relax and urine (and sometimes feces) will be released.
I was going to say this, too. It happens with humans, as well.

How devstating this must be for you. I am so very very sorry.

What an absolutely gorgeous Jasper.

Sending lots of positive vibes for you little girl

Rest In Peace Handsome you will always be loved and missed.