TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › high fibre food
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

high fibre food

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'm having trouble finding a high fibre food that's good quality i.e not Hills SD.
Wiggies is on meds now for his stomach issues, and the vet recommends a hig fibre diet.
Can anyone suggest some brands to try? I'm looking for both wet & dry.
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushylady View Post
I'm having trouble finding a high fibre food that's good quality i.e not Hills SD.
Wiggies is on meds now for his stomach issues, and the vet recommends a hig fibre diet.
Can anyone suggest some brands to try? I'm looking for both wet & dry.
wet likely there are not many as Fiber is grain and veggie based... What % in dry are you looking... cat s only need about 3-5% fiber overall
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks Sharky.
I'm giving them a fairly even mix of wet/dry, although he prefers his kibble so does end up eating more, about 40% wet & 60% dry.

Is Metamucil really OK to add to cat's food? I've seen it suggested here a few times, but I guess I'm a little leery of just adding stuff without vet approval. Mind you, my vet only suggests Hills & Medical anyways.
post #4 of 14
I think Wellness Indoor is higher in fiber than other dry foods I've seen.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
I think Wellness Indoor is higher in fiber than other dry foods I've seen.
likely it is as it has a HIGH grain and veggie level ...

I would IMHO not add metamucil ( it swells and kitty cant say Mom I feel gassy ) .... Benefiber is a none swelling fiber that you could ask the vet about... YES I would ask the vet
post #6 of 14
I have to use a high fiber food for one of my cats poop issues. Hairball formulas are higher in fiber or Royal Canin beauty and fit formula is high. I am currently mixing in Eukanuba Hairball with Nutro NC and Blue Buffalo for my cats and just having the hairball in the mix helps keep her stools firm.
post #7 of 14
Fatty has a ton of tummy issues. Before the bladder stones happened, he was eating techni-cal hairball, which was amazing.

He was also getting about 1 teaspoon of strained pumpkin each day to help with fibre intake, and he loved it! Can't say that all cats would tho, i wont even eat it, lol!

Also, medi-cal makes a fibre formula, i believe, and I've heard great things about it!
post #8 of 14
High levels of poorly fermentable fibre are used in some weight-reduction pet foods to dilute the calories in each serving. Iams® research shows that this is not a good practice because high fibre levels can decrease the digestibility of other nutrients in the food and, therefore, reduce the nutritional quality of the diet.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_ponting View Post
High levels of poorly fermentable fibre are used in some weight-reduction pet foods to dilute the calories in each serving. Iams® research shows that this is not a good practice because high fibre levels can decrease the digestibility of other nutrients in the food and, therefore, reduce the nutritional quality of the diet.
do you have a link to this research??

I find it funny that Iams would be doing it as they have some of the higher fiber formulas... fermentation is easily fixed via pre and probitics and some enzymes
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
do you have a link to this research??

I find it funny that Iams would be doing it as they have some of the higher fiber formulas... fermentation is easily fixed via pre and probitics and some enzymes
The post you are asking about is a direct quote from the IAMS site

http://www.iams.com.au/system-LS-sta...057735848.html

(I googled what the poster above had said, its a quote from the above site)
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady View Post
The post you are asking about is a direct quote from the IAMS site

http://www.iams.com.au/system-LS-sta...057735848.html

(I googled what the poster above had said, its a quote from the above site)
thank you... research it is not, just generally known things written nicely ..
post #12 of 14
My cat is on a prescription high-fiber diet for colitis. I chose to go with Royal Canin CC High Fiber, and cat and I are both satisfied. He's been on it for more than a year, and his symptoms disappear as long as he's on it; I was able to stop medicating completely after a few days.

The cat loves the taste of both the wet and the dry. Though I found that the dry is the most important part for my cat; he's able to eat regular Natural Balance wet food (which is cheaper than the Royal Canin prescription wet), so long as he's on the Royal Canin high-fiber dry. Taste-wise, the Royal Canin (both wet and dry) is my cat's favorite of anything I've ever fed him.

I had tried food additives like psyllium husk powder (same thing as in human Metamucil) and canned pumpkin, but they didn't do the trick. Apparently it just wasn't enough fiber to treat his condition. The Royal Canin has high-quality ingredients and contains both soluble and insoluble fiber. It's also low-calorie/fat... my cat has slimmed down a pound or two since he started, which is good.
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I hadn't actually thought of a hairball formula food, so I can look into that. And I've never tried Royal Canin, so I will look at that too. At this point I will try just about any food, but would really like to steer clear from the prescription ones from the vet if I can.
I've been using canned pumpkin, and he won't eat it. We can only mix in the tiniest amount with his food, so it's probably not doing much.
Sharky, I will ask about the Benefiber!
Thanks again!
post #14 of 14
If your cat has an intestinal condition, I think you may have to go with a prescription diet. Because the amount of fiber that you'd give to a cat with a special condition is greater than a manufacturer would put in a commercial formula given to regular cats... I suspect hairball formulas wouldn't be enough. For example, the Royal Canin CC dry is 15 percent fiber, while hairball/indoor formulas are about 4 to 6 percent fiber.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › high fibre food