Persistent Nausea

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I've had nausea since last Monday evening. I went to the Urgent Care Center and they gave me a shot of phenergan (anti-nausea medication). It did nothing when it usually helps. I have phenergan tablets that I've been taking and they aren't working. I went to my family Dr. and he gave me Zofran and its not working either. I went back to Urgent Care and the Dr. did a strep swab and it came back negative. I have no idea why I'm so nauseous. I'm not pregnant. It isn't stress. I don't have insurance, but there's a place around here that I'm going to check out that provides healthcare to those who are underinsured or not insured. Has anyone ever experienced persistent nausea unrelated to pregnancy or stress? If so, what tests/treatments were given to diagnose/treat the problem? Thanks.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any ear infections? Any dizziness at all? An inner ear problem can do it, but you usually have vertigo, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a history of vertigo. I take medication for it when needed. I'm not sure if its related to that, but who knows.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you having any other symptoms with the nausea like diarrhea, acid reflux, stomach gitters or cramps?

BTW, take long deep breaths and put a cool wet wash cloth on the back of your neck - it helps a little. Be persistant with those doctors!

Sorry you're not feeling well

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Up until yesterday it was just nausea and diarrhea which would indicate maybe a viral infection. Yesterday I started having burning in my chest and throat. I started taking Pepcid. It didn't help at first, but I think it is helping now. I'm not in any pain which I'm happy about. Its just nausea where my sternum is. Hopefully I can get into the place that offers healthcare for those with no insurance. I do plan on being persistent. Thank you for the vibes.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me to be intestinal since you've had it for that long. I'm thinking the doctors should be referring you to a gastroenterologist to be on the safe side.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they take any blood work ? If not they should have.

If you had diarrhea, it's possible that you are dehydrated and low on sodium, which also means that you are likely low in Potassium too. Both are needed for smooth muscle function for organs such as your heart.

Low sodium can cause very bad nausea. Please DO NOT load yourself up on electrolyte drinks or start taking Potassium supplements. Too much is just as dangerous as too little.

Please go back and make sure they take blood to find out how your electrolytes are. You may need to have some IV fluids.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LilMaggie,

I'm thinking the same thing. If I'm not better by Monday I'll see what they have to say at the Health Right place.

Natalie (your name is Linda, right?),

I did drink 2 big gatorades. I thought I should drink them since they have electrolytes in them. I'll just stick to water. My Dr. wrote me a prescription to get a CBC, CMP, and antibody to H.pylori.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
actually, if you're having diarrhea, gatorade may make it worse due to the sugar content.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LovesMyCats

Up until yesterday it was just nausea and diarrhea which would indicate maybe a viral infection. Yesterday I started having burning in my chest and throat. I started taking Pepcid. It didn't help at first, but I think it is helping now. I'm not in any pain which I'm happy about. Its just nausea where my sternum is. Hopefully I can get into the place that offers healthcare for those with no insurance. I do plan on being persistent. Thank you for the vibes.
Nausea and chest pain can occasionally signal cardiac problems. Women, especially, can have atypical cardiac symptoms. I realize that the burning in your throat and diarrhea don't go along with a cardiac problem, but since the terrible news about Hope Hacker, I would rather you err on the side of caution. At least mention the possibility to the next healthcare worker you deal with. Another thought would be gallbladder problems. Nausea, diarrhea, and chest pain (or right upper quadrant pain, sometimes radiating to the back) are common with gall stones. I hope you're feeling better soon.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Up until yesterday it was just nausea and diarrhea which would indicate maybe a viral infection.
Not necessarily, bacterial infections will do this to you, too.

You could simply be having acid reflux, but nausea is such a vague symptom that it could be from anything. Even gallbladder issues commonly cause nausea and diarrhea.
Food intolerance can cause nausea as well, so writing down everything you eat and drink may be helpful.
I've learned that sucralose (splenda) causes terrible nausea for me.
I'm surprised that zofran didn't help, it tones down a part of the autonomic nervous system that causes nausea.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, since most women are unaware of the symptoms of heart attacks in women, which are often different from those in men, women are more likely to die from their first heart attack.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone even know how old LovesMyCats is or her family history?

And wow, what a vague set of symptoms. I get most of those nearly every day (minus the edema, anxiety, and sweating -ANS is too messed up to let me do that normally) and my heart is fine. So suggesting that nausea, that has been on going for a while, is a heart attack may be rather over the top.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you on any new medications? Have you discontinued any medications in the last month or two?

Also, any environmental changes? Any other symptoms (fever, rash, etc.)?

Did they take a blood sample to see what your sed rate is? (in other words, did they rule out infection?)

Have you been vomitting at all?

Was the vertigo psychosomatic or caused by something physical?

You might want to see a gastroenterologist to check for gastritis, gastroenteritis, etc.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Does anyone even know how old LovesMyCats is or her family history?

And wow, what a vague set of symptoms. I get most of those nearly every day (minus the edema, anxiety, and sweating -ANS is too messed up to let me do that normally) and my heart is fine. So suggesting that nausea, that has been on going for a while, is a heart attack may be rather over the top.
I'm 31. I don't believe what I was experiencing was heart-related. I think I may have acid reflux. I am feeling somewhat better. I may go to the clinic later today. I've taken some Pepcid and that has seemed to help. Thank you everyone for your advice and information. Its interesting to know what a what symptoms may signal that she is having a heart attack. Thanks, again.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm 31. I don't believe what I was experiencing was heart-related. I think I may have acid reflux. I am feeling somewhat better. I may go to the clinic later today. I've taken some Pepcid and that has seemed to help. Thank you everyone for your advice and information. Its interesting to know what a what symptoms may signal that she is having a heart attack. Thanks, again.
Yeah, that would be rather young for a heart attack unless you had other serious health problems and a strong family history leaning towards heart problems - if you did, you wouldn't have been asking on a forum for advice as you'd have already had doctors to deal with such issues.

You can get omeprazole (prilosec) OTC now, if you find that H2-blockers aren't working as well for you. I was able to use ranitidine for years before it stopped working and I had to switch to prilosec (that and H2 blockers interact with too many meds). Also if you do try it, don't let a doctor talk you into nexium - it would just be a lot more expensive for you as there is no generic. But before you rely on this route to solve things you need to make sure that you're not having problems with achlorhydria (ruling out H.pylori takes away the most common cause of that) or slowed digestion as these cause similar symptoms to too much stomach acid.
If achlorhydria was the case, using anything to decrease/neutralize stomach acid would be very counter productive.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

Are you on any new medications? Have you discontinued any medications in the last month or two?

Also, any environmental changes? Any other symptoms (fever, rash, etc.)?

Did they take a blood sample to see what your sed rate is? (in other words, did they rule out infection?)

Have you been vomitting at all?

Was the vertigo psychosomatic or caused by something physical?

You might want to see a gastroenterologist to check for gastritis, gastroenteritis, etc.
Hi Law Guy. No environmental changes. This has happened before, but hasn't lasted for so long. They didn't take any blood, but I do have a prescription to get a CBC, CMP, and antibody to H. pylori done. I vomited several times last week. I've had vertigo ever since I was a child. I think it is due to inner ear problems. I have 30% hearing loss in each ear. I'm on medication now and take it when needed. I am feeling better and will head to Urgent Care tomorrow if I'm not better than today. Thank you for your suggestions.

Strange_Wings, one of the Dr's I saw recommended prilosec, but when I read the information on it it takes 1-4 days for it to become effective and you take it for 14 days in a row. That didn't seem like something I should take since I needed something that worked immediately. Pepcid seemed to help. Thank you for your advice.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Strange_Wings, one of the Dr's I saw recommended prilosec, but when I read the information on it it takes 1-4 days for it to become effective and you take it for 14 days in a row. That didn't seem like something I should take since I needed something that worked immediately. Pepcid seemed to help. Thank you for your advice.
It helps me within a couple hours of taking it. Generally it's not a dramatic change but I can tell the difference. I try not to take it too often as I don't like to take more medication than I need to, but it can be taken infrequently or regularly (more than a couple weeks). The info sheet and on the box doesn't quite match up to what a doctor will tell you about prilosec or nexium.
Such as dosing, all OTC acid reducers generally have the suggested dosage as half what typical prescription strength is.

If it is GERD one of the most important things you can do is just watch what you eat, when you eat (and how much), and drink plenty of water.

If you need something to immediately stop indigestion/heartburn you might try something like gaviscon or even take a small amount of baking soda.

Don't put off getting those blood tests done!