New cat is under bed

ekekekek07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought my new cat home last night and she went under the bed and hasn't come out. I know this is a common behavior, but she hasn't even come out to use the litter box or eat. I placed the food a few feet from the bed so that she knows it's there. I also put a few treats down on the rug. How long should I let her be before I try to get her out? Will she come out when she's hungry or needs to use the litterbox? She is the only cat, which she prefers. The house is very quiet and I live alone. Any suggestions? She cried a little this morning, but I talked to her and she calmed down. She likes me and isn't scared of me, just the new surroundings are a concern. She meows when I call her name.

My cat that passed ran under the bed when I brought him home and came out and jumped on me ten minutes later :-) So, this is the first time I'm dealing with this situation for a long period.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds normal to me. There have been people on this site who had a cat go under a bed and not really come out for months. Others for a day or two, and some never go under the bed in the first place.

I wouldn't force her to come out. She will do so in her own time. Take a good book in the room, sit on the floor and read out loud to her. Either that or completely ignore her. If she is normally friendly, she is just scared of her new environment and will be out in no time.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Momofmany is right - it will all depend on your cat. Don't force her out - let her come naturally. My beloved Simba stayed behind the headboard of our water bed for a whole month but when he finally came out he was such a love bunny. He was raised for 5 months mostly in a cage at a bad breeder. He loved being carried around upside down in my arms just like a baby.

It sounds as though your sweet girl is just nervous of her new environment and not afraid of you. Give her time and spend time in the room with her talking softly and just being there.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww, poor thing is just scared, as you know. It's so sweet that she calms down when she hears your voice, too. Just provide her all the comforts of home, food, water, litter box, toys and give her some time. Like a previous poster said, visit her and read to her or talk to her (I used to lay on the floor on my side looking under the bed and talk to them some, too.) and invite her to play by using some interactive toys on a wand or stick. I'm sure she'll come around in no time at all. Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ekekekek07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She came out on Saturday night :-) It was funny. I was at the computer and I heard her high pitched meow and turned around and she was pacing back and forth. Adorable!!! She follows me everywhere and meow meow meow meow, so I picked her up and she gets quiet, but only likes to be held for a short time. I think it brings her more comfort! I love her! She's a lot like Angus, which I didn't know until Saturday night when I went to bed and she sat on my chest. She loves to put her paws in my hand. I'm overwhelmed and filled with joy to once again be experiencing the companionship a cat can offer.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Sounds normal to me. There have been people on this site who had a cat go under a bed and not really come out for months. Others for a day or two, and some never go under the bed in the first place.
In my case, Alley stayed under the bed for a week. Unlike you, we had another cat in the house for her to contend with. I was busy posting on TCS about how worried I was and our members helped us to cope with what was actually a very normal occurence. She did come out after a week and became good friends with Persi, the resident cat.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by EkEkEkEk07

She came out on Saturday night :-) It was funny. I was at the computer and I heard her high pitched meow and turned around and she was pacing back and forth. Adorable!!! She follows me everywhere and meow meow meow meow, so I picked her up and she gets quiet, but only likes to be held for a short time. I think it brings her more comfort! I love her! She's a lot like Angus, which I didn't know until Saturday night when I went to bed and she sat on my chest. She loves to put her paws in my hand. I'm overwhelmed and filled with joy to once again be experiencing the companionship a cat can offer.
Well she has obviously wrapped you around her paw!
That's wonderful for both of you. I sit and hold Bijou's paws while he sleeps. I love it and obviously he doesn't mind. Wonderful feeling isn't it!