Yowling for no reason.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Two times:

1. In the morning at about 7:00 am. This is about when I get up, but still it is annoying. He doesn't want to be petted, and it isn't hunger (I have an automatic feeder.)

2. In the evening about 8:00 or 9:00 pm. He'll stand in front of his water bowl, paw on the carpet in front of it, and yowl. There's plenty of water in it, and it is fresh because I usually will have refilled it not that long before.

Sometimes when he yowls it is a signal that he wants to be petted or played with, but these two times it is something different, as if I do try to pet or cuddle him then he will resist it. (Also, why when he wants a lap fix will he often stand next to my chair and yowl rather than just jump up? It isn't that he can't boost his fat little hiney up, because he can--he just prefers, apparently, to be picked up.)

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he drinking comfortably?

Have you tried changing the water bowl for another one?

Make sure you keep an eye out of any other odd behavior, esp things like not drinking/eating, different litter tray habits (using it more, less or longer).

It might just be an oddity - but changes in behaviour are often due to the cat being unwell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Is he drinking comfortably?

Have you tried changing the water bowl for another one?

Make sure you keep an eye out of any other odd behavior, esp things like not drinking/eating, different litter tray habits (using it more, less or longer).

It might just be an oddity - but changes in behaviour are often due to the cat being unwell.
Oh, I've tried that. No change. I've taken him to the vet. There's nothing wrong with him.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Oh, I've tried that. No change. I've taken him to the vet. There's nothing wrong with him.
On the upside, that's good!

On the other hand, he's still being a pest.

He may have a dose of the "kitty crazies" which do tend to fall into patterns - does he have a dawn facing window he can watch the birds out of? Maybe stick a bird feeder nearby?

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy "yowls" when he plays, when he gets the "crazies" and runs around, or, sometimes, when he wants me and isn't sure where I am. It's an odd sound, like he's looking for something or asking for something. The same (or similar) sound also precedes his vomiting!

When I was away, my sitter thought that he was crying for me, but I assured her that he does the same thing when I am home.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He did it again tonight, standing in front of his water dish. There was plenty of water, but I thought it might not have been fresh enough for him, so I went to change it, and as soon as I touched the dish he bit me!

Stupid cat!

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol, can I join the club? My ten month old is driving me nuts too. Food, check. 4hours of play, check. Attention 3/4 of day, check. Last two weeks he still stares at me and cries for no real reason. Spring Fever.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, and we aren't sure--we think eight or nine.
I was thinking he may appreciate a buddy to expend some of his excess energy with. Some older cats howl and cry when they age.

My oldest, Rocky, who's 10, yowls when he wants to play. It works, cuz the other two come running to see what's going on.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

I was thinking he may appreciate a buddy to expend some of his excess energy with. Some older cats howl and cry when they age.
Zane hates other cats.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just sounds to me like a cat looking for attention. And he's getting it. It's not about being petted, it's about being noticed. Cats hate being ignored, and they're very observant.

I have something to try: when he starts yowling, go into another room, close the door, and stay there until a good 10 minutes after he stops yowling. Then give him some attention after you come out and he's quiet. Repeat as required. This is going to take a LOT of your time and patience, and you have to be 100% consistent. Giving in just once takes you back to square zero. So stockpile books or your laptop or iPod or whatever in a room and plan to spend time where he can't see you or get to you for short irregular periods while you're home and awake.

Let us know how it works.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today when I got out of the shower and opened the bathroom door to let the water vapor out, he ran in, nipped me on the calf, and then ran away before I could do anything.

Stupid cat!

dizzyhytes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am with you. I am desperate. I live in Hong Kong where people will pay huge amounts for a cat with a pedigree but no one will touch a free FIV cat like mine. So I took him. He was aloof and withdrawn in the shelter, but turned out to be the most confident, people-loving, lap-sitting cat you could imagine. He loves everyone and follows you around everywhere happily.

Except every night when I decide to turn out the lights he starts yowling incessantly. It goes on for an hour at least, then again sometime in the middle of the night like 3 or 4 am, then again at 7am an hour before I need to wake up.

I work 12 hour days and need 8 hours' sleep but have been getting 5 for months.

Have tried everything and nothing works. Water spray, drugs, training, ticking clock. I really think he is just doing it for the attention as he is so attention seeking!

Any ideas? What about anti bark collars used for dogs? Or is devoicing is a feasible option. Is it cruel? Please note that I don't know anything about this but am simply floating an idea to get everyone's honest opinion. I think it is morally wrong, (and to my mind rather extreme) but if I send this cat back he doesn't stand a chance and I know he will be put to sleep. He is not homeable in this country.

Or I could just wring is scrawny little neck, the ungrateful brat...

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dizzyhytes

Any ideas? What about anti bark collars used for dogs? Or is devoicing is a feasible option. Is it cruel? Please note that I don't know anything about this but am simply floating an idea to get everyone's honest opinion. I think it is morally wrong, (and to my mind rather extreme) but if I send this cat back he doesn't stand a chance and I know he will be put to sleep. He is not homeable in this country.
The anti-bark collars give the animal an electric shock when s/he barks. I don't think that this is very humane, but YMMV.

Could he be afraid of the dark? Have you tried a nightlight?

Do you allow him on the bed with you? If not, being allowed to snuggle may calm him down.

dizzyhytes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great idea. I might try a night light.

No, I stopped having him sleep with me because he will run around at night, on the bed, off the bed, on the bed, off the bed etc...and wake me up. Plus, he wakes up at 6 or 7am and interrupts my sleep so it's just as bad.

I feel like this cat is completely controlling me and he needs to learn that nights are for sleeping, but he's so stubborn.

The anti bark collars I was thinking of are the ones which spray citronella on the animal's face if they bark. Maybe that might work...

How's Zane?

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I feel like this cat is completely controlling me and he needs to learn that nights are for sleeping, but he's so stubborn.
Can you get Feliway in Hong Kong, or Nature's Miracle?

The anti bark collars I was thinking of are the ones which spray citronella on the animal's face if they bark. Maybe that might work...
Check with the Vet to see if that would be OK.

How's Zane?
At the moment, he's asleep at my feet.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Stupid cat!
He's not stupid, he's trying to communicate, and unfortunately you don't understand what he's wanting. But i agree with Coaster, it sounds like he needs some attention

Water spray, drugs, training, ticking clock. I really think he is just doing it for the attention as he is so attention seeking!...
Remember, just because their animals it doesn't mean we ignore them. Like humans they also neet attention

What about anti bark collars used for dogs? Or is devoicing is a feasible option. Is it cruel?
Definitely not on both questions, and yes it is cruel!.

Or I could just wring is scrawny little neck, the ungrateful brat...
Are you sure you should have this poor cat if you speak about it like this?!

Again no. Would you like something sprayed in your face just because you got on the nerves of the person sitting next to you?!

Animals like humans need respect just as much

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is a very good thing that we love them so much, otherwise we couldn't put up with how annoying they can sometimes be.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely! Sounds like Zane just wants your attention. My ReeRee yowls and so does Rocko. I just call their names and Rocko will come but reeree just wants to vent...

Their yowling is usually followed by frisky-time!

Does he have enough toys, catnip, treats etc? When my cats are getting antsy and I just don't have the energy or time to play with them i throw down some catnip and let them enjoy themselves.