Removal of wisdom teeth?

ixi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The tooth on the left side of my jaw is so painful. The gum covers it. But I think I'm going to have to get it removed.

So..I've been doing some research online about it and it says that
"a wisdom tooth that is underneath the gums and embedded in the jawbone will require an incision into the gums and then removal of the portion of bone that lies over the tooth. Oftentimes for a tooth in this situation, the tooth will be extracted in small sections rather than removed in one piece to minimize the amount of bone that needs to be removed to get the tooth out."

That sounds extremely painful. I have no tolerance for pain. I'm screaming in agony when I get paper cuts. THe anesthetic doesn't sound like it's going to do much to help the pain if they're going to cut open my gum and remove my tooth, piece by piece.

Has anyone been through this? What's it like?

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out all at once. The 2 bottom were below the gumline and the dentist cut them out. After I was knocked out, it took 2 minutes - that's what it felt like when I woke up. I was sent home with cotton stuffed in my mouth and a prescription for pain pills. The only time I felt any pain was the time between getting the pills and them working.
I think you should make an appt and at least have it looked at.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Trust me - go get it removed. Waiting will only make it worse. If your wisdom tooth isn't coming up, that probably means it's impacted - it's coming in at an angle and stuck against your last molar. Where the two teeth push together you will get decay. Left untreated long enough you'll get a cavity below the gum on that molar which will require a filling, a root canal, or possibly an extraction. Waiting won't help the situation any.

As for the pain, the medicine the dentist gives you should take care of the pain of the incisions, but if you're squeamish talk to your dentist about using either nitrous oxide or a general anesthetic for the procedure. If he's not willing to help do that, there are lots of other dentists around.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had all four removed at the same time - I am terrified of needles and was not keen on having them in my mouth, but it didn't hurt one bit. It did feel very strange when they took them out, but I didn't feel any pain.

I think it is a good idea to go to the dentist - the longer you leave it, the worse it will get.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ouch! If you can't handle a paper cut, you won't be able to handle the many complications that can arise from wisdom teeth. Among impaction and infection, a wisdom tooth can damage your surrounding teeth and bone. Most people go under IV sedation, 'twilight anesthesia', which sedates a person into a light sleep without rendering them completely unconscious. You will still be given proper local anesthetic once you're sedated. AND you'll be left with no memory of the procedure at all!

When they told me this, all I heard was "still be conscious" and "won't remember". To me that translated into "it's going to be so painful that we're going to drug you enough to keep you from struggling, but it's OK because you won't remember a thing!"
So just in case you might have wondered the same thing.. that is NOT the case, I found out.

The last thing I remember is seeing three nurses suddenly duplicate into six!
"Moments" later I literally woke up from a dream and went home. Like the others said they will prescribe pain killers for you. But after being in so much pain, the recovery might not be so terrible in comparison. Personally, I experienced hardly any pain. I've had ALOT of extractions, root canals, etc., and never experienced an ounce of pain. While it depends on the person, I think the main factor was having such good doctors/dentists.

So on that note, I can't stress enough how important it is to make sure that a 100% reputable oral surgeon removes your wisdom teeth. It will make your experience so much safer and easier!

You feel better soon!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As others have pointed out, you have the choice of using a dentist or an oral surgeon - the latter will be more expensive but is the better choice if the tooth is not out yet and you don't want to risk the local not being enough.

DH went the oral surgeon route and had no complications from it at all. Other than the anesthesia making him all goofy and confused after waking up. (I wish anesthesia did that to me. I woke up in the hallway on the way back to my hospital room wondering why they seemed to be hitting every single bump in the carpet!
) You'll definitely need someone there with you to take you home and maybe keep an eye on you for a bit.

I'm not sure which I will go with. Mine really need to come out. On one hand, all my teeth have erupted through the gums (tops are out completely) which should make it easier for a regular dentist. But, I don't anesthetize very well and the local itself can have bad side effects on me if too much is used.

And if I went with an oral surgeon and under full anesthesia I have to worry about whether they can handle someone with autonomic nervous system issues. If anyone has tips or suggestions on this issue feel free to make them, I'm at a loss for ideas. I'd rather stay out of the hospital this year.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it hurts, get it done.

If you can't handle pain, imagine what it's like when it rots and gets infected and your head balloons...

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told if they are under the gum line you need the oral surgeon. The pain from not removing them is far worst than having them removed. I didn't have much pain from the two I had taken out. The worst was coming home and waiting until I could shut my jaw again. They give you pain meds so it really isn't that bad. It will probably hurt worst than what you are feeling now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ixi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

I've had all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out all at once. The 2 bottom were below the gumline and the dentist cut them out. After I was knocked out, it took 2 minutes - that's what it felt like when I woke up. I was sent home with cotton stuffed in my mouth and a prescription for pain pills. The only time I felt any pain was the time between getting the pills and them working.
I think you should make an appt and at least have it looked at.
I called the dentist this morning and made an appointment for next week. My dentist actually told me a few years ago that I should get my wisdom teeth removed, but me being me, I didn't listen to him (but in my defense, at that time, they didn't bother me at all). I guess I'm paying the price now

Originally Posted by Grogs

Trust me - go get it removed. Waiting will only make it worse. If your wisdom tooth isn't coming up, that probably means it's impacted - it's coming in at an angle and stuck against your last molar. Where the two teeth push together you will get decay. Left untreated long enough you'll get a cavity below the gum on that molar which will require a filling, a root canal, or possibly an extraction. Waiting won't help the situation any.
Ouch. That sounds even worse

Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I had all four removed at the same time - I am terrified of needles and was not keen on having them in my mouth, but it didn't hurt one bit. It did feel very strange when they took them out, but I didn't feel any pain.

I think it is a good idea to go to the dentist - the longer you leave it, the worse it will get.
I hate needles too. This one time when I had to get a cavity filled, my dentist used this huge needle that must have been at least a foot long to numb my teeth. I had nightmares about the needle for weeks afterwards

Originally Posted by kittybernard

Ouch! If you can't handle a paper cut, you won't be able to handle the many complications that can arise from wisdom teeth. Among impaction and infection, a wisdom tooth can damage your surrounding teeth and bone. Most people go under IV sedation, 'twilight anesthesia', which sedates a person into a light sleep without rendering them completely unconscious. You will still be given proper local anesthetic once you're sedated. AND you'll be left with no memory of the procedure at all!

When they told me this, all I heard was "still be conscious" and "won't remember". To me that translated into "it's going to be so painful that we're going to drug you enough to keep you from struggling, but it's OK because you won't remember a thing!"
So just in case you might have wondered the same thing.. that is NOT the case, I found out.

The last thing I remember is seeing three nurses suddenly duplicate into six!
"Moments" later I literally woke up from a dream and went home. Like the others said they will prescribe pain killers for you. But after being in so much pain, the recovery might not be so terrible in comparison. Personally, I experienced hardly any pain. I've had ALOT of extractions, root canals, etc., and never experienced an ounce of pain. While it depends on the person, I think the main factor was having such good doctors/dentists.

So on that note, I can't stress enough how important it is to make sure that a 100% reputable oral surgeon removes your wisdom teeth. It will make your experience so much safer and easier!

You feel better soon!
It doesn't sound so awful if I'm not going to be conscious for it. My greatest fear is that even though I won't feel the pain, I'll still be able to see and hear everything

Originally Posted by strange_wings

As others have pointed out, you have the choice of using a dentist or an oral surgeon - the latter will be more expensive but is the better choice if the tooth is not out yet and you don't want to risk the local not being enough.

DH went the oral surgeon route and had no complications from it at all. Other than the anesthesia making him all goofy and confused after waking up. (I wish anesthesia did that to me. I woke up in the hallway on the way back to my hospital room wondering why they seemed to be hitting every single bump in the carpet!
) You'll definitely need someone there with you to take you home and maybe keep an eye on you for a bit.

I'm not sure which I will go with. Mine really need to come out. On one hand, all my teeth have erupted through the gums (tops are out completely) which should make it easier for a regular dentist. But, I don't anesthetize very well and the local itself can have bad side effects on me if too much is used.

And if I went with an oral surgeon and under full anesthesia I have to worry about whether they can handle someone with autonomic nervous system issues. If anyone has tips or suggestions on this issue feel free to make them, I'm at a loss for ideas. I'd rather stay out of the hospital this year.
I'm definitely going to consider going to an oral surgeon instead. I don't know any around here though. I'm going to see and if my dentist can recommand a good one.

Good luck with yours!!!!

Originally Posted by Forensic

If it hurts, get it done.

If you can't handle pain, imagine what it's like when it rots and gets infected and your head balloons...
I know...that sounds terrible...

I guess I can't put this off any longer...

Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I was told if they are under the gum line you need the oral surgeon. The pain from not removing them is far worst than having them removed. I didn't have much pain from the two I had taken out. The worst was coming home and waiting until I could shut my jaw again. They give you pain meds so it really isn't that bad. It will probably hurt worst than what you are feeling now.
I'm considering just getting 2 removed too instead of all 4, since the ones on top are fine. But we'll see what the dentist says. And this time, I'll actually listen to his advice

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittybernard

Most people go under IV sedation, 'twilight anesthesia', which sedates a person into a light sleep without rendering them completely unconscious. You will still be given proper local anesthetic once you're sedated. AND you'll be left with no memory of the procedure at all!
Yup, thats what I did. All I remember is watching the anesthesiologist putting the needle into my arm, and then I woke up in the recovery room. They gave me a prescription for pain meds, but I never got them. The post-op pain wasn't too bad (for me! Different for everyone). My brother was scared to use anesthesia, so he opted to only use Novocaine. He says he wouldn't recommend that option at all
. Personally, I can't stand having them stick needles into my mouth. So if I ever again need any other serious dental work done, I'll definitely go for twilight anesthesia.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've had 3 wisdom teeth removed, but not all at once. I was lucky in that mine weren't impacted, though--it was a very simple tooth-pull, and no pain. I was just given a shot of Novacaine.

I have known folk who had their wisdom teeth removed as you stated (in fact, I believe that's the most common way, as most wisdom teeth are buried in the jaw. Mine had erupted straight, so they could be pulled). Anyway, they always had very good anesthesia. It was a bit painful afterwards (and mine even were), but you'll get drugs for that! I'd say plan on milkshakes and/or soft food for the 1st day. Also, when you go home, make sure you follow their instructions for aftercare STRICTLY. You don't want dry socket; this is very easily prevented by following the dentist's instructions. Since you may in the hospital to get it done (I believe some insurance plans still insist on this if your teeth are impacted), you may not have to do anything when you get home. In my case, I had to change the gauze pad every 1/2 hour or so; no swallowing (food, drink, saliva) for (I think) 1-2 hours; no smoking (no problem in my case), ditto, and making sure not to dislodge the blood clot that will form (that's when you can get dry socket). All of this only lasted part of the day, and honestly, apart from seeing the nasty-looking blood-stained gauze pads, it wasn't bad at all. I didn't even need the pain meds.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get it done. Its not like you're going to feel anything. It will be sore and swollen after for a few days, but thats about it. Nothing tylenol can't handle.

Everyone gets them taken out..I wouldn't worry about it.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had mine removed by an oral surgeon. I went to sleep and when I woke up I was ready to go home. Mom took me home and when I slept off the medications and was allowed to eat, she made lime jello, applesauce, and milkshakes for me. It really wasn't too bad.

If you are going to get two taken out, you might as well get all four taken out. It will be a lot cheaper and easier to do it that way in the long term.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I had mine removed by an oral surgeon. I went to sleep and when I woke up I was ready to go home. Mom took me home and when I slept off the medications and was allowed to eat, she made lime jello, applesauce, and milkshakes for me. It really wasn't too bad.

If you are going to get two taken out, you might as well get all four taken out. It will be a lot cheaper and easier to do it that way in the long term.
That sounds exactly like my experience except I had strawberry jello.

But honestly getting your wisdom teeth removed isn't nearly as bad as many people make it out to be. I had all 4 of mine removed at once (2 were just simple extractions and 2 needed to be surgically removed) and I didn't feel any pain at all until the 3rd day after the surgery, and that's without taking any pain pills or even tylenol.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed as well as my 12 year molars on my right side (didn't grow in properly)..all at the same time. 6 teeth! Because they were removing the molars that were turned funny, the had to cut into bone on the right side. During the procedure I didn't feel any pain...just pressure. Yay drugs!!! But the time between when the drugs from the procedure wore off to the time I had my prescription pain meds... that honestly was the worst pain of my life. I remember just sobbing and sobbing. So my advice is get your RX filled as soon as humanly possible and take them as soon as you can!! Also for afterward make sure to rinse out the incisions religiously! I didn't get dry socket, but I've heard horror stories. And mashed potatoes will become your best friend the week after. Also, a couple of days after I found that Marie Calendar's pasta bake type frozen dinners were good. Very squishy but with a decent flavor,
. Good luck!!!

ancientsanskrit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In TX, but will always be a Michigan-boy.
You'll be fine...it's not too bad.

I, like many others had all four removed at once w/two impacted. I was broke at the time and had a local. It's always a nice feeling to hear and feel them crack your teeth into pieces!!
I also went for some cheaper painkillers, which was probably the worst idea. Get the vicodin and have the time of your life!

I ended up getting 2 dry sockets, and that's not too much fun. They ended up sticking gauze soaked in clove oil into two of my sockets; now there's an interesting feeling.

Things like this are subjective as people have varying pain tolerance. My suggestion is go for the IV and knock yourself out. If you feel ballsy, go for the local!

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
all 4 of mine are still back there , i refuse to get them out until im in pain, although, i do have a molar that has been bothering me alot, i think im going to stop being a baby and make an appt for a cleaning and see whats wrong with that tooth.