3 wk old kitten won't go to the bathroom

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I work as a vet tech and we've got an adorable 3 week old kitten that somebody found abandoned in their tool shed. We've already found the wee one a home, but we want him fully weened before sending him home. So I got the task of bringing him home with me and bottle feeding him (at least for this weekend). Problem is we've had him for a day and a half and he still won't go to the bathroom! I've tried stimulating him with warm water soaked cotton balls, a soft cloth, paper towels...everything. Never had too much trouble with the other babies I've bottle fed. Any tricks or advice?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took on an orphaned litter at 20 days old. Because of the switch from mother's milk to KMR, they got a little constipated at first. They did their first poop about 2 days after we started, and that required stimulation. They started to poop on their own closer to 4 weeks old.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It also could be the stress of changing homes - it took both of mine 2 days for them to use the litter boxes, and almost the same time to eat... Hang in there!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

It also could be the stress of changing homes - it took both of mine 2 days for them to use the litter boxes, and almost the same time to eat... Hang in there!
At 3 weeks old, this little one isn't old enough to use a litter box on her own. The magic time for starting to be able to poop on their own without stimulation is somewhere between 3-1/2 and 4 weeks old, at which time you should place them in a litter box and stimulate them there so they relate the box to elimination.