The monsters didn't get me!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The night before last DW closed the window in the den using the levers on top of the window that are then supposed to be locked in place. For some reason she left one of the levers unlocked.

Fast forward to last night. DW has left for California and I am alone in our three story townhome. Persi is laying by the side of me with his head on my lap facing the window. I decided to watch a scary monster movie (The Thing). So there we are, Persi and I. Alley is in her usual hiding place.

All of a sudden I note that the fur on the back of Persi's neck goes straight up and his ears go all the way back on his head. I know that he is very stressed so I do not touch him. I wonder if he does not approve of what I am watching but then I note that he is glaring at the window and suddenly I become afraid something or somebody is trying to get in the window just as he then jumps over me and onto the couch by the window, heading right to the top of the couch where he can get to that window lever. He starts gnawing at the window lever and I have to scream at him to get him to stop. I then close the window lever and all is well the rest of the night. I finish watching the movie and soon Persi is back with his head on my lap.

I told DW about this this morning on the phone. She thinks that Persi was just being a cat and saw something out of its usual place and was just trying to get it back in its proper place. This would be what I would expect TCS members to tell me is normal cat behavior. Although I agree with this in principle, I am taking a more sinister position on this. Here is what I think happened.

I think Persi was already stressed by the monsters on TV. He then saw that the window lock lever was in the unlocked position. He was afraid that monsters were going to come through that window and attack us so he jumped up and used his teeth in an attempt to lock the window so monsters could not get us.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a brave boy your Persi is, protecting his daddy from the evil "thing"!

I think he deserves special treats tonight. Perhaps some rare steak, fed directly to his mouth from your hand?

Persi is such a character!!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your both right! He definitely was spooked, and recognized something was out of place by the window, and wasn't comfortable till it was fixed!
What a little guardian
you have!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha. That always happens when you're watching a scary movie. I think cats plan it...."psst, Fluffy, Mom's going to watch a scary movie tonight. Meet me in front of the fireplace and be prepared to fluff up your tail and howl eerily", LOL.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Haha. That always happens when you're watching a scary movie. I think cats plan it...."psst, Fluffy, Mom's going to watch a scary movie tonight. Meet me in front of the fireplace and be prepared to fluff up your tail and howl eerily", LOL.
Makes me think of an old James Thurber cartoon. A man is sitting with his back to an open window. A dragon is crawling in. The dog is having a fit. The man says (without looking around), "Oh shut up, Spot! What's eating you?"

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

That's it all right