Too many cats????

nastursim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty queen had a litter 4 months ago, and we decided to keep 1, a male of whom the kids chose. There are another 2 remaining, 2 girls, of whom really love each other and the kids have bonded with them also. Do you think it is wrong to keep all of them? Is it true that they will grow up to hate each other, that is what the vet advised, and that they will run away?? I am a little heart broken as I have bonded with them and was prepared to take them on, but I really want what is best for them, but I do know they love each other and don;t want to seperate the girls.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We adopted an entire litter, though ours are indoors only. They don't hate each other! Your vet is probably thinking of cats that don't get sterilized - they will fight for mating and territory. But if you have them all spayed and neutered, there's no reason they won't stay friendly (for the most part) with each other. They should NOT be allowed to procreate with each other (or other cats!) and that will totally reduce the aggression about territory and mating.

Laurie

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you have the love and the ability to care for them.......I would KEEP THEM. I have never heard a vet say that and I have 7 cats and 2 dogs. Most of my cats are litter mates and they are bonded to each other. They sleep together and groom each other.

I have been told by a vet (not sure the truth) that when a cat lives on it's own with no home and must search for food, instinct and survival become important. To survive the mom would "run off" some of the male offspring. Mind you this was for survival. In your home this is NOT a factor.

It will be important to get them all spayed and neutered before they mature so you have no unexpected litters. Brothers and sisters will mate. Between 4to 6 months of age is when most vets will spay/neuter.

Especially now that your children are bonded to them. I personally would keep them. From my experience, it will be a very good situation for the cats and your family. Do what you feel in your heart and it will work out.

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Make sure that all of them are spayed and neutered and you should have very little problems.

For the most part cats co-exist nicely in their little social groups. Yes you will have fighting from time to time but that happens in any sort of familial group (just ask my brother and sister
).

The most important factor is can you afford it... if you can then enjoy your kitty family. And spay/neutering... can't stress that enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nastursim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice. I really do love these kitties, I was there when they were born and they are so beautifully natured. They do not want for anything, I have lots of kiddies to love them all. The male got neutered yesterday and the girls will be getting done over the next couple of weeks. I would really hate to have to give them away to some animal shelter not knowing if they will get a home or not when I can provide them with a home and love.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

I have been told by a vet (not sure the truth) that when a cat lives on it's own with no home and must search for food, instinct and survival become important. To survive the mom would "run off" some of the male offspring. Mind you this was for survival. In your home this is NOT a factor.
This is true only if the pets are all sterilized, especially mom. She does this (runs off her kittens) to prevent mating with her sons and it's the final step in kittens' weaning so they know to care for themselves and not rely on Mom for their lives. A great instinct in the wild but potentially problematic if you're going to keep the whole crew. I once did something similar with a stray I found and had great success, and, yes, they all were fixed when old enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nastursim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Once the male is nurtured and the mother is more settled, will she start to like the other kittens again or will she continue to be hostile toward all of them???

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

How many is too many? More than you can properly care for.

Originally Posted by merindah

I agree with Zane's Pal.

Originally Posted by nastursim

Once the male is nurtured and the mother is more settled, will she start to like the other kittens again or will she continue to be hostile toward all of them???
she'll probably come around.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I have 8 cats right now, but one is probably getting adopted this weekend.
I rescued a litter of 7 feral kittens at 4 weeks old. I found a home for one of them at a younger age, but the other 6 kittens were together until they were about 6 months old and they never "hated" each other. I still have 5 kittens from the litter, they are almost 9 months old now and they all still get along, and get along with my other cats as well. That is, except my 15 year old cat Sneakers who is old and grumpy and doesn't like anyone, but even she has learned to tolerate them as long as they leave her alone. They all were fixed when they were about 4 months old except for the two runts who were too small so we waited. The last one was just spayed yesterday, she was so tiny I wanted to wait.
The kittens still like to sleep in a pile, and at night I sometimes have 2-4 kittens sleeping on my bed. They like to groom each other and play chase. They all get along fine. I would love to keep them all but for me 8 is too many cats... I am probably going to keep at least 1-2 of the kittens (assuming I can find a home for the other 2-3 kittens.)

Here is a photo from last week:

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even when they are all neutered, the mum cat might still not like her son, it is quite common for mums and sons not to get on, but if you can afford them all and have space, give it a go. If it doesn't work out, then you can look at rehoming.