Grain free canned food - where can I buy?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am looking for a grain free canned food for Bugsy. He eats Orijen, and I want to keep him on grain free on wet as well.
I am looking for something that will not break my bank though. I can buy on the internet, but they only sell cases of 12 or 24 for each flavor, and I will run the risk of him not liking it.
What do you feed, where do you get it, and how much do you pay for it? Also, what flavor do your cats like the most?
Online the best price I can get is for EVO...
Thanks!!

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Wellness wet and I get it at our local feed store. It runs about $1.50 for the large can (13 oz). I get a variety of flavors because my cats seem to get tired of one flavor. I usually buy 2 of each available flavor. The beef and beef and chicken are a favorite at our house.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina - go to Petsmart or Petco & buy 1 can of each one you can find [both carry the Blue Buffalo, Sheba & Avoderm - Petco also carries wellness, solid gold, natural balance & nature's recipe]. read the labels - some varieties have flaxseed, but no other grains. some w/o grains have by-products - but you can read ingredients online at their sites [which is what i just did!] & narrow that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

Carolina - go to Petsmart or Petco & buy 1 can of each one you can find [both carry the Blue Buffalo, Sheba & Avoderm - Petco also carries wellness, solid gold, natural balance & nature's recipe]. read the labels - some varieties have flaxseed, but no other grains. some w/o grains have by-products - but you can read ingredients online at their sites [which is what i just did!] & narrow that way.
No Luck at Petsmart - the only two no grain they had were Sheba and By Nature Organics, but both are super expensive - at least when compared to EVO...
I bought a bunch of good canned for the moment, he loves Avoderm (it does have grains, though), and liked Authority as well. He was not impressed with Blue Buffalo, but it also has grains... I think I will go to Petco to see what they got.
Do you feed EVO? If so, where do you get it?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Do you feed EVO? If so, where do you get it?
nope. i feed Authority lamb & rice [no fish ingredients!] wet & RC special 33 kibble [Pixel does best on this one] when i'm plush, & Authority kibble when i'm poor.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wellness here for the most part ... 13oz is 2.45 I buy a case of 12 and get additional 10% off

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

wellness here for the most part ... 13oz is 2.45 I buy a case of 12 and get additional 10% off
Sharky - Where do you buy it? What flavor is the most popular in your house?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can get EVO canned at the pet store an hour from me (2 nearest pet stores are an hour from me - Petco & an independent one) - the independent one carries the cans. The only ones I saw were the 95% meat (I *think*).....but I can't remember the price. The only other grain free is Wellness, which is pricey!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Sharky - Where do you buy it? What flavor is the most popular in your house?
oh, btw, there's a little 'mom & pop' pet food store in Denton called Fish'n'Chirps - you might call & ask them about EVO. that's the only place i used to be able to find Merricks & Halo's Spot's Stew [neither of which passed in my house]. Petco carries the Halo's, 'cause i've seen it there... not sure if i've ever seen Merricks or EVO @ the local Petco.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lol.. they eat whatever flavor gets ordered... local pet store in town orders just for me
... they get a different flavor each month ... mostly poultry

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I buy Wellness from Petco and have discovered that no matter how hungry the two are, they will only, and I do mean ONLY eat the chicken and turkey flavors. They absolutley turn their noses up at any of the other flavors Wellness has.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hennessy likes Natural Balance grain free wets (Well, okay, he likes the venison and tolerates the duck). (ETA: from Petco. Silly me...)

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I bought a bunch of good canned for the moment, he loves Avoderm (it does have grains, though), and liked Authority as well. He was not impressed with Blue Buffalo, but it also has grains... I think I will go to Petco to see what they got.
Blue Buffalo "Blue Wilderness" has two grain free, chicken and turkey.
http://www.bluebuff.com/products/cat...cat-cans.shtml

Avoderm "Select Cuts" are grain free, three of them.
http://www.breeders-choice.com/cat_p...selecutcan.htm

The PetSmart in my area just started stocking the Blue Wilderness grain free. I get the canned Wellness grain free from a local health food store.

There is one (maybe two, not for sure) from Natural Balance that is grain free, the chicken and liver pate'. http://www.naturalbalance.net/catfor...CatCanned.html

Sometimes the grooming pet shops will carry premium pet food. I stopped in one to buy shampoo for the dogs and they stocked Nature's Variety Instinct and Solid Gold.

It is easier to try a few cans before getting a case. There are two places that I have ordered single cans from on the internet without any problems.
http://www.westcoastpetsupply.com/
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/