My cat eats his fur :(

ixi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a long haired cat that leaves fur all over the house. I feel like I'm doing nothing but vacuuming all day long. I even took him to the groomers and got him shaved, but he still leaves fur (lion cut).

He has a tendency to eat any fur he sees which causes him to get hair balls. My vet recommended that we feed him cat grass. We have several pots of grass around the house but he refuses to eat it (not that I blame him, grass doesn't look that appetizing to me either) even when we hand feed him. The only way we can get him to eat the grass is by putting a bit of cream cheese on it, but someone told me that cream cheese isn't good for cats, so I try not to do that too often. We also buy him food that helps with hairballs. He doesn't get hairballs that often, but when he does, it looks really painful.

Is it normal that he's eating his own fur? Is there anything that I can do to help with the hairballs?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if its normal but my Jack loves to eat a hair clump! He's never had a hairball oddly enough though. It drives me mad when I see him doing it.

Leslie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have one cat that eats any fur lying around.
But ours get hairballs just from cleaning themselves. We use this product: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751724

They all seem to love it - we just squeeze a little ribbon of it in a dish and they lick it up. For those with ongoing problems with hairballs, we give them some every other day, and it seems to be doing the job.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ixi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

I'm not sure if its normal but my Jack loves to eat a hair clump! He's never had a hairball oddly enough though. It drives me mad when I see him doing it.

Leslie
Yeah, it's crazy that they do. I don't think I'm ever going to fully understand cats

Originally Posted by LDG

We have one cat that eats any fur lying around.
But ours get hairballs just from cleaning themselves. We use this product: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751724

They all seem to love it - we just squeeze a little ribbon of it in a dish and they lick it up. For those with ongoing problems with hairballs, we give them some every other day, and it seems to be doing the job.

Laurie
Thanks, I'll definitely pick some up this weekend