Study abroad?

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So i am thinking of studying abroad next fall through the university I am at. I am thinking of going to Brighton England, Reading England, and maybe Prague. Im more bent on England because i have always wanted to go there and i would be a train ride away from france and other countries. Anybody ever been to an of the places i listed? Or have experience traveling abroad?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My wife and I studied abroad in France, near Geneva, Switzerland, for one year. We did it through our own colleges, so our credits were guaranteed to be accepted. It actually cost less than going to school in the U.S. for the year.

It's a great experience. I wish I had gone to England rather than France, but I needed the degree.

By the way, I met my wife waiting to board the plane in NYC for the flight to France.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

My wife and I studied abroad in France, near Geneva, Switzerland, for one year. We did it through our own colleges, so our credits were guaranteed to be accepted. It actually cost less than going to school in the U.S. for the year.

It's a great experience. I wish I had gone to England rather than France, but I needed the degree.

By the way, I met my wife waiting to board the plane in NYC for the flight to France.
Awww that is really cute! My parents are afraid I will meet a guy over there adn never come back
. I couldnt leave my cats and horse here
. Cost is actually a lot, i pay here for a semester like $1500 (but i live at home) and over there with everything included it is estimated at $12000 a semester
But I would try and find a student loan. I just really need to get away, since I stayed home for college and things at home kinda suck right now. Plus I would meet a lot of new people!

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did study abroad. I am from Canada and I did my studies in Glasgow, Scotland. It was the best experience of my life! I traveled all of europe for 6 months after, and I worked while I lived in the UK. All I can say is DO IT!! You won't regret it. Anywhere you go in Europe will be very accessible for travel!

Goodluck!

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I did my degree in Brighton, which was great fun, a lovely city though a bit expensive to live in.

Its a mere 50 minutes train ride away from London which in nice at the weekends and its on the sea, though its a pebble beach (ouch!).

The city has a large gay comunity and many artists which makes it quite interesting. Great festival going on in May

Brighton has many students and just as many pubs and clubs
A lot of night live on the weekends.

Nice but small inner city pedestrian area with many little indevidual owner owned shops and cafes.

You wouldn't need a car either, good bus connections within Brighton an a bus going to the university every 5- 10 minutes. Brightons quite small for a city, which means many things will be in walking distance.

Christine

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I lived in Germany for 8 years and since leaving have gone back about 12 times and traveled extensively in Europe (mostly just Italy, Germany, a little France, and briefly in England).

I think any opportunity a person gets to broaden their world view should be taken. It will make you a better person.

I haven't been to the places you listed, so I can't provide specific feedback in terms of where to live/what's best. I'm sure wherever you end up, it will an experience you won't regret!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I didn't study abroad but I have worked in Scotland and Austria. The experience can be as great as you make it. The best advice I can give you is get involved with the local people, immerse yourself in the culture. If you stick with other American students only, you might as well stay home. If you can get the scholarship, I'd say go for it. You'll never regret it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im sooo indesisive (sp?) that I cant choose! If I go to Brighton we will take a field trip to Stonehenge, Oxford, Stratford Upon Avon, London for a day, so that would be cool. But Reading i think is located on the Thames river which would be lovely. I am looking to study art history, i love love ancient culture so a place with a lot of history like Prague would be ideal, but my heart sorta belongs to England

cjh27---oh amazing, you went there! I heard that it has a large gay community and the mom and pa shops. I dont mind it at all, but i wish Brighton was more of a historical town lol. Did you ever visit the towns near there? like any ruins near Brighton?

I have to decide soon to be sure and get a spot, but it is hard when my paretns arent really supporting me wanting to go. I hope that if i do go i will meet people there who i can visit all the time that would be awesome

mobius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to study a broad once, but her husband caught me staring.

<ba-da-bump>

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL Mobius, you're so silly!

My niece's best friend is studying law and art in England and absolutely loves it! She's already been there over a year and I get to see all the pics she takes!

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JuneBugBear07

cjh27---oh amazing, you went there! I heard that it has a large gay community and the mom and pa shops. I dont mind it at all, but i wish Brighton was more of a historical town lol. Did you ever visit the towns near there? like any ruins near Brighton?
Hi,

a lot of the housing in Brighton consists of victorian terraces
. Depending on the area this can sometimes mean really small rooms.

Yea, a few castles and ruins are around- have a look at the National trust site (South east/ Sussex), as most historical buildings are managed by the trust:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...ast-places.htm

Virginia Wolf's house is near by, there's an old mannor house in Brighton, and the royal pavillion- the prince regents humble digs (built around 1810? not terribly old), but Arundel castle was built by the Normans- oh and the near by Lewes is a charming old village with a castle and the best bonfire (Guy fawkes night) in the whole of the UK. Standens not too far away either- William Morris's house.

There's also the rambler bus on the weekends. You have to take the train (10 minute ride) to a country side train station where the bus awaits you. It drives a wide circle around the area and stopps at pubs, in little villages or at Virginia Wolf's house- but you can get on or off where ever you like.

by the way- what does "near" or "far" mean to you?

Brighon

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If you have the opportunity, seize it! To anybody from North America, England is pretty small, so you should be able to see a fair amount of it on weekends and during semester breaks. Ditto Europe, so you'd have an opportunity to visit Prague and several other cities or countries.

I studied in Germany for a year (graduate exchange program) in 1979/80. Your parents are right to worry a bit about your not coming back. I met my husband of nearly 29 years that year, and have been living in Germany on a permanent basis since 1982.