Had to take DS to the doctor

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked my DS up from school today and he seemed upset. I ask him what is wrong and he said he was hit in the head with a paddle ball paddle and it split his skin open. He had a bandaid on, so I asked him to take it off so I could see it, and he had a gash that was about 1/8-1/4" long and looked pretty deep and open. I put a call into his doctor's office to see if I could bring him in to be seen and headed that way. I still hadn't heard back by the time I got there so I just went in to see if they could squeeze him in. I was glad they could. By the time we got there it had closed up and looked better, but the doctor didn't see him until almost 5:00 and it happened at 2:45. They said at that point he didn't need stitches.

I'm so mad that the school didn't call me. They just put a freaking bandaid on it. I don't care if school was getting out in 45 minutes, if they had called me right when it happened I could have gotten him in sooner and he could have had stitches. I shouldn't have to find out about something like this from my son when I pick him up. They didn't know if it caused unseen damage to his eye or the bone. I'm so mad. *grumble* Sorry, I just needed to vent.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree, with that big a gash you should have been notified. I'd be calling the school tomorrow and letting them have a piece of my mind. That's just irresponsible!!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be severely peeved for sure. Definately put in a complaint.... an injury with a gaping or open cut like that needs to have parents called immediately.

A couple yrs back, I got a phonecall from the school. My daughter had fallen and a stone or gravel had cut her like what you are describing (on her forehead near the hairline). She got 3 stiches. It was maybe slightly more than 1/4". I would have been fuming if they hadn't called me.

To just stick a bandaid on it? That is ABSURD. I am appalled, and just don't know what to say.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I completely agree you should have been notified. A couple of times as a girl the school would smack a band-aid over a good sized gash from one of my falls.
Each time they became infected, causing more pain and damage than they would have to begin with! So I'm glad to hear he's doing well despite their oversight!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahh, the same kind of thing happened to me when I was 15 - my chin met the sharp end of a craft knife and I bled a lot - the teacher told me to go to the school office and to get it looked at. The office lady took one look at it and gave me a bandaid. So I went to put it on, but I bled through and around it and I showed her. She said it was fine. A teacher came along and said that I needed stitches and took me to the doctor where I had 7 stitches.

Some people are hopeless when it comes to these things!!!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a stupid school for not notifying you!! It doesn't matter what time of day it happened, they still should have called! Hope it doesn't leave a scar
Poor guy!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
that's odd, not to mention irritating. we're required to document ALL head injuries, in writing, plus call the parents ASAP. is that just a Texas thing?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

that's odd, not to mention irritating. we're required to document ALL head injuries, in writing, plus call the parents ASAP. is that just a Texas thing?
I'm sure all schools are supposed to, just like most businesses are for liability sake.

My grade, middle, and high school was like this too. For the longest they forced kids to keep their rescue inhalers in the office. Kind of defeats the purpose of it being a rescue inhaler, more so when everyone was out of the office.

I can't think of once that they called when I was hurt. With the attitudes and behavior towards some kids from the teachers, most of us didn't want to speak up. So unless I was vomiting in the middle of the floor, my parents never were called for anything.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
things have changed. when i was in 7th grade, i fell down the bleachers & whacked my nose on the top edge of the wall there [we were kept in the gym before school started. i was on the top row, reading, when it was time to leave, & was jumping down the bleachers - hit someone's coat w/my foot. btw, we were NOT supposed to jump, we were SUPPOSED to go down the steps.]

anyway, this was before my mom worked @ this school - they called her right away - told her it looked like i would need stitches [i didn't but i have major scars on the inside of my nose].

i wonder if it was the major bleeding i did that convinced them - or perhaps that a friend of my parents taught at the school?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i wonder if it was the major bleeding i did that convinced them - or perhaps that a friend of my parents taught at the school?
Probably both.
And what a tough way to learn a lesson than tumbling down the bleachers. I wonder if parents were called the few times kids fell off of ours? Our school's away bleachers weren't solid like our home side were (part of a building in fact), you could fall through or off the back of them.