Footage of the holiday lights (a little late)

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was so preoccupied taking care of multiple things (Ally, law school, etc.) that I didn't get around to editing the footage of my holiday lights until a day or two ago.

It's not very good... but thought I'd share anyways:

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow! I particularly liked the polar bears and penguins, and the precious deer family! Thanks for the look.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah, there were a lot of them. All in all there were around or over 60,000 lights up.

btw - to put things in perspective, that footage was taken about 3 days after I first took in Ally.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! How impressive and very pretty!!
Do you have contests where you live for the best light shows??

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been asked that before. I honestly don't know. There might be, but I've never entered if there are.

The display has been on the news 2 years in a row, but never in a contest.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, not really.. lol. I just was late to edit the video footage, and I'm still waiting on receiving copies of the TV news coverage.

Believe it or not, there's still a good 20,000 lights up. The 10 tall palm trees that were lit up never got taken down because my parents don't want me going back up the ladder.

They also don't want to let me rent a cherry picker, or hire somebody to take them down.

So we keep going through this cycle of:

Family: The lights NEED to come down!

Me: Ok, I'm happy to do. I'll do it tomorrow.

Family: NO!!!! It's too dangerous for you to take them down the way you put them up.

Me: Ok, well, what do you want to do then?

Family: Dunno.

Me: Well, there's really only 2 options. I can rent a cherry picker and take them down, that way I don't need to use the ladder, or we can hire somebody to take them down.

Family: No, those would cost money.

Me: Well, me going up the ladder and taking them down doesn't cost money, and like I said, I'm happy to do it.

Family: NO! We don't want you to do that!

Me: Well, do one of you plan to go up there and do it?

Family: We wouldn't know how to do it.

Me: Ok, so you're demanding that the lights come down, but you won't let me do it, nor will you accept any other options for taking them down???

------

anyways, you get the idea. It's frustrating. I think I'm just going to have to do it one of these days on my own without telling them ahead of time. It's really not that big of a deal to take them down. Putting them up was the hard part. Taking them down would take maybe 1 weekend total.

I love my family, but there is a reason I'm moving almost 2,000 miles away from them. lol. These cycles pop up all the time and drive me nuts. The discussions are so insane that to try to actually bring rational thought and discussion to them is insane in and of itself.

But, again - don't get me wrong. They're family and I love them despite this stuff.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! We have some impressive light displays around here at Christmas time. In fact the city offers tours of all of the big displays in the city. However, while your light count isn't as high as some we have here, it certainly is by far the loveliest one I've seen!! I absolutely love Christmas lights!!! Your display must be amazing to see in person. I was mesmerized with the video.

How much does it cost you in electricity to light it up for the season?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

Well, not really.. lol. I just was late to edit the video footage, and I'm still waiting on receiving copies of the TV news coverage.

Believe it or not, there's still a good 20,000 lights up. The 10 tall palm trees that were lit up never got taken down because my parents don't want me going back up the ladder.

They also don't want to let me rent a cherry picker, or hire somebody to take them down.

So we keep going through this cycle of:

Family: The lights NEED to come down!

Me: Ok, I'm happy to do. I'll do it tomorrow.

Family: NO!!!! It's too dangerous for you to take them down the way you put them up.

Me: Ok, well, what do you want to do then?

Family: Dunno.

Me: Well, there's really only 2 options. I can rent a cherry picker and take them down, that way I don't need to use the ladder, or we can hire somebody to take them down.

Family: No, those would cost money.

Me: Well, me going up the ladder and taking them down doesn't cost money, and like I said, I'm happy to do it.

Family: NO! We don't want you to do that!

Me: Well, do one of you plan to go up there and do it?

Family: We wouldn't know how to do it.

Me: Ok, so you're demanding that the lights come down, but you won't let me do it, nor will you accept any other options for taking them down???

------

anyways, you get the idea. It's frustrating. I think I'm just going to have to do it one of these days on my own without telling them ahead of time. It's really not that big of a deal to take them down. Putting them up was the hard part. Taking them down would take maybe 1 weekend total.

I love my family, but there is a reason I'm moving almost 2,000 miles away from them. lol. These cycles pop up all the time and drive me nuts. The discussions are so insane that to try to actually bring rational thought and discussion to them is insane in and of itself.

But, again - don't get me wrong. They're family and I love them despite this stuff.
I will act like your mom now: DON'T you go up that ladder silly boy!

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How much does it cost you in electricity to light it up for the season?
too much. lol. About $1k. To make it work, I save up the holiday budget for the year and put it all into one holiday - so no fireworks on the 4th of July or new years, not much decor on Halloween, etc. etc.

2008 was the last display for a while. I will need to wait until I have house of my own, have gotten my career off the ground, etc. for me to start doing it again.

I will act like your mom now: DON'T you go up that ladder silly boy
haha. It's really not that bad up there. I've got a full harness safety system and all, but they're worried because I got a herniated disk putting the lights up, but it was just a coincidence timing wise. The disk was going to go no matter what, it just coincidentally went while I was working on the display. There was no traumatic event like falling off a ladder or anything. It was just a disk that was crushed from me going too hard at weight lifting and finally herniated while I was just doing minor work on the display.

I understand their concern, but when there are no alternatives that they're happy with, you have to just look at it from the standpoint of, "I'm not going to be here much longer. If I'm going to end up taking them down, which I can see I'm going to end up doing, I better do it now, because if I don't, they'll be permanently up."

I'll wait a little longer though to see if they come up with an alternative I'm not thinking of.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL. Talk about coincidental timing.

I caught my father as he was walking out the door for work and he asked, "Are you going to take the lights down this week?" I replied, "Like I've said, I'm happy to do it."

So I guess I finally have the green light.