A question for all of you

babygirl2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The day that my precious Ryan died is a day that I will never forget. I lost my best friend that day. Now almost 6 months later.. I want a new kitty that can call our place home.. but I wonder if it too soon. I have never been without an animal. We always had cats and dogs growing up.. so this is new for me. Do you think it is too soon?

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babygirl2000

The day that my precious Ryan died is a day that I will never forget. I lost my best friend that day. Now almost 6 months later.. I want a new kitty that can call our place home.. but I wonder if it too soon. I have never been without an animal. We always had cats and dogs growing up.. so this is new for me. Do you think it is too soon?
It's only too soon if someone is pressuring you into it. The fact that you are approaching this on your own leads me to believe that you are ready. As long as you understand you won't get your Ryan back, that whatever animal you get next will not replace him, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it.

Only YOU truly know if you're ready, and it sounds as if you are. Good luck!!!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As I said somewhere else, immediately is not too soon, if you feel the need and can give a cat the love it needs. Never is not too late, if you don't want one. You can never fill the hole in your heart that one cat leaves, but the addition of a new cat can at least keep your heart warm.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is only too soon if you feel it is too soon or if someone is pressuring you to get another and you're not ready.

Rob and I adopted Katina & Monte two weeks after we lost Tigger. After Monte crossed the RB, we waited 2 months before getting Nero. (Rob felt he needed to wait longer this time around. Losing Monte was an even bigger shock than 15 year old Tigger).

In the past, when I lived with my parents, we usually waited 2-3 weeks before getting another kitty - it helped ease the pain and fill the void. (But of course, never "replaced" any of our babies).

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitley do not think it is too soon at all. When my Misty died after almost 16 years I was devastated (I had to put her to sleep cuz of renal failure). I didn't wait long before I went to a shelter to find another kitty and I came home with Autumn. My family and friends told me not to wait cuz I was really upset about losing Misty and I still am. Just because I game my home to another kitty doesn't mean I don't think of Misty every single day and still have her pictures around the house...she will always be the love of my life. I give Autumn everything she wants and needs and we have lots of playtime but I as yet don't feel the strong love for her as I did with Misty...I know that will come tho with time.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sweetie, I lost my precious Susie over 20 years ago and I still think about her. In the meantime I've been lucky to have shared my life with 3 other cats including our dear Bijou. Each and every one has been a treasure with a purrsonality of their own. I never replaced Susie, but I did share my heart and love with some other sweet cats and gave them a wonderful home.

As the others have said it is not too soon unless you are being pressured. If there is a feeling of an empty space in your heart then go get a kitty (or 2) to share your love and caring for. There are so many out there looking for their forever someone to love and care for them. They in turn will fill your heart with love and affection.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that if you're considering getting a new kitty, posting about it....then it's time

RIP Ryan

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Was this your only kitty?

I think about this all the time, what I would do in a situation such as yours; having multiple cats, I would think I would tend to re-bond with my other cats, hold them a little bit closer, and grieve together with them. Without really having any idea of my reaction, I would certainly think within 6 months I would have my bearings about me with regards to getting another.

And if it was my only pet, all bets are off. There would be such a gaping hole in my heart, I would be measuring that time in days or weeks, not months. Kudos to you for waiting that long to make sure you're doing what's right.

You've earned the right to fill that void. I'm willing to bet Ryan would want you to share the love that you showed him.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

As I said somewhere else, immediately is not too soon, if you feel the need and can give a cat the love it needs. Never is not too late, if you don't want one. You can never fill the hole in your heart that one cat leaves, but the addition of a new cat can at least keep your heart warm.
What a wonderful way to put that!

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When we first moved into our house almost 17 years ago, we got 2 cats within 2 months of each other. We still have Mistoflees. Tigger died when he was 7 years old- he got hit by a car.

Well, the kids were sad, I was sad. Wanted no more cats. Mistoflees seemed to be fine as an "only".

2 years later, I still didn't know if I was ready. Well, my inlaws called. They had found a mama cat with kittens, wanted to know if we wanted one. I wasn't too sure, but the REST of the family wanted one, so Sneaky Pie made the 12 hour trip from Indiana to Va.

And you know what- I couldn't imagine our life without her now

I've taken more pictures of that cat (she's very photogenic
).

Cheryl

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Couldn't have said it better. You're sounding ready.