Viva la 'Revolution'?

kunskitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two questions for all of you wiser and experience cat people:

1) My cat is an indoor cat, save for going to the vet he never goes outside, does he really need an anti flea/tick/whatever med?
- We do live in an area with some strays outside, though we don't normally interact with them
- We live in an urban area, not a natural jungle with like grass right out front our door and whatnot

2) What is the best anti flea/tick med that would be for him in relation to price?
- I can afford these things if he really needs them to keep him healthy, but I don't want to throw away money on things he doesn't need you know?

Thanks all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kunskitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good info there on the meds, but not so much for my first question if it's necessary or not. Any opinions?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kunskitten

Good info there on the meds, but not so much for my first question if it's necessary or not. Any opinions?
Well, I have an opinion. Our cats are indoor only but get Advantage (Mika) and Revolution (Bijou) from April/May until October/November, depending on the weather. We humans can easily bring in fleas, ticks, etc. on our clothing from walking through the grass. I've had a bad infestation of fleas to the point I needed to get an exterminator in and have my cat de-fleaed at the vet. Fleas are not easy to get rid of in a short time so I do the monthly treatment for the cats and for us. Fleas don't bother my hubby or daughter but they love my blood.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kunskitten

If you read through the posts, you will find that there are posts from those who don't treat, with explanations

I'm still on the fence as to whether to treat or not because Kizzy is indoors only but I live in a sandy area and my dog goes in and out (my dog gets treated). Ultimately I think I'm going to wait and see. See if Kizzy does get any fleas or not.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's some of the responses from the other post:

Originally Posted by twstychik

We don't use flea treatment. Both cats are indoor only and we don't have a dog. It's fortuntely never been an issue except for when I found Frankie on the streets as a kitten.
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

They are indoors so I don't use anything if they don't need it. I did pre-treat Riley last year with Revolution because we took him on vacation where there were indoor/outdoor animals who were not treated and I didn't want him to pick anything up while he was there.

Xander had a reaction (hair loss) to his recent Revolution application so I won't be using that again regardless.
Originally Posted by KatGoddess

I chose "other" because neither my dog or cat uses flea meds. As you know, Snake_Lady, I see no less than three different vets and while one is conventional (drugs are always her first treatments for everything), the other two are holistic and half holistic/conventional. These two recommended that I not use those flea drops monthly because it can be taxing on the liver. Instead, they told me to treat them *when* they get fleas. I haven't had a problem so far (my dog is now six years old). It is a pesticide/insecticide, so I do refrain from using it.

Where I am, fleas are apparently a big problem. Supposedly. But like I said, never had a problem yet (knock on wood).
Originally Posted by laureen227

haven't found the need to use one. i rarely go outside [only when i MUST, like to mow or whatever] & my indoor only cats don't have fleas.
now, i'm sure the ferals do - but they run away from me, so i can't medicate them.
It's really a tough call.....

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I dont flea treat my cat as she is the only pet in the house
and she is inside only. I did flea treat on first intro. to my house
I recused her as a feral cat at my folks yard in the country.
Saying that, she did however get fleas 1 time in past 4 years
during a bad summer of fleas per the vet.
I watch very carefully for any extra scratching. I also have a
couple white towels down on her favorite beds, window ledge and look for flea
poop and check her fur best as possible during the summer
months. When needed I usually buy frontline plus but some cats
do have reaction with a particular flea treatment, they do use
different chemicals. In saying that I would buy the best flea treatment
that your cat does not have a reaction too.
I really dont believe in over meds. so I dont use routinely.
Oh I see live in Florida, That is a tough call, I would think your
area has fleas all year round.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Based on your cat's environment, I'd say that it's unnecessary. Concrete jungle, indoors-only — you don't have to worry about fleas. We never treated indoor cats when I lived in an area like that, and never had a problem.

Because chemicals are involved, I always think that it's better to avoid flea treatment when it's not necessary.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd say get the medications from the vet if you have any fleas. When I was living in Florida, flea treatments were a must, even with indoor cats, but I haven't had to use any since I got to California (treated the cats before we left home), where I guess I'm not bringing any fleas inside. I'll guess if you live in a place that's hot and humid, or has hot and humid summers, you are going to need to treat your cat. But you don't need to guess based on location: just do as Ms.Blackie suggests and have your cat sleep on something white every once a while. The moment you spot "flea dirt" (feces) go to the vet and buy the treatment.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm learning about fleas since my indoor cats have been getting treated for them for the past 3 months. I never have had to treat them before in all the years I have had cats. I have been using revolution the first 2 months and frontline this last month. My husband and I just got done bombing the house yesterday. We had to board the cats at the vet. The bombs we used didn't smell up the house at all. The vet said once dried it was not toxic and we haven't had any problems with any of our cats. I put diatamacious earth in my carpets and around my couches. Hopefully after all this which has cost me approx 500.00, including the vet trip because one of my cats is allergic to flea saliva, we have got rid of them!

I guess what I am trying to say is it can get expensive if you live in a multicat home and do wind up getting fleas into your home. Also it would depend on where you live. Some States don't get as bad with fleas as others. My vet told me the south is really bad for fleas.

I also don't like the idea of putting a toxic substance on my cats each month if I don't have to.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm all for it. Even if you don't have a flea problem, Revolution in particular helps against other things, including ear mites (which my indoor only cat just had). Also, something that nobody has mentioned, it protects against heartworms!!! I know there is a lot of mixed feelings about feline heartworms, but it does exist. Rare I would say, but I've seen 3 cases of suspected feline heartworms and 1 confirmed case in the last 6 months. Heartworms in cats isn't like in dogs. There is no sure fire treatment. In fact, there is very very little that can be done. And especially since you're from Florida, heartworms is a concern. And I'm sure everyone gets mosquitoes in their house from time to time, especially with spring here. So, indoor or not, your babies are at risk!!!! Just something to keep in mind.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a fan of revoultion - my girl Flutterby got earmites once and I gave her a dose - I then read the packet and it said you had to give two doses to kill ear mites. I'm not spending $25 on that.

I'm an advantage fan.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I'm not a fan of revoultion - my girl Flutterby got earmites once and I gave her a dose - I then read the packet and it said you had to give two doses to kill ear mites. I'm not spending $25 on that.

I'm an advantage fan.
I've never heard that you need 2 doses....I've always used just one dose and it worked fine. I think it's a lifesaver for when a household of 10 cats all come down with ear mites. Expensive, yes, but way better than trying to hold down 10 struggling cats to put junk in their ears twice a day for 2 weeks.

But I don't use Revolution on a regular basis. Only when there's an ear mite outbreak. I do use Advantage or Frontline in the summer.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I've never heard that you need 2 doses....I've always used just one dose and it worked fine. I think it's a lifesaver for when a household of 10 cats all come down with ear mites. Expensive, yes, but way better than trying to hold down 10 struggling cats to put junk in their ears twice a day for 2 weeks.

But I don't use Revolution on a regular basis. Only when there's an ear mite outbreak. I do use Advantage or Frontline in the summer.
You're right I just looked up the instructions on the net. It must have been my vet who told me that 2 doses is more effective.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally I use it from May-September here, but I noticed you're in Florida and those pests never really die down there. Revolution is also a heartworm preventative, which is typically transmitted through mosquito bites so I'd say it's a good idea particularly during mosquito season. Also consider how much time you're spending outdoors, or if you ever have any animal visitors stopping by (i.e., friend with dog or something) as it only takes 1 flea or tick to start a problem in your house.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Revolution is great if you have a mite or scabies problem or an in/outdoor cat who hunts for a living...

That said, it seems to be more prone to causing allergic reactions in my experience. Our family's cat is allergic to it. Her hair falls out where it was applied and the skin gets red and itchy. I prefer frontline for just fleas/ticks. and I don't use anything on Aya 'cause she's indoor only, although she got a couple months dose when I found her as a flea-ridden kitten (Frontline has a younger age limit than Revolution which I think might mean its the lesser of the chemical evils...

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 dogs/3 cats who are all indoor/outdoor, in rural Texas. We treat for NOTHING. We also don't have fleas/ticks except for a very occasional one we see every few years, which are easily fixed with a bath in regular pet shampoo.

We keep our lawn healthy and use organic products inside and out. I think that goes a long way toward making it unattractive for pests to hang.

I'm not a fan of use of unnecessary chemicals---PERIOD.

C

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You still need to give them revolution for heartworms..They can be very dangerous. There are medications that are for hearworms only but the way I see it, if i'm giving them a med for heartworms why not give one that takes care of all bugs?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I don't know if it's a fact or not but my vet told me that Revolution was not a treatment for earmites and heartworm - it was a preventative in which case using it after already getting earmites or heartworm wouldn't be very effective.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I don't know if it's a fact or not but my vet told me that Revolution was not a treatment for earmites and heartworm - it was a preventative in which case using it after already getting earmites or heartworm wouldn't be very effective.
Correct on it being heartworm preventative. I'm not sure on the earmites as to whether or not it treats or only prevents. We used Revolution once after an earmite issure but the vet also gave ivermectin sub-q.