Earth Hour

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.earthhour.org
I'm sure you've seen a commercial or 2 about this but we should still spread the word!
Are you participating in Earth Hour? If so what are you doing during lights off? I think Gary and I will have some *ahem* quiet time

Will you atleast make sure all unnecessary lights in your house are off? Or do you feel its just another gimmick?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like a great plan to me! I can light a few candles for a while, or if its nice outside, go out and watch the stars for a while.

I've already passed the word around.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i already don't use much, light-wise. right now, there's a lamp behind me, a single light on in the kitchen [so i can go there for liquids w/o turning on lights] & 1 on in the bedroom. all are the low-energy fluorescent light bulbs they make now in the light bulb size.
i live in a cave
intentionally, no less!

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it just for an hour? I will be doing homework so i will prob need some kind of light or use of laptop. But i will turn off everything else

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not likely, for two reasons: 1) I have poor sense of time. If I didn't wear a watch I wouldn't even be able to keep track of the days of the week, let alone some specified time if it's not set into a routine for me. 2) We already turn unnecessary lights/items off. (people shouldn't need something like Earth Hour to encourage this habit! )

Of course there's a third very likely reason - I'll probably be at work.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No because while being earth friendly is a great idea .. IT is an ALL the time thing
_

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I have to say this is the first I've heard of it. I probably won't do anything different than usual. I work some Saturday nights. If I'm not working I go to the church Saturday evening to practice the organ for the Sunday service. I leave a small nightlight on for the kitties while I'm gone. If I happen to finish my practice early I'll go home and read a book, but only need one light for that.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I probably wont do it either but mostly because I'll be at work or the movies but I voted "Maybe we'll see"
Me too, I have no idea where I will be at that time.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Exactly when is it? I couldn't find a specific date and time.
Mar 28 at 8:30pm EST

and yes I will do it.

We are conservative as it is, but generally during the evening we are watching tv or playing on the computers.

I am one for "every little bit counts". I'd be happier if it was done every month.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
When I looked it up it said 8:30 PM local time, which makes me think it will be shifting across the time zones, not simultaneous for the whole country. That actually makes sense because 8:30 EST would be 5:30 my time and it wouldn't even be dark yet.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

http://www.earthhour.org
I'm sure you've seen a commercial or 2 about this but we should still spread the word!
Are you participating in Earth Hour? If so what are you doing during lights off? I think Gary and I will have some *ahem* quiet time

Will you atleast make sure all unnecessary lights in your house are off? Or do you feel its just another gimmick?
Thanks for bringing this up. I didn't know about it.

Although I am not convinced that climate change is our fault, I am convinced that we need to conserve energy.

I think my husband and I will participate, and take it one step further. I think we will turn all electricity off. It's only one hour! Anyone with us?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

When I looked it up it said 8:30 PM local time, which makes me think it will be shifting across the time zones, not simultaneous for the whole country. That actually makes sense because 8:30 EST would be 5:30 my time and it wouldn't even be dark yet.
ahhhh. Thanks for clearing it that up. It makes more sense that way

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby doesn't want to, but on that day, I'll just go around and start turning off the lights and he'll have no choice but to sit outside with me and enjoy the stars!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose other: I very rarely have many lights on when I'm home and the couple that I do are very low watt "green" bulbs. I live alone and tend to use the computer or watch tv in a darkened room anyway.

So I guess I'll just read for a while under a low energy light bulb rather than watch tv or get online during that hour.

I try to help conserve on a daily basis, be it water, electricity or recycling materials. So I don't feel the need to participate in a symbolic single hour when I've made entire lifestyle modifications over the years to live responsibly on our planet.

I think folks should be encouraged to make lifestyle changes that are permanent: just like a diet doesn't work but a permanent change in eating behavior DOES work.

JMO.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, and this response should probably be in IMO. But someone telling me to shut my lights off makes me want to run all over the house and turn on every light possible. Sorry.
Normally I like to conserve. But I don't want to be told what to do...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^
As I said earlier, people shouldn't need something like this to know to turn their extra lights off anyways. ...now if only my neighbors would learn that their porch lights are unneeded at three am - they shine in our bedroom windows.

Originally Posted by GingersMom

I live alone and tend to use the computer or watch tv in a darkened room anyway.
You do know that is very bad for your eyes, right? I have to have a light on or my eyes burn and feel like they want to pop out of my head. It's something to do with eye strain and reduced blinking in a darker room making my dry eye worse.