What do I do now?

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The rescue lady I talked to told me to give my cats amoxicillin. That's fine, all the sick ones will eat what I give them. EXCEPT Mel! She thinks I'm trying to trick her, like I did when she got spayed. And she's the sickest one. I called the vet to ask about an injection that she would only need once or at least not every day and they said there wasn't one. But there is, convenia works, doesn't it? I'm not sure what to do. Try another vet?

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Convenia is an antibiotic shot that can be given for certain illnesses. What are they sick with? I've seen vets use it for a variety of things...some think it's less effective, but it's certainly more effective if you can't give her any medicine! But maybe this particular vet doesn't have it. It's fairly new. I know some of the vets in my area still don't carry it.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a situation recently with some rescued feral kittens. They had an URI and the vet wanted me to medicate all 7 daily. Well, knowing what I was facing, I insisted on an injection. I had to explain the circumstances several times. In the end they all got penicillin shots. Simple solution and an old drug.

So, yes, there are options if your vet is willing. Can you call another vet office and explain that there is no way to get meds into your cat by mouth?

Hope you can get some help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

Convenia is an antibiotic shot that can be given for certain illnesses. What are they sick with? I've seen vets use it for a variety of things...some think it's less effective, but it's certainly more effective if you can't give her any medicine! But maybe this particular vet doesn't have it. It's fairly new. I know some of the vets in my area still don't carry it.
Well, they were exposed to URI...but the rescue lady I talked to said it sounded like chlamydia. So one of those. I don't know why they'd have chlamydia when they were exposed to URI. But I don't know, but I want them to be healthy. I emailed a cat vet in wichita, if they don't get back to me tomorrow I'll talk to the cat rescue lady again. Can I just order antibiotics myself? I ordered the amoxi stuff myself.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The single dose antibiotic shot is Convenia. My vet is pretty current in her practices and has been carrying it for about 4 months now. So it is pretty new, but one shot and its equivalent to a week of antibiotics.

I've had 2 successful treatements for UTI's with the shot. Haven't tried it on a cat with a URI. My vet is in Gardner Kansas. I know that's probably a 3 hour drive for you, but if you can't find anything closer........

I would just ask your vet to order it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The shelter has used convenia shots for URIs with success. Are there any other vets you can call around to see if they will give it?

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

The shelter has used convenia shots for URIs with success. Are there any other vets you can call around to see if they will give it?
I've emailed the cat hospital of wichita. It's close to where Jon works. If they don't email me back today, I'll call them. If they can't help, I'll call Country Cats again.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I talked to three vets today. They wouldn't help. Someone ACTUALLY said to me "It probably wouldn't be worth it anyway." What the HELL? Would they say that if she was someone's pet? I don't think so. I really thought this one place was gonna help, they said they'd call me, they called me at work and said they couldn't. I hung up the phone and started crying. I'll try some more places tomorrow. She looks a bit better, but not much. Gus, Wil and Mya had their second antibiotic dose today.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kscatlady

I talked to three vets today. They wouldn't help. Someone ACTUALLY said to me "It probably wouldn't be worth it anyway." What the HELL? Would they say that if she was someone's pet? I don't think so. I really thought this one place was gonna help, they said they'd call me, they called me at work and said they couldn't. I hung up the phone and started crying. I'll try some more places tomorrow. She looks a bit better, but not much. Gus, Wil and Mya had their second antibiotic dose today.
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. Even people in the vet business don't understand about this. It's heartbreaking.
for you for trying so hard.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry too! Thank goodness we live in a rural area and all the vets are willing to work with ferals if we bring them in! It must be so terribly frustrating.

you'll find the right place!

BTW - have you tried calling other rescues - maybe find out what vets they use? You can search here:

http://www.pets911.com
You can also search on http://www.petfinder.com - look up all the orgs that have cats posted for adoption - there's contact info associated with each org there.

Laurie