Cat Show & Pictures

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to a cat show this weekend (meeting up with another TCS member) and we were wondering if it is likely they will let us take pictures. Anyone know?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure - if you are taking pictures in the benching area, just ask the owner if you can take a picture of their cat. In the judging rings, its ok, but do NOT use a flash when you take the picture.

Where's the show and what association?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Sure - if you are taking pictures in the benching area, just ask the owner if you can take a picture of their cat. In the judging rings, its ok, but do NOT use a flash when you take the picture.

Here in NZ you don't need to ask the owner if a picture needs to be taken. It's usually sort of flattering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Its the Hamilton Cat Fanciers Cat Show in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. I am meeting Imunsie (owned by Kismet and Cello). This will be our very first cat show and we are both very excited.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Here in NZ you don't need to ask the owner if a picture needs to be taken. It's usually sort of flattering.
No asking here either

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope to see a Sphynx up close and possibly even touch one.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just think its polite to ask first. After all, the owner might position the cat a little better for a good picture for you. And when people have wanted Charlie's picture, they always ask first.

Yes, try to touch a Sphynx - first touch is probably the strangest feeling to pet a cat with no fur
And compare to a Cornish if there is one. People are shocked to find how soft they are cause they usually think they are course or wire feeling or something. Let me know if any Oci's are at the show (don't think there will be).

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I just think its polite to ask first. After all, the owner might position the cat a little better for a good picture for you. And when people have wanted Charlie's picture, they always ask first.

Yes, try to touch a Sphynx - first touch is probably the strangest feeling to pet a cat with no fur
And compare to a Cornish if there is one. People are shocked to find how soft they are cause they usually think they are course or wire feeling or something. Let me know if any Oci's are at the show (don't think there will be).
I would definitely ask before just assuming I could take a photo. My hubby loves Abyssinians so I hope there are some at the show.

If there are any Oci's I'll do my best to get some pictures. I'm hoping to get at least a couple pictures of every kind of cat there!

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do hope you are able to pet a Sphynx, they really feel nothing like they look IMO (I say this as my two warm purr bags are trying to climb into my lap). I do love a rex coat of ay kind as well
My only experience with that are my rex rats, very soft and I love the curls and waves.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When people have asked to take a photo of my cats I usually will bring take them out of the cage or get a toy out to get their attention so they can get a better photo. So, if you ask first you might get much better shots.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I guess for those that work/help out at cat shows - they cannot be around their cats 24/7. We can't sit where our cats are benched either. There's only one area - the club supplies the cages and each cat has its own cage.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I'm back from the show. What a treat! My pictures are terrible but Lisa's SO, Steve, was taking pictures and I think his are going to be much better.

There were 2 Ocicats - one light and one darker. Beautiful. Scottish Folds, Siamese, Maine Coone, Burmilla, Ragdolls, Persians, Bengals galore to name a few. Everyone was wonderful about picture taking and letting me touch the Sphynx - what a sweet fellow he was. The only folks that wouldn't let me touch their cat was the Cornish Rex owner.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you think of the sphynx?
The people helping me if Cleo goes to the show have Cornish Rexes and I can not wait to touch them.
I am glad you had fun.
Post the pictures.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a wonderful time at the cat show! Petting the sphynx was something alright! I actually really liked it and can see how it could be addicting~

I will post pictures tonight, for now I'm at work~!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you had a great time getting to see them all. Am surprised and pleased there was two Oci's there. Did you happen to ask the colors? Can't wait for the pics

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Sounds like you had a great time getting to see them all. Am surprised and pleased there was two Oci's there. Did you happen to ask the colors? Can't wait for the pics
Of course! Unfortunately, with my senior moments unless I write down these things, they get trapped inside my brain never to see the light of day again.

Here is the only half-decent photo I got of the light one and I'm not even sure if that's the ocicat or a bengal. I know, I'm hopeless!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a Snow or Snow Mink Bengal - the Bengal breeders would know the proper color. I KNOW its not an Ocicat color - we have 12 colors:

Tawny (black spots)
Chocolate (chocolate spots) - like Charlie
Cinnamon (red-chocolate, cinnamon color spots) - like Jack
Blue (blue spots)
Lavender (lavender or bluish-pink spots)
Fawn (pinkish-brown/tan spots)

Then add the Silver to the background to get Silver, Chocolate-Silver, etc for the other 6 colors. Does that help you pick out the 2 colors? I'm guessing one of them was a Chocolate