My feral

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've posted about Oreo before. I've been feeding him for more than 2 years. He is SLIGHTLY less terrified of me than he used to be. But that's about it. He won't let me touch him. He does know his name.

He comes faithfully to eat every evening, at least once in the night and just before sunrise. I feed him Iams cat food, natural cat treats and tuna juice mixed in with water. And for the last month or so he's slept on my patio on the lounger - I put a fleece blanket down and he sleeps on that. The back patio light stays on all night and has for years. So he can see if any other cats try to come around, etc.

Quite a few times during the coldest part of the winter he came inside to eat and then left. Now that it's warmer he doesn't do that anymore. Once or twice he wandered further into my living room but he was spraying and of course I didn't want that in my house. So I just very carefully and calmly moved in his direction and he went outside. He didn't run away from me or act scared.

So finally to my questions. He's been looking worse for the wear during the last 4 weeks or so. Do you have any suggestions?

Do you know of a wormer I can get without a prescription and that I can somehow get in his food?

Please give me any and all suggestions.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rescuer uses strongid - I think it is pretty good, but it doesn't take care of tapeworms.
As far as him spraying inside of your house: is he spayed? If not, would you be able to trap him and get him to the vet?
Any chance of him being inside at all?

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We borrowed a trap from our local humane society, where they offer low-cost spay/neuter, vaccinations, and other vet services. Maybe there's a group in your area that can help you with these things? There were even some organizations that had pledged money to cover some of the vet costs for persons who applied for funds.

I found this list of rescues, but am not sure if it'll be helpful. If they can't help you, maybe they can point you in the right direction.

http://muttcats.com/shelters/arizona.htm

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're an angel for wanting to help this kitty.
It really is best to trap him and get him to a vet to be neutered - that way he can't help get females pregnant to bring more homeless kittens into this world.

We borrowed a trap from our vet (at first) and just paid a regular neuter rate. But you can search for low cost spay/neuter services in a couple of places. Depending upon where you are in AZ, they have some great programs.

http://www.pets911.com

At Petfinder you can scroll through the list of kitties up for adoption and each one has the organization listed next to it - they all have links to either their websites or contact pages.
http://www.petfinder.com

You can also search here: http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

As to worms.... there are so many things this kitty could have. And if they're going to remain outside, deworming doesn't necessarily help much, because they're likely to just get them again.
On the other hand, kitties that live entirely outdoors, especially if they're truly feral, actually develop the ability to expel most of them and they don't cause a great problem. The problem is there's just no way to know.

That's why when an outside kitty, feral or otherwise, doesn't look like they're doing well, it is always best to actually get them to a vet.
The only way to do that is to trap them.

Many rescues will either lend you a trap or loan you one - some require a deposit, some charge a small fee for its use.

If the other links don't turn up anything in your area, you can also contact Alley Cat Allies to see if there are any "Feral Friends" in your area that can help: http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=355

or you can contact the Best Friends Network to see if they have anyone in your area that can help: http://www.bestfriends.org/nomorehom...ts/thenetwork/ scroll down the page - in the column on the right you'll find what you need.

Good luck with this guy - hope he's OK!

Laurie

cat-tastrophe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a liquid wormer called 'D-Worm' that comes in a pink bottle. You can find it at Petsmart or other local pet stores I think.

Me and my sisters fed and cared for a beautiful, old tomcat named Guy, until my parents decided to stop feeding him because we were planning on moving. He went back to the farm he lived at previously. We got him fairly tame, but I have a deep respect for feral felines and their lifestyle. One thing we never did was attempt to alter his way of life and make him unhappy.

I think you're doing the best thing for your feral friend. He sure is lucky to have you to provide food, TLC and a bed for him, that's all any cat could ask! About the spraying, all cats do it, whether or not they're neutered. We neutered a stray tomcat years ago (probably wouldn't do it now), and he still sprays! Thankfully he's outdoor only and he loves it anyhow! Good for both parties!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat-tastrophe

I use a liquid wormer called 'D-Worm' that comes in a pink bottle. You can find it at Petsmart or other local pet stores I think.

Me and my sisters fed and cared for a beautiful, old tomcat named Guy, until my parents decided to stop feeding him because we were planning on moving. He went back to the farm he lived at previously. We got him fairly tame, but I have a deep respect for feral felines and their lifestyle. One thing we never did was attempt to alter his way of life and make him unhappy.

I think you're doing the best thing for your feral friend. He sure is lucky to have you to provide food, TLC and a bed for him, that's all any cat could ask! About the spraying, all cats do it, whether or not they're neutered. We neutered a stray tomcat years ago (probably wouldn't do it now), and he still sprays! Thankfully he's outdoor only and he loves it anyhow! Good for both parties!
Firstly - do not use over-the-counter wormers - unless you are a vet and had a fecal done or are very, very experienced in dealing with feral cats, you could do more harm than good. You could even kill them if you give them the wrong dewormer and/or the wrong dosage for their weight/size. Also, a lot of over-the-counter dewormers do not work - simple as that and you end up still paying a vet for dewormers so you haven't saved a penny.

Secondly, all cats do not spray. Normally it is only unneutered males that spray. Sometimes if a male is neutered later in life they may still spray after that neutering but generally neutering will stop the spraying. That is why it is so important to neuter while the cats are young. Same for females, it compromises their health to have heat after heat. They can end up with pyomenta and males with testicular cancer.

Unfortunately some folks that live on farms don't give the care to their cats and dogs that those of us who have these animals as pets do. I know I grew up on a farm and cats were "disposable" animals that kept the mouse population down. My father and the other farmers never had a cat spayed - they just drowned the kittens. Fortunately the folks that have long tenure here have learned much about our pet felines and wouldn't dream of treating them like that any more, i.e., dumping them outside to live, not neutering and allowing them to go into heat after heat, drowning newborn kittens or trying desperately to find homes for them that often are not the best homes or where they are mistreated, leaving males unneutered to wander in search of females, fighting over females and getting cut up/scratched up or worse.

I'm afraid that in rural areas, farmers still treat these cats as disposable and do not care for them properly. Even the vets in the rural areas are usually specialized in large animals only. I know I took our Bijou to one of the local farm vets once and the vet seemed not to know what to do with him. He didn't check his ears or his teeth. I didn't go back.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat-tastrophe

About the spraying, all cats do it, whether or not they're neutered.
Whoa! No way, not at all! All cats do not spray!

To the OP, some vets might allow you to bring in the cat just for de-worming if you explain what you're doing. If you've seen worms, they'll probably know what to give you by your description. Or, they might give you some pills to take home. The cost for a deworming from our vet is about $11. I don't know how much over the counter dewormer is, but I think it isn't a substantial savings from the one administered by the vet.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The problem with de-worming meds that can be purchased at a pet store is that they do not work and as Linda pointed out, they can actually harm the cat.

De-worming meds purchased OTC do NOT kill the parasite. They act via a different mechanism than prescription deworming medication, and they merely cause a cat to expel, alive, the adult worms in their gut through their feces. This does not help the cat, as the eggs are still there to hatch, it leaves the risk that the cat simply injests the worms again buy burying it's feces, and then cleaning itself, simply reinfecting with the same parasites. If the cat is full of worms, it is very hard on their systems, and merely leaves lots of live parasites to infect other animals in the wild or on the farm - especially dogs, as they are attracted to cat feces to eat it as it smells like protein to them.

Over-the-counter deworming meds should never be used.

Laurie

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

Whoa! No way, not at all! All cats do not spray!

To the OP, some vets might allow you to bring in the cat just for de-worming if you explain what you're doing. If you've seen worms, they'll probably know what to give you by your description. Or, they might give you some pills to take home. The cost for a deworming from our vet is about $11. I don't know how much over the counter dewormer is, but I think it isn't a substantial savings from the one administered by the vet.
Especially if it is harmful or doesn't work anyway. You'll have had to spend money on the vet and on OTC meds so end up paying more in the long run.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you ALL for your help and replies!

Now Oreo looks like one of his back legs has been injured in the last day or two. He looked especially bad when he came to my house tonight.

I'm considering trapping him - it would be exceptionally difficult and I would have to find some help - and taking him to the vet. I really cannot afford to pay the vet for his care as much as I want to. I've been ill over the last 2 years and I'm really behind on my most important bills. But I care alot about Oreo and want to help him. I've checked the links to Alley Cat Allies and the other ones and so far haven't found anyone who can help me.

A former vet tech who is a friend recommended giving him up to 20 mg diflucan crushed up in his food. Or vitamin C crushed in his food. Can I give him a half aspirin for the pain? I'm not worried about worms at this point.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. I'm sick again and this all seems like more than I can do.

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
P.S. Alley Cats says they have no Feral Friends in my entire state.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by JeanW

Can I give him a half aspirin for the pain?
No, dont. There are strong recommendations NOT to give human pain killers for cats . Harmful for them.

Although I HAD seen aspirin and some other common human painkillers discussed in a veterinary manual, so it is perhaps not an absolute no no, but the dosage is crucial. Too much is very harmful!!!

So unless you do know exactly what you are doing, and how much per each kilo - do not give cats human painkillers. You must have the exact dosage table, know how much the cat weights, and have a good way to know how much you do give them: it is probably something like one tenth of a pill for a normal cat. How do you part a pill so you KNOW it is exactly one tenth?? It is easier with pain killers in liquid.

p.s. Im sending you JeanW and your ferale protegÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] my vibes!

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
NO NO... do NOT give ibuprofen or other anti pain meds! ONLY asprin can be used and that is BABY ASPRIN and then ONLY a certain dose every 3 DAYS. NOT every day. Not really worth it, because pain relief is not great (I dealt with this with cat arthritis...)

Metaclalm (sp??) is used but can have side effects for temp. pain relief, dosage dependent on weight and it is prescription from vet.

Bupranol (sp??) is an opiate, can be used and is give for spay surgery or other pain. By prescription from vet. Wonks em out. Makes em pretty relaxed and friendly too...

See if a vet will assist you!!! Try and trap poor Oreo for care, if nothing
else, and to neuter/sputer.

Regarding worming : diatomachous earth (sp?) is considered natural and safe, for worms and can be eaten by the cat fairly safely (there's a formula) help deworm. It is used for tick n flea control and bug control as well.

Its the holistic organic approach. You can buy a lb bg for v. little (7.99) and use to dust the earth round yr house if you have pets (esp places fleas like wet and dark ditto ticks) and dose the cat. Try looking in your local library for a book about holistic care.

You can also get some stuff over the counter, but as they mention here, it may not be as effective as what you get from vet. I haven't personally experience cats having adverse reactions when dosed over the counter, but again, if you don't do it right that might happen.

also there are some worms you can't treat over the counter... for example Nothing I know of over the counter for example for tapeworm.

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, y'all! I'm afraid he went away to die.
He looked really really bad the last time I saw him. He wouldn't let me touch him, he wouldn't come in, I couldn't trap him.

He hasn't been to my house in 10 days after coming EVERY SINGLE DAY to eat for at least 2-1/2 years. I can't find him anywhere. I'm just heartbroken.

Can anyone offer me any hope or ideas?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by JeanW

Can anyone offer me any hope or ideas?
Perhaps someone other good people saw him sick and needing help, and so did it, being more successful at trapping.
Quite possible in fact.

Comforting hugs.

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jean,
I feel your pain. I get really worried when my cat doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t show or come back even for 1 day.
I may sound crazy, but have you ever considered using animal communicator?
I have used it for few times and she gave me positive outcome every time.
You can send her picture of your kitty via e-mail and she will try to communicate him. Often kitties will go hiding if they are in pain. She may be able to tell you where he is hiding. There are a lot of communicators all over the U.S. Here is the website for the one I use. http://www.calmpet.com

I hope Oreo is OK...

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Perhaps someone other good people saw him sick and needing help, and so did it, being more successful at trapping.
Quite possible in fact.

Comforting hugs.
I would like to think so. But there are many many many stray and feral cats and not too many that will help. I will try to think positive. Thank you.

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kazy

Jean,
I feel your pain. I get really worried when my cat doesn’t show or come back even for 1 day.
I may sound crazy, but have you ever considered using animal communicator?
I have used it for few times and she gave me positive outcome every time.
You can send her picture of your kitty via e-mail and she will try to communicate him. Often kitties will go hiding if they are in pain. She may be able to tell you where he is hiding. There are a lot of communicators all over the U.S. Here is the website for the one I use. http://www.calmpet.com

I hope Oreo is OK...
I have to admit this seems a bit far fetched to me. I guess I wonder how it is possible. Also I don't have a picture of Oreo so wonder if she could still help me. Do you know?

Thank you for the well wishes.