New ocicat kitten has upper respiratory disease?

tange1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello -- My new ocicat kitten appears to have a upper respiratory infection - she is sneezing occasionally with discharge. I took her to the vet and have an antibiotic. Should I be concerned or will she kick this fairly quickly?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What a gorgeous kitten.

Was she shipped to you? It seems to be fairly common with kittens going into a new environment, especially if they've been shipped on public transportation. They just get exposed to new things along the way. Others in this forum have experienced the same thing. I would just give her the antibiotic and not worry too much. She'll probably start getting better within a day or two, but make sure you give her the full course of antibiotics anyway.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack had a touch of it. He's fine now. Its more the stress of traveling to a new place and the new smells, etc. in the house. As long as its clear its not too much to worry. It should clear up by another week. We've had Jack now for 2 weeks.

She's very pretty - what did you decide to name her?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 of my kittens went to their new homes 3 weeks ago. 3 of them were fine but then again only travelled by car the 4th got a cold, but he was flown. It's not uncommon when a kitten/cat is adjusting to their new environment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tange1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone - I think she is improving (less sneezing). She was brought by car over a long trip. 4 hrs with the breeder followed by 4 hrs with me (meet in the middle).

I have the antibiotic but I'm not sure when to stop giving it to her. I have a good sized bottle - I'll check w/ my vet tomorrow.

As of yet shes not really named - I'm still searching for geeky names. My current thought is 'Bowser' from super mario games.

Bowser is a typical wild kitten - running from one end of the house to the other, dragging toys around, carrying toys in her mouth, etc. She's learning quickly - I'm training her not to chew my house to death (wires, blankets, toes, my butt in bed (ouch), etc.

I guess the only other issue that has surprised me is that sometimes she smells like cat poop well after she's done. I can understand smelling a bit after using the box (she's not great at burying her business) but she sometimes seems to smell hours later. Maybe its a cat fart?

Edit: Born on Nov. 23 08

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a kitty "fart"
What kind of litter are you using and what food?

I still think the Dotcom name is cute and geeky for her. Anne cracked up laughing when I mentioned to her. But your name would fit her too with the Oci actions.

I will tell you that Oci's are pretty smart. Took Jack 2 days to figure out where to go to eat with his brother/sister. And now when its supper time - he's the first one down and on the counter!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bowser is a cute name but it sounds a little too much like a dog to me... What about Sonic?

tange1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's laying with me now - right now she smells (noticeable whenever you are anywhere close to her). Looking in her litter box I don't think she's gone recently. I'm feeding her what the breeder had been feeding her - fancy feast chicken and royal canin dry. The name is still up in the air..

Anything I can do to make her not smell so much?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you given her a bath? You could try unscented baby wipes or a damp towel if you don't want a full bath, but I've never had trouble bathing an Oci they just put up with it - of course they will voice their opinion, as with everything they do

tange1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do I need pet shampoos to give her a wash?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always used cat shampoo, but I know a couple of breeders that use either Pantene or baby shampoo.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have special cat shampoo that I bought at the shows. But have used Nexxus and Pantane shampoos on my Rex cats with no problems.

I'm gonna be giving Jack a bath tonite to test him out on when he should be washed for the show

tange1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

Have you had her checked for parasites? That could be the source of the odor.
She had a vet visit - I still owe them a stool sample.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tange1

She's laying with me now - right now she smells (noticeable whenever you are anywhere close to her). Looking in her litter box I don't think she's gone recently. I'm feeding her what the breeder had been feeding her - fancy feast chicken and royal canin dry. The name is still up in the air..

Anything I can do to make her not smell so much?
I think changing the food would be a good step. Try to give her a quality grain free food, and see if that helps. My baby Lucky had HORRIBLE farts and poop while on lower quality food (purina) - it got all better now that she is on Orijen.
When switching the food, you need to do it slowly though, to avoid upsetting her digestive system. In the course of 2 weeks, put a little more of the new food, and a little less of the old everyday, until all you have is the new food.
You can do a ton of research in here for what to look for in kitty food, but some good guidelines are: no by-products, no artificial coloring, flavors, and preservatives. No grain is better, but if you don't have a choice, choose white rice instead of brown rice. Try limiting the grains to one... Look for the most amount of meats in the first 6 ingredients, especially the first three.
If you want to continue to give her Fancy Feast, look for the flavors without by-products - some of them will have, some others won't.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got Jack - the first few days he got the FF. By end of the week he was eating the other brands the rest get (Wellness, Avoderm, Iams, Natural Balance, Max Cat).

I'm using the wood stove pellets for litter and have not noticed a strong odor. I do agree to get her off the FF as soon as you can.