Sunburn

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was looking at Petfinder yesterday and saw a beautiful white cat that I thought might be a Scottish Fold. When I looked at the profile, it turns out that the owners left this cat out in the sun too long and part of her ears had to be amputated due to a severe sunburn! How awful! Now she is with an adoption agency.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is why my white cats do not go outside. Poor thing!

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

normally sunburn isn't so much of a problem- that can heal with time. But white cats are prone to skin cancer on their ears due to constant sun burns.

This is quite frequently seen in white Greek, Spanish or Italian rescue cats.

Christine

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
White cats need suncream even if indoors and sitting in windows. I use Nivea for Kids factor 50 on mine. Once they get skin cancer it can often recur- our own Hissy's Twirl died of it last year.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

White cats need suncream even if indoors and sitting in windows. I use Nivea for Kids factor 50 on mine.
Oh my, I had never heard of this either. Our new boy Pyry has the cutest little pale pink nose, and so pink ears that they look like they have barely any hair. He is big on licking his nose (he sneezes easily after sniffing anything, like he has dust allergy) - how on earth would any suncream work?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by piikki

Oh my, I had never heard of this either. Our new boy Pyry has the cutest little pale pink nose, and so pink ears that they look like they have barely any hair. He is big on licking his nose (he sneezes easily after sniffing anything, like he has dust allergy) - how on earth would any suncream work?
With those pink ears and nose I think he would indeed be prone to sunburn.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It works as on a child. Just put on some sun block or high factor cream, rubbing it onto his ears and nose. He will hate it at first but they soon learn to accept it. Renew it if he licks it off and is sitting in the sun. Some surveys say that one in eight white cats develop ear cancer without protection so it is worth doing.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a conservatory (Sun room) and my three love lying in it in the summer, but my vet told me to put sunblock on Sophies ears because they were pink with sun burn

Now i tilt the blinds in the summer, and Sophie gets her baby block on her ears before she goes to sunbathe

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
White cat are prone to sunburn/skin cancer. My Ophelia Rose has the tips of her ears folded, and you can tell she's had sun damage. Unless they get worse - we will wait until the next time she's in for surgery & remove the tips of her ears.

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Dave is all-white, but he is indoor only. I do have an open airy house where he likes to sit in sun in all rooms, but never thought of putting sun block on him..Wouldn't he lick off/groom any sunblock I put on him, ingesting it? I would be hesitant to do so, as he would be eating all sorts of chemicals, no?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by David's Steph

My Dave is all-white, but he is indoor only. I do have an open airy house where he likes to sit in sun in all rooms, but never thought of putting sun block on him..Wouldn't he lick off/groom any sunblock I put on him, ingesting it? I would be hesitant to do so, as he would be eating all sorts of chemicals, no?
That is why I use a children's sun cream by Nivea as it is safe if licked off. But if you rub a little in well they will not be able to ingest it. And he only needs it on his ears (inside and out) and his nose.