Jake just had diarrhea

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking it might be because yesterday he was fed nearly wet only while he usually eats a mix of wet and dry. I took away his dry yesterday because I was frustrated that he wouldn't eat his wet food and it had been an hour, I didn't want it to get nasty or get bacteria. So he ended up eating it a few hours later, and then rather than giving him more dry I figured I'd just give him his next portion of wet. I gave him his dry back at night. I am hoping that this is an isolated case and he never has diarrhea again. It was just once, he used his litter box and I heard a splash coming from his stomach, and then I was sure he has diarrhea
. He jumped out of there with his paws all poopy and now he keeps doing a digging motion everywhere he stepped and made a poop stain lol. Please send vibes that he isn't sick and this is just from the food!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks
I was reading some stuff online and I read it's good to give cats pedialyte to help with dehydration?? Is this true? I'd never heard it before. Also read to give a quarter of a teaspoon of plain yogurt.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Thanks
I was reading some stuff online and I read it's good to give cats pedialyte to help with dehydration?? Is this true? I'd never heard it before. Also read to give a quarter of a teaspoon of plain yogurt.
If he only had diarrhea once, I wouldn't worry about dehydration.

I'll bet its from all the wet food.... Kizzy is the same, he'll have a loose stool over one feeding of wet, definate diarrhea if he only eats wet...doesn't matter what kind.

Jake should be back to his normal poos in a day or two.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It was probably just the wet food. Keep an eye on him to make sure things return to normal.

for sweet little Jake!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this your little guy who went to the vet last week? What wet food is he eating? It might be too rich for his system if it's causing diarrhea.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is eating authority chicken and lamb kitten formula. His poops are always smellier when he eats wet food..I mentioned this in another thread and sharky also replied the food might be too rich for him. I will try feeding him some other brand ..
So far he is showing no signs of any problems. He's been eating kibble and I saw him drinking at least 3 times so that's great. I was a little scared because he looked really freaked out after he pooped this morning. He was running around the entire room, and digging into everything. I think it's just cuz he was dirty and felt frustrated though. He cleaned himself and I cleaned the floor and my bed and now he acts normal, plays and everything. Now I just have to wait until next time he poops to be 100% sure that everything is fine!Thanks for all the vibes

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, pure little Jake! You could help him clean himself up with baby wipes. I've had to do that with Bijou a time or two. He had "will-nots".

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I helped him clean himself with baby wipes when he was a tiny baby too
He always seemed to have poop coming out until 6-7 weeks old, when he started to clean himself...Today though he did an amazing job cleaning himself all the poop was gone from his paws within a few minutes

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a tiny bit stressed- I just heard his bowls growling...I hope that doesn't mean another round of diarrhea coming his way. I am a little worried that he may have eaten a bit less than usual today too. Although I'm not sure I free feed him so I can't know for sure how much he eats.