TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Cat is misjudging jumps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cat is misjudging jumps

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
The cat in question is approximately nine years old (don't know for sure, adopted six years ago as a supposed three year old). She's always been as agile as any other cat, but since Friday, she's been repeatedly misjudging and missing when she tries to jump up on to things. I've felt around on her legs, paws and back, and she's not uncomfortable at all. She's acting perfectly normal otherwise- eating, normal litter, still playful and affectionate. Half the time when she tries to jump, she ends up falling short, and then tries to pull herself up by her legs (I help her up if I see it happen). What could be going on? Is her eyesight going for some reason?

It will be a while before I can get to the vet, so I'm asking here for ideas. If anyone thinks this might be something urgent, I'll definitely make time for the vet, but since she doesn't seem in pain, I didn't think I needed to rush over to the vet.
post #2 of 16
I was going to say eyesight. Our one-eyed kitty whose one eye doesn't have great sight had trouble when she was young judging distances, but has obviously learned to compensate. I don't know that there are a lot of options to correct cat eyesight, but if it were me I'd be rushing to the vet just to make sure it isn't a correctable problem that time might make worse.

Laurie
post #3 of 16
I agree. Sounds like an eyesight problem. Are her eyes starting to look cloudy or different in any way? I'd get her to the vet and get her eyes checked. At that age, eye problems can also be signs of other things, such as high blood pressure. As far as treatment or doing something to slow the degeneration...I really don't know what can be done other than very expensive ophthalmology referrals. But I would definitely get her eyes checked out also a general check up to make sure everything else is going well.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
She already has a checkup scheduled for later this month, so should I just wait for that?

Her eyes look fine and clear. No injuries or anything either as far as I can tell. She tends to get allergies this time of year (me too, bleh...) which makes her eyes get teary, but that's all that's different.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leporine View Post
She already has a checkup scheduled for later this month, so should I just wait for that?

Her eyes look fine and clear. No injuries or anything either as far as I can tell. She tends to get allergies this time of year (me too, bleh...) which makes her eyes get teary, but that's all that's different.
Once eyes start to degenerate, I don't know of anything to slow that (other than very expensive surgery). Now there could be something I'm not familiar with, so maybe give the vet a call and ask about it? And if she isn't having any other issues I'd say you'd be okay to wait until then.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Surgery would not be an option- I can barely afford to take care of myself right now (unemployed college student). I'll call my vet tomorrow morning and ask if they think it can wait, or if I should bring her in sooner. Thank you.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leporine View Post
Surgery would not be an option- I can barely afford to take care of myself right now (unemployed college student). I'll call my vet tomorrow morning and ask if they think it can wait, or if I should bring her in sooner. Thank you.
I understand. I too am a poor college student. You're very welcome. Good luck with your baby.
post #8 of 16
I'm thinking arthritis or some other physical problem. Second possibility perhaps a vision problem (problem with depth perception.)

Article that illustrates why considering the possibility of arthritis might make sense in this case.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0824215618.htm
post #9 of 16
I'd call the vet to describe the situation and see if they feel the check-up should be moved up a bit, as you said you're doing...I was thinking arthritis myself, but I think you need to see a vet to get a diagnosis...and maybe advice on how to make life easier for her if this is a part of the aging process...e.g., portable steps so she can get to high places without a big jump, etc.

Best wishes,
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
I'm thinking arthritis or some other physical problem. Second possibility perhaps a vision problem (problem with depth perception.)

Article that illustrates why considering the possibility of arthritis might make sense in this case.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0824215618.htm
Excellent point. Thanks for the link!

Laurie
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by darlili
....and maybe advice on how to make life easier for her if this is a part of the aging process...e.g., portable steps so she can get to high places without a big jump, etc.

Portable steps would be a big help. Even rearranging some furniture a little bit or putting some pieces in the right places for kitty might make a big difference.

Also, in this situation I would give Cosequin a try for at least two months to see if it helps.

Info:
http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products...in_cat_FAQ.asp

Amazon.com has it for a very good price.

I got mine here a few years ago
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3571
post #12 of 16
Any of the suggestions above could be an issue - also, another thing to consider might be potassium levels. Sometimes when senior cats' kidneys start working less efficiently they drink more water & urinate more, which can lead to depleted potassium levels. My senior cats are on potassium supplementation for this, and on the few occasions when I've missed a dose, my oldest will miss jumps in just the way you're describing. I'm not sure why, but some vets don't think about potassium deficiency unless the cat is obviously debilitated, so it's worth asking about getting her levels checked when you get her exam.

Whatever is going on, a vet visit with a thorough physical exam & bloodwork for your girl would definitely be a good idea.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties View Post
Any of the suggestions above could be an issue - also, another thing to consider might be potassium levels. Sometimes when senior cats' kidneys start working less efficiently they drink more water & urinate more, which can lead to depleted potassium levels. My senior cats are on potassium supplementation for this, and on the few occasions when I've missed a dose, my oldest will miss jumps in just the way you're describing. I'm not sure why, but some vets don't think about potassium deficiency unless the cat is obviously debilitated, so it's worth asking about getting her levels checked when you get her exam.

Whatever is going on, a vet visit with a thorough physical exam & bloodwork for your girl would definitely be a good idea.
I believe potassium is/can be related to muscle function (including the heart). I think that's right in humans. Not sure about cats. These things all make sense to me eyesight, lack of "spring in her step". My boyfriend's cat, as the cat aged, couldn't jump up on the bed anymore - he would miss and fall. Couldn't jump up on the counter either - which is not a bad thing. The other thing that popped into my head ---- and I AM NOT A VET OR A DOCTOR -- could be neurological. But best to start to rule out the simpler, age related issues.
post #14 of 16
Potassium! Yes! This possibility also makes a lot of sense.
post #15 of 16
a vet visit with a senior panel of blood work and urinalysis is what I would recommend ... I suspect joint issues
post #16 of 16
I had a cat that had the same symptoms, hers was ear an infection. Her balance and perception was off when she tryed to jump.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Cat is misjudging jumps