Siamese and Oriental Shorthair breeders

keke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum but I couldn't figure out where to post this.

My 14 yr old cat Precious passed away last Monday (see Rainbow Bridge forum for details). I've had her since she was 6wks old. Never living without a cat, we have decided to go ahead and start the process of looking for reputable breeders. From what I've read so far, it would be best to get 2 kittens at the same time. So we've decided to get two littermates. Does anyone know how easy this is to do? Being new to the cat breeder world, I'm not sure of any breeders' reputations of this breed. Can anyone recommend anyone? Also any advice of what to look for in a breeder? I'm used to the dog breeder world as far as health testing and guarantees go and being in the medical field myself, this is extremely important to me. Another thing important to me is socialization/temperament.

Thanks for any help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks mews2much. I actually just edited my post as soon as you posted. We've decided to just get 2 Oriental littermates. We want an ebony girl and a BEW girl!

keke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Here's a list for Siamese and Oriental Breeders to help you out.

Everytime I think I've picked out my fav Oriental color, I see another one I like better. Not sure of the cattery, but came across a stunning Silver Classic Tabby Oriental to die for!

http://www.breedlist.com/oriental-sh-breeders.html

http://www.breedlist.com/siamese-breeders.html
I know exactly what you mean! That's the website I've been looking at. I fell in love with a "ebony silver classic tabby" earlier, Ch Kuan Jin's Kismet, but I think DH likes the solid ebony's more. I need to ask him again because Kismet is gorgeous!

keke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

My mentor did not know anyone.
I am waiting for my other mentor to email.
Thank you for asking around!

Also, if anyone knows of any breeders NOT to go to, I'd appreciate a PM!

keke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just thought of a genetics question. Can there be a BEW and a green eyed ebony in the same litter?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will ask.
Cleos breeder is a Tica judge but I do not email him that much because I do not want to bother him.
I do not want you to have a problem like my sister is right now with a breeder.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep - one of the parents is a White to get an all white

The first OSH I ever saw was a stunning Ebony - you could see the shine on his coat a mile away (or at least across the show hall)! I'm not kidding. His name was Typha's Nite Sprite (you can look him up). He was a Grand in CFA, ACFA, and TICA!

I also like the Ebony Ticked Tabby, the Red McTabby, and recently saw a lovely Lavender & White. The Calico OSH's are cool too. But I prefer boy cats.

keke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've emailed a few breeders and I'm surprised at the responses I am getting. One simply said, "I'm too far for you, I don't ship pets." How do they know we won't drive to them? Another said that I asked too many questions and that they have a demanding job and don't have time to answer my questions and that "in any case it looks like you are sending out a form letter query to a bunch of breeders."

Is this to be expected by cat breeders? I must be used to dog breeders because my type of email is what they look for in prospective buyers. I would get compliments on researching things before I buy from someone and knowing what to ask. I am feeling a bit discouraged but hopefully they're not all like that.

Here's what I emailed:

Hello,

My husband and I are currently researching Oriental breeders. We live in Oklahoma City, OK with our 5 yr old daughter. Our 14 yr old cat Precious passed away last Monday and we miss having a cat in the house. I've had her since she was 6 wks old. We would like to get 2 female littermates or from different litters but around the same age as we've read that it would be best to get 2 kittens at the same time. We fell in love with the BEW and the ebony. I was wondering if you could send me your contract with health guarantees and info on how you raise your cats (socialization techniques, what food, etc.),price and what that includes, and possible future litters.

We only want to buy from a breeder who raises their cats indoors and feeds high quality food and are treated as a part of the family as this is what we'll be doing!

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon,

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you pm what breeders you tried to me?
I think you put a little bit to much for first contact.
Try going to cat shows also.
I had a breeder before I got Cleo and I even met her at a cat show.
We talked from last March to Aug then she played games.
She said I would get a kitten for sure and wrote me when they were born and everything.
Seemed nice also.
I hope I do not see her when I show Cleo next month.

keke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is very discouraging. If I get the same type of response from the others then I will look at Siamese and try a different approach.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KeKe

That is very discouraging. If I get the same type of response from the others then I will look at Siamese and try a different approach.
i know if i were a breeder, i wouldn't have a problem w/your questions.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i know if i were a breeder, i wouldn't have a problem w/your questions.
I know... It doesn't seem too much to ask at all...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most people won't send kittens to new homes until they're 16 weeks or so. I wonder if because you're saying you got your last cat at 6 weeks, they assume you went to a pet store, or a back yard breeder and want another teeny baby which they would never do? They could be fobbing you off just because of that. Take about the part about your last cat being 6 weeks old, or put in a little explanation about why you got her at 6 weeks old and see if your luck changes.

BTW - I grew up with a gorgeous ebony Oriental named Coco, this is her at 16