Bugsy trip to the vet today

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Bugsy to the vet today, as he has been digging into his ears way too much, and also has very bad teeth with red gums.
Here are the findings:
He has a yeast infection on his ears, and was prescribed Tresaderm 2x/day, for 7-10 days.
His gums are VERY inflamed, with a considerable amount of tartar. Since I can not afford to do a dental now, she put him on antibiotics for 7-10 days to see if it helps with the inflammation. The antibiotic is Clindamycin, and it is in liquid form. The reason for the antibiotics is that the inflamed gums are in reaction to the bacteria on the plaque, or something like that.
She said that he is too young to have this type of dental problems, and sometimes this is due to a genetic autoimmune response to the teeth itself. She said if the dental doesn't help, we will have a couple of options - she is NOT contemplating this yet, but it is a possibility.
1- treatment with cortizone for the rest of his life,
2- radical treatment by removing all of his teeth.

Anyway... I don't know what I am going to do at this point. The quote they gave me for the dental was $385.49. I do not have this money, and I don't know when I am going to have it

I will see if the antibiotics help - she said it will buy us some time, but only a few more weeks...
Oh well, poor bugsy, my lemon kitty!
Here is what is included in the dental:

Dentistry---------------$191.80
Fluid Set up Surgery----$79.20
Pre/Post op Analgesia---$40.60
Anesthesia Monitoring---$50.00
Clindamycin------------$18.90 (this I have, as she prescribed to me today)
Biohazard Waste Mgmt--$4.99

Does this sound correct? Should I shop around?

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've worked at 3 different vet clinics, and that seems a little high. $250-$300 is the running average around here. Now, could be totally different in your area. How old is Bugsy? And will there be any extractions this dental, or just a general cleaning? Any oral x-rays taken?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

I've worked at 3 different vet clinics, and that seems a little high. $250-$300 is the running average around here. Now, could be totally different in your area. How old is Bugsy? And will there be any extractions this dental, or just a general cleaning? Any oral x-rays taken?
No extractions, not x-rays. His teeth are not that bad, there is tart, but not a whole lot. His gums are the worst part...

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet charges me around 100.00 for a Dental. Thats with him using ISO for anesthetic which is a little more expensive.

I have had a couple cats with genetic bad teeth. When I take them in for dental I tell the vet to pull any teeth that are going to be a problem. I would read up on cortizone and long term usage.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

My vet charges me around 100.00 for a Dental. Thats with him using ISO for anesthetic which is a little more expensive.

I have had a couple cats with genetic bad teeth. When I take them in for dental I tell the vet to pull any teeth that are going to be a problem. I would read up on cortizone and long term usage.
She doesn't necessarily wants to do the cortizone treatment, but said it is an option in case he has indeed an autoimmune response to his teeth. I have read the long term risks, which is mostly diabetes...
Another option would be taking him to the SPCA of Dallas.
It would be $165.00, including a $30.00 pre-op exam. I think that's what I am going to do... I figure that it is best than going without it...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would shop around ... Kandie had multiple dentals no extractions from 10-18 yrs and hers ran 200-400 range.. make sure the low ones include pain meds and pre / post antibiotics

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I would shop around ... Kandie had multiple dentals no extractions from 10-18 yrs and hers ran 200-400 range.. make sure the low ones include pain meds and pre / post antibiotics
Thanks Sharky - I decided to take him to the SPCA - I made an appointment for the pre-op exam. The SPCA may or may not be able to do it - if it is a complicated case (which my vet told me it wouldn't be), they won't do it. I scheduled his appointment for April 2nd, which is the earliest app they have. I do have the antibiotics, my vet told me he is on the same one they would prescribe for after the dental, and told me to keep it for after the dental. The $165 price includes anesthesia, but not pain meds - but for my vet it didn't include it either... I will get it from them. I think it is going to be cheaper...
The dental itself if $95 SPCA, vs $191.00 from my vet.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I hope everything goes ok.
I rather pay more at the vets then use the Spca.
I had to many things go wrong where I used to live.
I know... I would rather do that too, but I don't have the $$$. I am unemployed, and I will be left without anything after the SPCA... If I had a job, I would definitely do it, but it's really coming down to SPCA or nothing. For the looks of his gums, I can not leave it alone. He needs it done, and that's all I can do... Everything I have is just enough for the SPCA. I will cross my fingers and hope for the best.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean about Jobs. I need one real bad but can not find anything. I hope everything goes well. At least you care about your cat.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If $$$ is an issue, I think the SPCA is a good way to go. Hopefully he won't have any further problems after this. Good luck to you and Bugsy!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YEYEYEYEYEY!!! I am so happy! My neighbor has a very good vet, 2 blocks from my house, and he charges $150.00 for a dental!
It's going to cost me an extra $48.00 since they want to see him before, but still, it is pretty much 1/2 price. I am going to transfer both my kitties to this vet, because not only it is much closer, but also cheaper - the consult is $48.00, while in my vet is $68!
I am taking Bugsy in tomorrow, and if he says it is necessary, I will get it done in there ASAP. Regardless, at least I will have a second opinion

My neighbor has been with this vet for over 10 years, and she loves him! I am so relieved! After I take Bugsy in I am going to cancel my SPCA appointment.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YIPPY ... and see what a little calling around does

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

YIPPY ... and see what a little calling around does
You know, totally true - this was a case where I thought this vet would be much more expensive than mine, because this neighborhood is the most expensive neighborhood in Dallas... That's why I didn't take them there in the first place - that goes to show that we really shouldn't judge a book by it's cover - no matter what this cover looks like!

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I missed this yesterday somehow.. Anyways glad to hear you found Bugsy a new cheaper vet so he can get his teeth cleaned soon.. Guess we should be brushing the cats teeth..

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I missed this thread yesterday too- but i'm glad you found a cheaper vet ..Good luck on his appointment tomorrow

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got sucked into dental work on my 9 year old cat.......5 years ago. Dental work is easy money for a vet IMHO.......They put the cat under (as sleep) and charge you up the butt
I paid like $150 for my male cat
Sounds like you have a blood sucker for your vet

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Slave2_Ragdolls

I got sucked into dental work on my 9 year old cat.......5 years ago. Dental work is easy money for a vet IMHO.......They put the cat under (as sleep) and charge you up the butt
I paid like $150 for my male cat
Sounds like you have a blood sucker for your vet
I don't know about being a blood sucker... She is a great vet, and I like her a lot. She works at a VCA hospital though, and I think they have a pretty unified price list.... I will be sad to leave her, but I need to be able to afford my babies' health care...