Side effects from Steroid shot

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zoey had to get a Steroid shot last week for skin allergies. She hasn't been in a good mood since. She seems to be depressed and grouchy. Has anyone ever gone through this? This isn't long term steroid usage. I don't believe in that unless it's the last resort. This is her first time ever getting shot.

She bit me hard today drawing blood when I was petting her. I want my playful girl back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Was it a Depo Medrol shot?
Coco used to get those shots but never acted like that from them.
Is the cat on other meds?
I don't know what what the drug name was. It's supposed to last about a month. Zoey isn't on any other meds.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the shot made her sore.
Coco had a big lump for two months that was very sore after she had steroids shots.
Is she sore at the shot site?

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry Zoey is having such a strong reaction to the steroid shot. Going by the info below you might want to get in touch with your vet and let him or her know how bad Zoey is feeling.

Among the
Potential Adverse Effects of Inappropriate (potency, dose, route of administration, frequency and/or duration) Corticosteroid Therapy
this article
http://www.newmanveterinary.com/steroids.html
mentions

behavioral abnormalities including depression, aggression/ rage, mania, hyperactivity
(I saved Dr. Newman's article a few years ago when one of my cats was getting steroid shots. I thought and still think it's one of the best articles on steroids.)

And you can find this sentence in this DVM answer:
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...roid-injection

Most cats will experience lethargy from the steroid shot for 24 hrs.
Hopefully the rest doesn't apply to your Zoey.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep thinking about this......and so I'd just like to add that most likely (I think we can in fact be quite sure about this) the reaction you're seeing is the result of drug sensitivity and not anything your vet might have done wrong. (Inappropriate dose or whatever.) Anyway, please do contact your vet as soon as you can.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called and he said to keep an eye on her. I just got her to play a little bit and she is sitting in the window enjoying the warm spring weather. She hasn't lost her appetite or had problems breathing. She has just been sleeping more and grouchy. Thank you for your information. Steroid shots scare me. This all started from an allergy to fleas. We got our first lesson in fleas when we helped a "cute pomeranian" dog that escaped from his home and was wandering the streets late at night, we made the mistake of letting him in because it was cold. We have been giving our cats revolution and frontline for several months. Zoey is really allergic to flea bites and breaks out bad. We have been doing everything to rid our house of the flea cycle. I honestly never see the little critters since the first episode but when Zoey gets one bite she starts itching and getting scabs. I know there has to be some still in the house. We are boarding the cats thursday and bombing the house. This whole experience has cost me several hundred dollars.

My poor little girl

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty Marley has an auto immune disease and has had to get a steroid shot beceuse of a flare up. He acted just like you are describing your cat. He is normally really playful, gets his kitty crazies every night and tears throught the house, he and my dog play all the time. After he got the shot he was mopey to the point of lehtargic. He didn't play a single time for an entire 2 weeks. Like you said though, he ate and drank and eliminated just fine. He would follow me around and when he would sit, his head would hang and he just seemed sad. I talked to my vet and they said it could last a few weeks. It lasted almost exactly 2 weeks, then one day I heard him doing his burrrrtttt in the back of the house and knew he was feeling better, after that within 2 days he was back to his crazy self. I do not like giving steriod shots, he was the complete oposite of his usual self. The shot he got was the Depo. So long story short,it may take a few weeks for her to feel completly normal again.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MarleyAndMe

My kitty Marley has an auto immune disease and has had to get a steroid shot beceuse of a flare up. He acted just like you are describing your cat. He is normally really playful, gets his kitty crazies every night and tears throught the house, he and my dog play all the time. After he got the shot he was mopey to the point of lehtargic. He didn't play a single time for an entire 2 weeks. Like you said though, he ate and drank and eliminated just fine. He would follow me around and when he would sit, his head would hang and he just seemed sad. I talked to my vet and they said it could last a few weeks. It lasted almost exactly 2 weeks, then one day I heard him doing his burrrrtttt in the back of the house and knew he was feeling better, after that within 2 days he was back to his crazy self. I do not like giving steriod shots, he was the complete oposite of his usual self. The shot he got was the Depo. So long story short,it may take a few weeks for her to feel completly normal again.
Thank you for your response. I was getting worried about her. I just want her to get in a better mood. She is normally my little terror cat. Yesterday I went and got her favorite treat and she had no problems scarfing that down. What makes it worse is I am constantly checking on her and I think i am getting on her nerves

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my rescues had to have steroid shots for years because of severe asthma. She didn't have any of the reactions you describe (though she was fairly grumpy anyway so maybe she did and we didn't notice!) The shots did cause significant swelling and weight gain though.

I hope your girl is feeling better today!

babsluv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

Zoey had to get a Steroid shot last week for skin allergies. She hasn't been in a good mood since. She seems to be depressed and grouchy. Has anyone ever gone through this? This isn't long term steroid usage. I don't believe in that unless it's the last resort. This is her first time ever getting shot.

She bit me hard today drawing blood when I was petting her. I want my playful girl back.
abbycats,

Did Zoey get better? My Babs just got a depo-medrol shot 5 days ago and she's still not herself. She just sits there and stares at the wall and isn't cuddly at all. I am so worried! My vet told me to wait a couple of days, and said the shot wasn't causing her behavior, but that's crazy because she was fine before, and immediately after the shot she became very lethargic. How long did it take for your kitty to return to her normal self?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabsLuv

abbycats,

Did Zoey get better? My Babs just got a depo-medrol shot 5 days ago and she's still not herself. She just sits there and stares at the wall and isn't cuddly at all. I am so worried! My vet told me to wait a couple of days, and said the shot wasn't causing her behavior, but that's crazy because she was fine before, and immediately after the shot she became very lethargic. How long did it take for your kitty to return to her normal self?
It will take about 3-4 weeks if this is a depo-medrol shot, which is the duration of the shot, provided the vet gave the correct dosage. It also makes them eat a LOT, drink A LOT, and pee a LOT! Please do a lot of research about this drug, as it does have tremendous side effects when used long term - if there is anyways for you to not use it, then don't; but if it is a matter of life or death, then of course use it... For me it was a one time deal, and never again! I HATE that shot.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabsLuv

abbycats,

Yes, Zoey got better after about 4 weeks. You may want to call your vet to let him/her know your cats symptoms.

Originally Posted by carolinalima

It will take about 3-4 weeks if this is a depo-medrol shot, which is the duration of the shot, provided the vet gave the correct dosage. It also makes them eat a LOT, drink A LOT, and pee a LOT! Please do a lot of research about this drug, as it does have tremendous side effects when used long term - if there is anyways for you to not use it, then don't; but if it is a matter of life or death, then of course use it... For me it was a one time deal, and never again! I HATE that shot.
I hate that shot too. I assume it was along the lines of the depo-medrol. I honestly didn't ask the vet which steroid shot it was, but he did tell me it was a long lasting one. I really hope I never have to get her that again.

espresso1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I pray my cats depression is due to the steroid shot he got 9 days ago. I was getting so worried that I would cry as I sat next to him and knew he wasn't himself. I didn't know what was wrong, especially if he was in any pain and I didn't know it.
Oreo had his first steroid shot in April because of allergies which manifested on his back paws. He was licking them raw. It worked but the licking came back in August, when he had a second shot. I did try giving him Benedryl orally but he had such a violent reaction to the taste that I opted for antibiotics and the shot. The vet said have a few steroid shots a year wouldn't pose any problems. A couple of weeks ago, the licking began again and rather than wait for his foot to get infected again, I took him in. He was also due for his yearly rabies shot and exam so the vet gave him the steroid and rabies shot. He assured me the 2 wouldn't react. About 4 or 5 days later, Oreo became depressed and sad. It was almost an immediate change. He was always playful and enjoyed playing catch. I would say he was a dog in a cat costume. But all that went away last week and I became very concerned. I researched depression and found some very scary articles. If it is the steroid shots, I don't know why this didn't happen the first 2 times he had them. And if it is the shot, why did it happen a few days later? I will most likely call my vet tomorrow but it seems it's a shared side effect by many cats. I can't wait for Oreo to get back to normal, even if it means he terrorizes and chases the other cat.

sumac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female was given the steroid shot instead of antibiotics. She had an inflamed bladder. She is very leary of everyone (yes even me) and trying to catch her twice a day for antibiotics would have been impossible. She then had her shots updated 2 days later. She has been an indoor cat for the past 7 years. Last Tuesday night she managed to get out while the trash was being taken out. I haven't seen her since. Before that she seemed fine. Infact she seemed friendlier and happier. Of course it has been raining here and cold. I have been out every morning and evening looking for her. I even got a trap from animal control. I have caught all the strays and a raccoon. I put food out but I know the strays are eating it.

When I called my mom to tell her this weird disappearing act, she said she had a cat who was given this shot. The cat suffered a stroke, got out and never came home.

If at all possible I would not subject a cat to this steroid shot. I know I will never give any of my cats a steroid shot again.

espresso1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope and pray your cat returns home, safe and sound. My heart breaks to think of her out there and for your suffering.

georgiagirl8

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stinkie has a skin disease and I use to allow the steroid shots for him. But after doing research online and finding out that it could shorten their life I haven't let the vet give him one since then. When I asked the vet about it, he did not deny this fact. I do have some trouble controlling his skin problem but I am just afraid to allow any more steroid shots.

catfreak64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat got a steriod shot because his paw was swelling and he had allergies....well the steriod shot it supposed to make a cat eat more but this time he wont eat at all he only drinks! we have to force feed him beacuse he has lost over a pound (10% of his body weight) from not eating and we are worried about his liver or kidneys failing. His next vet appointment is not till friday and its sunday. any suggestions? please

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several of my cats have had to have steroid shots before (Depo Medrol) and the only side effect I saw was increased appetite. One of my cats has had several of them due to his ongoing allergy/EGC issues, and he hasn't shown any other side effects that I know of. The only thing that's been different is he has been more affectionate but that occurs whenever he has a flare-up even without the steroid shot.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any experience with the Depo shot. But am interested in hearing what other's experience have been after the shot. I am thinking of asking the vet about this for Pipsqueak due to his terrible Folliculitis on his chin. Vet appt. tomorrow. From what I have read, Depo will make the kitties feel better and eat well and will help control skin swelling/infection.