TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › UGGGGGGGG: no neuter for Kizzy (URI, acne, frustration)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UGGGGGGGG: no neuter for Kizzy (URI, acne, frustration)

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I am getting so frustrated now.

He is 8mos old now. And sick again, or still.... I don't know.

One thing the vet mentioned is that since he was sick when I got him, it could have caused some damage to his nasal and he could be a chronic carrier for URI's. Ugggggggggggggg.

His lungs are clear, but his nose is not. He sneezes at least 10 times a day (even my hubby commented on it this weekend...which is weird cuz he doesn't pay attention to him) and snots boogers all over the place. I'm serious, if he sneezes near you WATCH OUT. Flying boogers. On my wall, on my floor, on my blanket, my couch, my chair. Lots of boogers.

(sidenote: it is ok to laff at the flying boogers comments)

He gets loose stools... diarrhea if fed wet for a couple days straight. Vet thinks he's got a sensitive tummy.

Sooooooo. Here we are now.

- vet gave an injectable antibiotic that lasts 2wks
- no booster shots today (he's only had his first one...still needs his 2 sets of boosters)
-repeat fungal culture to see that the ringworm is gone ( if its not gone, it certainly looks a whole lot better.... but I think its gone. He has a sore on his tail but it looks to be like the dry skin areas that he did have. The hair couldn't grow properly and ended up scabbing untill I lifted up the hair and removed the dry scab)
- no wet food for awhile.
-vet will call with the fungal results next wk.
- go back to vet in 2wks. If he's better we will do shots.
- my surgery is in 3wks.

If anyone has any thoughts/comments/suggestions about any of Kizzy's issue's, I'd be happy to hear them.

The only good thing about this visit, his weight is up to 10lbs even. In Dec. he was 4.7 @ 5mos, 7.3lbs at 6mos., 10lbs at 8mos. He's gonna be a good sized boy. I'm happy he's got something going for him right now.
post #2 of 15
dang, the latest or so cat journal from either Cornell or Tufts (I get both and get confused) had a story about chronic respiratory issues in cats. As I recall, sometimes they end up just living with it, just like people often do. I'll try to remember to find that issue when I get home from work and recap what they said.

Good luck to all of you!
post #3 of 15
oh man... I am sorry about your little boy.... I will be sending good vibes from Texas all the way to Canada.
I hope he feel better - his girlfriend Lucky is very concerned and wants him to be a good boy and take care of himself!!
Chop chop!
post #4 of 15
I hope something helps him and he feels better.
post #5 of 15
Occaisonally you'll see kitties who are, relatively simply, carries of URIs for life. My Molly does have herpes, but is also often fairly sneezy. There's not much we can do - lysine daily, anti-biotics when it becomes a full blown URI. When she goes in for surgery, she is on anti-biotics for a few days before & after - despite having what would likely be deemed a "mild URI".
post #6 of 15
One of the most experienced members of this board takes herself and gives her kitties GSE - grapefruit seed extract - and swears by it. You just need one or two drops per 10 pound animal, but if he doesn't drink all the water you put out in one day, maybe more per water bowl, just make sure to clean them every day. This may help in addition to the Lysine supplements. http://www.nutriteam.com/pets.htm

Laurie
post #7 of 15
I have no suggestions as this is unfamiliar territory for me, but I do hope that things start looking up for Kizzy soon. Poor boy, he's been through so much. Hang in there!
post #8 of 15
Oh wow poor Kizzy!

I hope he's feeling better soon!

(Flying boogers )
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
First off, thank you ALL for your support This has been very trying on me.....and has definately given me a different view on where to get another cat from (if I ever do). I love Kizzy, but am just frustrated because of one thing after another.

I really want him to get neutered and his shots...he's 8mos tomorrow and only had the initial vaccines, no boosters. Luckily tho, he's showing no signs of spraying or behavioural changes. Hopefully he gets well and I can get him neutered before he starts spraying.


Quote:
Originally Posted by darlili View Post
dang, the latest or so cat journal from either Cornell or Tufts (I get both and get confused) had a story about chronic respiratory issues in cats. As I recall, sometimes they end up just living with it, just like people often do. I'll try to remember to find that issue when I get home from work and recap what they said.

Good luck to all of you!
Thank you, I would appreciate that very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
Occaisonally you'll see kitties who are, relatively simply, carries of URIs for life. My Molly does have herpes, but is also often fairly sneezy. There's not much we can do - lysine daily, anti-biotics when it becomes a full blown URI. When she goes in for surgery, she is on anti-biotics for a few days before & after - despite having what would likely be deemed a "mild URI".
Interesting. I did buy some lysine and started giving it to him bout a week ago when I saw the zits on his chin (didn't know at the time if it was acne or herpes).

When he first came to me, he had wheezing, some eye discharge but no sneezing. I got his first shots a month later, and he started sneezing about a week after the shot. (Jan.). His chest is clear though.... when his nose runs, it is clear, but when he sneezes, it's yellow/green boogers that come out, some eye watering.

Are most URI's caused by the herpes virus? Is that why the lysine helps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDG View Post
One of the most experienced members of this board takes herself and gives her kitties GSE - grapefruit seed extract - and swears by it. You just need one or two drops per 10 pound animal, but if he doesn't drink all the water you put out in one day, maybe more per water bowl, just make sure to clean them every day. This may help in addition to the Lysine supplements. http://www.nutriteam.com/pets.htm

Laurie
Thank you. I am very "pro" natural remedies if I can. I will do some investigating on GSE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post

(Flying boogers )
It is funny.... they literally fly across a few feet. He's definately got some projection on them boogers
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
Occaisonally you'll see kitties who are, relatively simply, carries of URIs for life. My Molly does have herpes, but is also often fairly sneezy. There's not much we can do - lysine daily, anti-biotics when it becomes a full blown URI. When she goes in for surgery, she is on anti-biotics for a few days before & after - despite having what would likely be deemed a "mild URI".
my herpes girl, Pixel is quite sneezy, as well - altho no 'flying boogers'
post #11 of 15
Oh boy, sounds a lot like my Stanley. He was already neutered when we got him, but he was about the same age and he was sneezing blood. They must have neutered him when he was sick. It took about three months to finally get him stable (although he is a life-long sneezer/wheezer).

The treatment that finally worked was zithromax and interferon. Turns out he had multiple issues from starting out life with a cat horder. He is a chronic herpes carrier (controlled very well with daily lysine in his food) and he is always a little sneezy, but they are not as "productive" as they once were. My baseboards, appliances and windows are cleaner these days

It was really frustrating trying treatment after treatment and not seeing any improvement, so I understand . I am, however so glad that I stuck through it because he is a fantastic cat and companion. We use corn & wheat litter because the clay dust aggravated his breathing issues (and DH). All in all, he lives a pretty normal happy life.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBella View Post
Oh boy, sounds a lot like my Stanley. He was already neutered when we got him, but he was about the same age and he was sneezing blood. They must have neutered him when he was sick. It took about three months to finally get him stable (although he is a life-long sneezer/wheezer).

The treatment that finally worked was zithromax and interferon. Turns out he had multiple issues from starting out life with a cat horder. He is a chronic herpes carrier (controlled very well with daily lysine in his food) and he is always a little sneezy, but they are not as "productive" as they once were. My baseboards, appliances and windows are cleaner these days

It was really frustrating trying treatment after treatment and not seeing any improvement, so I understand . I am, however so glad that I stuck through it because he is a fantastic cat and companion. We use corn & wheat litter because the clay dust aggravated his breathing issues (and DH). All in all, he lives a pretty normal happy life.
Thank you so much.

I know you're not a vet, so from your experience, how much lysine do you add for Stanley?

Thankfully he hasn't wheezed since the beginning....He was treated with the Canadian equivalent to Zithromax (if memory serves me right)

This time, she gave him a shot instead, which now I'm a little peeved about.

Anyways, we'll see how it goes. Kizzy is acting the same, so the shot didn't seem to affect him at all.

Thanks for all the support.
post #13 of 15
Sending healing vibes for Kizzy

I have a herpes cat in my house and I understand the flying boogers real well. My little guy flings some really big ones. He gets Lysine and usually is on a couple rounds of antibiotics a year. None of my other cats have contracted herpes from him.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady View Post
I know you're not a vet, so from your experience, how much lysine do you add for Stanley?
maintenance dosage is 250-500 mg per day - doubled during flares.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
maintenance dosage is 250-500 mg per day - doubled during flares.
That's a good starting dose. We ended up giving him 500 ml a day regularly (broken up across two meals) 750-1000 if he's sneezy.

Good luck.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › UGGGGGGGG: no neuter for Kizzy (URI, acne, frustration)