Questions about heat and such

tweetykiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first experience with a kitten. I want her to have a chance at motherhood. We will off course give the kitties away and keep a female kitten so there is no inbreeding.

Now how do I know when she is in heat? Will she bleed and if so, what to do about that?

I went to YouTube and watched some birth videos and baby kitties too.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tweetykiss

My first experience with a kitten. I want her to have a chance at motherhood. We will off course give the kitties away and keep a female kitten so there is no inbreeding.

Now how do I know when she is in heat? Will she bleed and if so, what to do about that?

I went to YouTube and watched some birth videos and baby kitties too.
Oh, don't worry - you will know she is on heat - she will go nuts crying, meowing, and most likely peeing everywhere.
Please note though: Once she starts peeing to mark her territory, you will have a very hard time stopping it.
Also note that females that are not spayed runs much more risks of illnesses, cancer included. I would rethink really hard this decision to breed her - it might satisfy what you want, but it is not what is better for her.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please reconsider your decision, you could be putting your cats life at risk - if you just let her outside to mate, you dont know what the male might be carrying, and they can get pregnant by more than one cat. She could end up FIV or FeLV+, neither of which are curable, and FeLV can dramatically shorten their lifespan, and both illnesses can cause miscarriage. Then there is the risk of her not being able to give birth if she gets pregnant too young, and it could cost a lot of money for a C-Section. Cats dont feel the need to be a mother like we do, she will be much happier never having babies than having to go through pregnancy and birth for them to be given away. And there is a major cat population issue at present, and while you will probably have no issues finding a home, a cat in a rescue could die because of it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
just FYI - TCS stance on pregancy/spay/neuter:
Please make sure to spay and neuter your cat. Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old. By spaying and neutering you enhance your cat's quality of life and improve his or her health. You are also proving your love for cats because in acting as a responsible pet owner you are minimizing the problem of cat overpopulation.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, as said, you want to think carefully. I know what you mean when you say you want kittens-I love them too!

You could try contcting your local shelter and talk about getting a foster cat(a pregnant cat that came in- you have them for the birth, and then when the kittens are ready for adoption,they can go back to the shelter, or you can find homes for them.)
If your set on having her kittens, then you'll know when she's in heat!(around 6 months). Theres no blood, but she'll be crazy, meowing and stuff. Its best for you to wait a while until after her first heat cycle, so her body is a bit more mature.(At least 9 months) Then things are alot less likly to go wrong.
And its better if you know the cat she mates with...then you know the due date, and you know she's not at a high risk of diseases.
Here's a god site for you:
http://www.cat-pregnancy-report.com/
Good luck!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PLEASE do not breed this cat but spay her. She is what is called a moggie or a mutt cat and thus you cannot be sure what genes she carries. Most vets will spay between 4-8 months , some as early as 8 weeks.. Feel the need to experience birth and raising very young kittens , foster a pregnant cat from a shelter

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The idea of fostering a kitten is a great one. I just sent a foster kitten back to her adoptive mom. I've had her almost 2 wks, and believe me, having a kitten is so much fun, but boy, am I glad to see her go. Of course, I fell in love her with, but it will be nice not to have to worry about the kitten while I'm gone out, or anything. Like motherhood in general, It's great, but when they don't require you 24/7 it's even better.

mary

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8 weeks ago I took in a pregnant stray. Her babies were already moving her belly which meant she was pretty far along. I took her to the vet and had her tested for disease and was disheartened to be told by the vet that she was healthy, flea and worm free and was quite possibly a pet thrown out because she came home pregnant. I was livid. Not only was her owner irresponsible by not spaying her, but they threw her out to have her babies on the street where they would continue to add to the pet overpopulation.

5 weeks ago she gave birth to 5 beautiful babies, who I can now guarantee will never add to the pet overpopulation short of being a product of an irresponsible owner. I can also guarantee that momma will never be a mom again and will get to be a kitten and enjoy life without responsibility.

Please don't bring more kittens into this world--regardless of whether you can provide or find homes for them. If its kitten birth you want to witness, foster, provide love, safety and a great start to some cat family like I have.

I check craigslist everyday and see the multiple posts daily of people getting rid of their cats. We dont need anymore!

Leslie

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with all the other posters. My cat was an accidental pregnancy I did not choose to get her pregnant. I wish every day I would have done the smart thing and gotten her fixed earlier because now that she's had kittens shes not the same cat anymore and has turned mean, and There is a good chance I have to get rid of her. If I would have gotten her fixed earlier None of this would have happened and I wouldn't be losing my baby. So if you love your cat, get her fixed. There are so many kittens and cats out there that need homes already. But we can only give you advice, Your going to do what you want anyways regardless of the effects of your choices. Just please think about what you are about to do.

cococalypso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cat went into heat, I thought I was gonna go nuts! Please spay your cat, she was sooooo unhappy in heat, I got her in to a vet as soon as possible, but there was a waiting list, (I live in a small town with only 3 vets) I had to use a different vet than my own and pay more, but oh it was soooo worth it! I really think she was in pain the whole time! My next cat will be spayed earlier!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by tweetykiss

We will off course give the kitties away and keep a female kitten so there is no inbreeding.
Please dont GIVE them away. Charge payment for them! Most people think what is free, is worthless. Thus, do charge payment.
If it feels awkward to you to demand payment = money, let them donate these money in the cats name somewhere. A cat shelter, Red Cross, etc.

I too agree completely with all the others who answered you above.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a warning---it wil be VERY VERY hard to find (truly) good homes for the kittens. You'll have wackos calling at all hours. You'll have to tell the bad owners to scram. Having kittens is fun, but trying to find good homes for them is not.

I would not recommend allowing your cat to reproduce.