Great Video of Hypoplasia Kitty

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't my video. I just came across it on YouTube and wanted to share.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing!

I'm so glad someone posted this on YouTube since so many people watch a lot of videos on it. I'm sure very few people know what hypoplasia is. Charley is such a handsome playful kitty!
I'm so happy he's in no pain and enjoying life!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of our members on this forum has a cat with this disorder. If you look at the right on that youtube page, you'll see lots of videos of cats with varying degrees of disability. They seem to be happy, well-loved, and pretty well-adapted.

devanagara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a little choked up. Charley looks like such a kind, loving guy.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for posting that video!

A good friend of mine runs an animal rescue centre and had 2 cats come under her care with this disorder. Many people said that she was being cruel by not having them destroyed....all you needed to do was spend 5 minutes with them to see that they were very happy cats and I'm happy to say that they both found loving homes

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had brothers come in with something similar... I don't know if it was CH, but it sure seemed like it. Two gorgeous longhaired cats - one black and one orange. Sweet as pie. They found homes, too.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had 2 littermate kittens come in with CH here. The female was worse off - they were adopted into a home & last I heard doing great.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

One of our members on this forum has a cat with this disorder. If you look at the right on that youtube page, you'll see lots of videos of cats with varying degrees of disability. They seem to be happy, well-loved, and pretty well-adapted.
Mike, I don't know if you're thinking of us (specifically Ming Loy
), because I remember when you posted the link to the "drunken kitty" video and so many people had a problem with it because of the title - and it was really such a sweet video.
But it didn't do as good a job as this video did in getting the message across!

Our Ming Loy is kind of "opposite" Charley - he wobbles mostly from his back legs. Ming Loy wobbles mostly from her front legs. Her sister has a much milder version of CH. She was adopted by one of the vet techs that fell in love with her.

But I think there are a number of CH (cerebellar hypoplasia) kitties on TCS now. I know for sure Shorty14788 has one, Weebles.

Charley - what a sweetie! And how cute is he? They did a really nice job with that video. Once you get past the handicap being something that tugs at your heart strings, they're totally entertaining kitties. Ming Loy can't fly up that cat tree when playing with the others - but she never lets it get her down.
She's got her ways of getting back at them, the little sneak!

Laurie

Edited to add: when they're little kittens, they do require some special stuff. Well - at least we thought she did. Because most of them can climb, while they're still learning their limits, they can go up, but can't necessarily get down. And while they're young, they're still learning muscle control, and can really get the speed up like a normal cat - but can't necessarily put the brakes on like a normal cat. So we padded our ENTIRE house. Every corner of wall or furniture. Pillows at the bottom of ANYTHING she could fall off of from high enough to get hurt. And the bottom of the stairs. We only had to keep it that way for about 6 months - but we're obsessive freaks, and she probably didn't need that stuff that whole time. No one visiting us ever even asked - they always assumed we lived in a padded cell.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for that link - it really made my morning.

Charley looks like such a happy sweetie. He certainly doesn't seem to see anything wrong. I read somewhere that "Cats don't see themselves as having a disability, they just see a challenge that they have to work around."

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was heartwarming. Charley looks like he lives a pretty good life (and I love to see kitties snuggling
)

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ReeRee has this.
I love that video because it shows how awesome and special these cats are and that they deserve a chance!

ReeRee and his brother were up for adoption and I wanted his brother because in watching them play he had better control of himself. I was concerned about the potential for litterbox probelms. (turns out reeree is the most FASTIDIOUS cat with the litterbox)

But ReeRee stole my heart when he took a break from play and wanted a little snuggle with me. His brother wanted no part of it! So I took home ReeRee and it was the best decision! He is just the BEST cat you could EVER want. He is silly and happy and loving and percocious. He constantly amazes me with what he is capable of doing, he doesn't let anything stand in his way! I only wish now that I had gotten both he and his brother! I wonder often how his brother is doing.

If you have it in your heart to make some necessary changes to your home to accomadate their special needs they are a wonderful addition to a home.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what the best part of that is? Charley doesn't even know he's got a problem. That's fantastic