Can you really have two lapcats?

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In 1996 I took care of my friends cat for two years while he finished school. My cat of 13 months then had nothing to do with me anymore. I remember the painful memory of my cat that use to come lay by me attempt to do so the first time but when she seen/smelled the kitten near me no matter how much I made room for her in the same spot, called her, she never slept by me again for the full two years. I really only seen her during feeding and them running around playing, she didn't need me anymore.

Is that what largely happens when you add another cat into the mix? I ask because now I have a 10 month kitten saved last year from the wild outdoors that shows alot signs of single cat issues even though I am around most of time and I am toying around with this idea while he is still young to avoid all the common introduction stresses if I would even do it. There are some little all black male kittens needing a home in various shelters here.

I would really hate for him to not sleep by me anymore when the kitten marks me. I only have 500sq apartment so maybe this is a bad idea? He has never sprayed or had a litter issue a day in his life(neutering at 5 months) and that is the one thing the landlord will not tolerate nor could I in such a small place. Can two males neutered as soon as possible live together without spraying? Though he has all his claws he still has the habit to use his teeth alot which could be quite rough for a new little feline as he is very long ten pound boy.

I wish cats could talk to see what they really want, maybe I shouldn't rock the boat, faint memories of two cats running around crashing into things in middle of night all time comes back to me. He just seems bored only living for food now and just sleeps 98 percent of time and doesn't play with me during toy session like he use to, yet is more vocal and destructively knocking alot stuff around. I guess it would be nice to do test run first.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i had a pair in a similar sized place. i currently have 5 in a space about twice the size of yours. they mostly do well together. sometimes they choose to 'rearrange' sleeping spots at my bedtime - confuses the heck out of me, doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to them... altho sometimes i prefer the original arrangements.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best thing I ever did was to get Bugsy, to make Lucky company. They are today the best of friends, and always together... They both sleep with me on my bed, and if anything, Lucky is closer to me that she ever was before... I highly recommend getting another one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So none of you seen behavior changes or less bonding with you?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by madara

On the contrary - Lucky has flourished a lot since Bugsy came in, and is much more attached to me than before. She does not seem to be jealous of Bugsy, and they have become the best of friends, even though he has been here for a little less than 2 months.
I, as a human, could never provide the interaction they have as cats... I also live in a tiny one bedroom apartment, but they find enough space to climb... There is no problem at all. I would invest in a window perch, and a cat tree or shelves, if you could. The window is definitely my cats best entertainment, besides each other - it's like their own version of a large HDTV!

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I think it must depend on the cats in question.

We just took 4th cat, and I was worried what will happen. I have made sure I baby the three big brothers extra - especially because the little brother is a loving fool and knows how to take his space and mushing. I have to say that all three brothers have been more affectionate towards humans during this first month, they seek more lap time and snuggle into my pit, they follow me around more actively and make sure that they get their allotted 'personal times' (they have their favorite times).

First night that new guy was out, everybody flocked onto the bed, even the brother that usually does not sleep on the bed. After the first night there was a bit of pouting because new guy took someone's spot, so for couple of nights there were protest absences from couple of kitties. Now things are back to normal when they noticed that little bro is flexible and moves about.

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow thats great, good to know. I guess its makes sense my little high maintenance angel back then was the exception. My sister came over today, first time she seen my 9 month old, he does not get any human interaction besides me but he so mellow I was surprised. He was sniffing her for ten mins, she tried to pick him up and got scratched all down her arm. Makes me wonder if I am already too late to add a kitten during the coming season or if he his feral instincts are too much even at 9 months. Then again being picked up is alot more intense for a cat then petting. Either way I guess I should find a place that will let me do a slow two week test run if those exist.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a similar situation. My boyfriend moved in with me three months ago, bringing his 2 yo neutered male, Luke, with him. I have a 6mo recently neutered male. Our apartment is about 700sq. ft. Neither had previously had a problem with spraying and no problem has showed up. At first, Luke was very very upset and plan scared of tiny little Harvey. After lots of work with them and lots of patience, they are now the very best of friends. Both boys are big time cuddlers, and usually I've got one on my lap, and my BF has the other! Or they'll just sandwich me to the couch/bed.

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww!! Now you did it CatNurse, such a story how can I resist that! I guess with kitten season coming soon now is the time to try this. How bad can it be right? Slow week intro between doors, food during meeting to reinforce positive togetherness, the scent exchange etc. I dearly miss my 13 year old feline that passed on last year but I think she had to be an incredibly high strung cat for all I dealt with to hear all these success stories.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the cat, but if introductions are taken slowly, it can work out. My male cat & DH's male cat (both neutered) got along beautifully after a slow, careful introduction. Now they love to play wrestle together, and I've caught them grooming each other a few times. My boy cat is my lap cat, and DH's is his, so there isn't much competition there, but I have another female cat who is also a lap cat - they'll often both try to lay on my lap at the same time, which sometimes results in a bit of a scuffle. She doesn't get along too well with the other cats, unfortunately - she mostly just puts up with them unless they get too close.

Good luck!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My brother has five who sleep all around him and on top of him, and cuddle with him all the time.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I have two neutered males in my 1 bedroom apartment - about 850 sq ft.

I adopted Spooky when he was 7 months, and adopted Mulder to go with him when Mulder was 8 weeks and Spooky was 13 months.

They are both serious lap/lover kitties. They are both very bonded to each other and to me, I have not noticed any detachment from either.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 4 lap cats. At any given time, one of them is almost always in my lap, though not as much in the Summer when it is hot. When I get in my recliner and put my feet up, I typically have 2-4 sitting with me. I will say that every time I've added a new cat to the family, I always felt bad about it for 1-2 weeks because the old cats were upset by the newcomer. After that first couple of weeks, I always ended up scratching my head wondering what the big fuss had been about.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both Swanie and Cindy sleep in the bed with us at night. Sometimes both of them, sometimes I will go to sleep with one of them there and wake up and the other one will be there. Cindy is not really a lap cat, but she likes to be near us. Swanie is so much a lap cat I pretty much can't sit on the couch without him joining me. The other day he was stretched out on my lap, and Cindy decided to come and join him, so a few minutes anyway I had two cats on my lap. I wish DH would have been down here to get a picture of that one