iPhone questions...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm going to be getting an iPhone soon - just had a couple of questions.
according to my provider, a data package is included [& required by Apple]. just wondering if this is true for others, or unique to my provider. because i never check my email on the phone [altho that may be because my current one takes forever to do so & the screen/display is tiny].
ringtones - can you create your own? what apps are necessary to do so, assuming it's possible?
i've ordered a case & screen protector [even tho i don't have the phone, yet
] that i think i'll be happy with - got lots of good reviews.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love love LOVE
my iPhone!

This is the first honest to goodness cell phone I've had. I had pay as you go ones before because I didn't really "need" one. Then Earl got one and I kept swiping it every time we went anywhere, so when we got some extra, unexpected money we got one for me.

As far as I know, AT&T is the only provider for the iPhone, although you can now purchase the iPhone at other places. You do have to get a data plan, but you will use it for SO much more than just checking email...which is very simple too. You can even get the ICanHasCheezburger app and check out all the new ICHC and other pics of that type. There is so much you can do with this "phone" you won't even know how you got by without it before.

You can even surf TCS in the browser when you're waiting for appointments and such. The "keyboard" is really easy to use, too.

ETA, I don't think you can make your own ringtones, which is the biggest downside I can find. You can make your own wallpaper for the phone from the pictures you take with your phone (which is actually a decent little camera...the December shot of Ginger Cookie that actually won the Photo Contest was taken with my iPhone), or other pics you've saved (like LOLCats or ICHC) or transferred.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i thought you might be able to... saw an app that suggested that you could, using something called Garage Band [another app].
just wondering - the data plan will raise my cell phone monthly fee to $42, vs. $12... but i was paying $25 [just lowered recently] so from $25 it's not much of a difference per month.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister got an iphone through her work and her first bill including start up was $180.

She thinks its going to be about $125 month??

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
mine's less, because i'm on a family plan w/my parents & sister.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i thought you might be able to... saw an app that suggested that you could, using something called Garage Band [another app].
just wondering - the data plan will raise my cell phone monthly fee to $42, vs. $12... but i was paying $25 [just lowered recently] so from $25 it's not much of a difference per month.
I would love it if you could make your own ringtones. Apple is pretty proprietary with the whole iTunes stuff.
That's really about the only thing I dislike about the phone. I'm an iTunes novice and I still can't figure it out.
Oh well, I've got the stuff I need figured out, the rest would be sugar.

Watch out for the first bill, because they do charge for the initial setup.
I forgot about it until I saw Gail's post.

There's boatloads of free apps, some just as good or better than the pay ones.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm... according to the AT&T site, there's not a set-up fee? i'm upgrading from my current phone. there's an upgrade fee, the data package plan monthly charge, but that's all that's listed.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

hmm... according to the AT&T site, there's not a set-up fee? i'm upgrading from my current phone. there's an upgrade fee, the data package plan monthly charge, but that's all that's listed.
Huh, maybe that was because I was a new add on to the plan? Could be, I'm really not sure how it all worked. I wanted one, so we paid whatever they said.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Huh, maybe that was because I was a new add on to the plan? Could be, I'm really not sure how it all worked. I wanted one, so we paid whatever they said.
hey, look what i found! create your own ringtones!
PocketMac RingtoneStudio for iPhone
also found this info on Apple's site:
Custom Ringtones \t\t\t\t\t\t\tCreate your unique ringtone from more than half a million songs on the iTunes Store. Buy a song for 99¢. Turn it into a custom ringtone for another 99¢. At $1.98, thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s still less than most ringtones sold elsewhere. The ringtone is entirely your creation. And the song is yours to keep.

bad_kitty2001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my iPhone back in september and I used it a lot. I think i have a 59.99 or 69.99 plan but I pay $20 for unlimited text and the data plan is an additional $30. I total $115 a mo. I am always texting and checking my email tho so I get a lot of use out of my iPhone.

You can create your own ring tones using iTunes. The only thing I don't like about that is that you have to pay .99 to buy a song and .99 to turn it into a ring tone. What is nice tho, is you can customize your ring tone to play whichever part of the song you like. I know a website where I get my ring tones for free. www.myxer.com

I have quite a few apps as well. I love guitar hero and rock band so I play Tap Tap Revenge. Also, on the phone you just click on apps and it will come up with a huge list and you can search by category to see if there is anything you are interested in.

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

Why is my siggy not showing up except for the url.
i see it... are you still not seeing it?