Runny Eye

samlovesba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

So BA has a runny eye, and usually it's mostly blood. Anyone ever go through this, or know what I should do to help her. I'm taking her to the vet as soon as I can, but no car. It's been doing this since I first got her..

this is what came out of her eye, before I read a response of not to pat it with a paper towel.. oops.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it is blood? it may be chronic conjunctivitis from having a herpes infection. A cat will have a dark almost black discharge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samlovesba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, its definately blood. It's mixed with the tears from her eyes so it's like an organgy-reddish color.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like maybe it was an injury? and maybe it never healed??? you said it has been like this since you found her? Have you mentioned it to the vet before?I hope you get it figured out and cleared up soon!Good luck

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SamLovesBA

So BA has a runny eye, and usually it's mostly blood. Anyone ever go through this, or know what I should do to help her. I'm taking her to the vet as soon as I can, but no car. It's been doing this since I first got her..

this is what came out of her eye, before I read a response of not to pat it with a paper towel.. oops.
If you have no car to get kitty to the Vet, what about a taxi? (put kitty into a carrier, check first if they would allow this) Don't you have a friend or neighbor or family member who could drive you? Obviously bloody discharge from a cat's eye is not normal and must be assessed by a vet ASAP. This kitten is counting on you.

samlovesba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well in our small town we don't even have taxi's.. Friends Family, they all are on hard times and always "forget" to stop by.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A warm compress (wash cloth in warm water rung out) will help soothe the eye. Also, you could put a couple of drops of saline solution in her eye. Does she paw at it?

samlovesba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

A warm compress (wash cloth in warm water rung out) will help soothe the eye. Also, you could put a couple of drops of saline solution in her eye. Does she paw at it?
nope! just goes about his business as usual.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't look like blood to me just what we call at our house "eye juice" it's not red though it's brown and it's all over my text books

Definitely get it checked by the vet though, just to be safe.

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have noticed Diva has that problem as well. I have just been wiping it clean with a wash cloth. It does not seem to be causing any pain and she is not pawing at it or anything. It is sort of that brownish color.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard that the darker color is a bacterial growth, but it could also be a chemical reaction when the normal fluid meets the air.

A vet can give you (or you might be able to find it at a pet store) an eye wash called "Opti-Clear" that is basically a saline solution with a little boric acid (about 1%). You can make a similar solution youself, using contact lens saline solution and adding a little boric acid (available at drug stores). I would guess something like 1/4 teaspoon in 8 ounces. You can also make that by using distilled water, a pinch of salt, plus the boric acid.

If it doesn't clear up in pretty short order (a week or so), it definitely calls for a specific vet visit.

beccajean4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little one thandor has the same issue with his right eye... we went to a vet the said it could be from a URI that could sometimes affect the eyes we got a ointment ( basic ingredients of neosporin) and it never went away he still has the teary eye. I know dogs get the stainy tears... does anyone know if cats can get the same?

samlovesba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beccajean4cats

My little one thandor has the same issue with his right eye... we went to a vet the said it could be from a URI that could sometimes affect the eyes we got a ointment ( basic ingredients of neosporin) and it never went away he still has the teary eye. I know dogs get the stainy tears... does anyone know if cats can get the same?
I don't know, Dozer, my friend Adam's dog always looks like his eyes are bleeding.. But he's the only dog I've seen that did that.. I sure hope kitties don't get that, well actually you really wouldn't be able to tell on BA.. hm.