Newbie From The North

katyabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Oddly enough I don't have any cats of my own but I do have a whole bunch of feline friends where I work, the SPCA in Northern Alberta.

I used to have a bunch of kitties when I lived in Ontario but they're being taken care of by family now. I miss them terribly but I couldn't make ends meet in Ontario. Luckily I found a job out here that allows me to work with animals and be able to support myself. Otherwise I'd go nuts, I have to have cats in my life!

Here are some of my furry friends:

Juicey and myself

Sugar Foot

Pinkey

Fonzie, Bonnie, and Maria

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi KatyaBella,

All animal lovers are welcome here...
see you around the site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katyabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tweetykiss

That is a very cute cat. I have to admit though that I am afraid of dogs.
I was afraid of dogs too when started working at the SPCA. I was scared to death to go into their kennels and replace there food and water. At first I'd just open the door wide enough to shove their bowls in and quickly close it. They bark and jump up and I thought for sure they'd bite my face off.

I've learned you have to act like you're confident and in control when you're around them, even if they're being hyper and barking and you really are scared. 99% they'll respond to that.

Now when I go to replaces their bowls I say "SIT!" before I open the door, I walk right in with food and water in hand, walk past them with the door shut behind me, I keep I eye contact with them and say "Staaaaay. Good. Good. Staaaaaaaay." and I've not had any problems with them jumping up or barking or trying to pull me down.

Dogs in general will treat you however you let them treat you.

Cats on the otherhand
There's a few in ISO that I don't even go near unless I'm wearing a thick coat and gloves. Some are feral, others are domestic cats that are either abused or they're really freaked out by their new surroundings. Eventually they warm up though.
Just takes effort and patience.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!
We are so glad you have joined us!

If I can help you with any questions you have about the site, please click on my username and send me a message.