Virus attempt on cat site anyone else?

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning when I clicked on the thread Saturday mornings my Nortons popped up that it had blocked a virus attempt..
A browser exploit at www.thecatsite.com was blocked.browser path C:/program Files/Internet Explorere/:explore.exe
High Risk
name/ Msie ADODB.stream object File Installation weakness.

No other threads have done this..Maybe a mod should delete this thread?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got something that my computer blocked, but it came up as a popup that said something about an update is needed to continue, click ok when I clicked into the Lounge, not even a specific thread. Uggg
(I have windows vista so IE blocked it and didnt tell me what it was or where it was trying to download to)

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My webscanner (updated early this morning) picked up nothing.
If anything, your alert probably came from an advertising banner and not the cat site itself.
Since the banners are chosen randomly from a set list, deleting the thread itself will solve nothing.

mobius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Norton internet security blocked something, not sure what though.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in the Fur Pictures forum and my antivirus popped up twice saying I was at risk of getting a trojan horse from typyxiolix.com/stats-xp/

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, something completely locked up Firefox today when I tried composing a post. (and that's really rare) I saw something strange in the status bar, killed the processes and rebooted. It all happened so fast. What I think I saw was a sequence of maybe seven numbers, a dot, and some letters, which might have been followed by another dot, or maybe it was preceeded by a dot. It was NOT an IP address, it was NOT a filename, it was NOT an URL, at least nothing I've seen before. Does this sound like what happened to any of you guys? My anti-virus and anti-spyware did not alert.

I'm also using Spyware Blaster, so it's also possible something may have tried but been foiled by it.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

My webscanner (updated early this morning) picked up nothing.
If anything, your alert probably came from an advertising banner and not the cat site itself.
Since the banners are chosen randomly from a set list, deleting the thread itself will solve nothing.
Our ads are served from several large and respectable ad networks. I have seen issues in the past, so it could be an ad, in which case it needs to be reported to the network. Chances are it's already been reported and dealt with. (The way it works is that advertisers there upload their ads on their own, so it's possible to sneak something in against the network's policies, but these ads do eventually get caught and filtered out).

Let me assure you again that we do not have any kind of installers and not even pop-ups on TCS. Please, if you see anything odd, try and grab a screenshot, or at least note what ads were showing up at the time - thank you!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't get a shot of when it actually popped up, but here's what my antivirus says now...

It happened three times Saturday and once Sunday (early am, just a few minutes ago). I'm using Mozilla Firefox and I use Windows XP. If it happens again I'll post a pic of what it looks like on my computer. Very weird!

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also am having this happen! So far my computer has blocked it everytime, but it's happene dlike 4 times

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

Please, if you see anything odd, try and grab a screenshot, or at least note what ads were showing up at the time - thank you!
While I can see where this would be very helpful, a user's first reaction upon seeing anything odd is to get rid of it and right now. A screenshot has to be has to be "shot" then loaded into a paint program then saved as a file. All precious seconds going by when you don't know if something bad is happening. The detective work has to wait until you're sure your computer is clean.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having the same problem. I just clicked onto the forum and a message popped up that I had a virus and automatically redirected me to another website that looked like it was trying to load something. I closed out of it too quickly to notice exactly what it said.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too much pops up, and very quickly, to screen cap it all.

It takes IE to a fake page called "My PC online" and there's a fake warning saying:

"Warning!! Your computer contains various signs of viruses and malware programs presence.

Your system requires immediate anti viruses check! Antivirus 360 will preform a quick and free scanning of your PC for viruses and malicious programs."

The fake page looks like My Computer, and it has red numbers in parenthesis under drives and folders saying things like "155 trojans".

Those that get this, whatever you do, do not click ok or cancel! Cancel the process (IE) completely.

...now I need to go make sure DH computer is fine - obviously I'm seeing none of this on my pc.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I have had no problems, but I'm using firefox. I'm wondering if this is an IE issue?
I'm using Firefox on Mac and it's happening to me almost every time I try to access the forum now.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gee, I thought FireFox and Macs were immune to these things?

It hasn't happened to me at all, and I'm using FireFox.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Gee, I thought FireFox and Macs were immune to these things?

It hasn't happened to me at all, and I'm using FireFox.
Macs are immune to the viruses, but not to people's attempts to pass them along.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had any problems at home or work either one.

ETA: As a subscriber, I have the ads turned off so I'm wondering if its related to those? Anyone have ads off, and still getting issues?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Probably. That didn't pop up on DH computer until ads started loading.

I'm using firefox on linux with adblocker plus and seeing absolutely none of this when I go to the site.

Just something for people to think about - the only time I ever got a trojan (virus, etc) when using windows was the result of one being hidden in a site's ad. At the very least everyone should be using an adblocker if one is available to them.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shouldn't your AV catch that, though?

Mine caught one once hidden in a .gif file on a website. I looked at the file in a text editor and there was javascript executable inserted at the tale end of the file after some blank space (gif files allow metadata) using the javascript function that evaluates binary data as executable code. The webmaster was flabbergasted when I emailed him.